Hard milling Mirror finish. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
    Chief- Keep in mind there are limits to what milling can accomplish and a Haas is not the most rigid machine in its class. Suggest you get in touch with Robb Jack company, they specialize in tools for jobs like this and have excellent technical resources.
    Thanks colt45 Iíll look into robbjack Iíve heard of them but never looked into them Iíll give them a look!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1415
    Likes (Received)
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    its a small part if you can pick up part without needing a crane
    its a very small part if you can pick it up with one hand
    its a miniature part if you can pick it up with 2 fingers
    its a microscopic part if you can hold part on one finger
    What do you call parts that need tweezers and are assembled under a microscope? We've got some of those here. We call them "dust".

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Manitoba
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    84
    Likes (Received)
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    What do you call parts that need tweezers and are assembled under a microscope? We've got some of those here. We call them "dust".
    Well, one thing for sure those parts are not not machined on a HAAS. Now I can see how 0.078" endmill becomes a huge facemill.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    You can get a really nice finish in 56 HRc S7 with a Carbide Hard Milling End Mill but to get a mirror finish you need a harder substrate than carbide: I'd go with a CBN End Mill. CBN End Mills are more expensive than Solid Carbide but they will give you a mirror surface finish in Tool Steels and hold up well (as long as there isn't interruption). Here are 2 options:
    CBN End Mill: 2mm Dia x .236" Reach x .004" Corner Rad
    CBN End Mill: 2mm Dia x .393" Reach x .004" Corner Rad

    Here are parameters for S7 (56 HRc)
    RPM: 22,000
    IPM: 35.4
    Axial DOC: .002"
    Radial DOC: .047"

    If you only have a 12K spindle run at 12,000 RPM and 19.3 IPM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1415
    Likes (Received)
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigor View Post
    Well, one thing for sure those parts are not not machined on a HAAS. Now I can see how 0.078" endmill becomes a huge facemill.
    We job out the production of those to a shop that cuts them with a laser, but I've prototyped a few on the 15KRPM VF-3SS using endmills down to .010". "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools."

  6. Likes [email protected] liked this post
  7. #26
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    2,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    886
    Likes (Received)
    1640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigor View Post
    Well, one thing for sure those parts are not not machined on a HAAS.
    Wanna bet?

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToolHIT View Post
    You can get a really nice finish in 56 HRc S7 with a Carbide Hard Milling End Mill but to get a mirror finish you need a harder substrate than carbide: I'd go with a CBN End Mill. CBN End Mills are more expensive than Solid Carbide but they will give you a mirror surface finish in Tool Steels and hold up well (as long as there isn't interruption). Here are 2 options:
    CBN End Mill: 2mm Dia x .236" Reach x .004" Corner Rad
    CBN End Mill: 2mm Dia x .393" Reach x .004" Corner Rad

    Here are parameters for S7 (56 HRc)
    RPM: 22,000
    IPM: 35.4
    Axial DOC: .002"
    Radial DOC: .047"

    If you only have a 12K spindle run at 12,000 RPM and 19.3 IPM.
    Thanks toolhit... I appreciate the feeds and speeds I also just donít think 12k rpm is enough to get a mirror finish plus running it on a haas.... weíre in the market for a hard mill leaning towards the makino F3

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Manitoba
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    84
    Likes (Received)
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Wanna bet?
    No bets. Anyone can make claims of success on even the loosest of machines.You just never hear about how much time or how many times they had to redo the part before actual success.
    I'm just going by "microscopic" parts as previously mentioned.

    What do you consider microscopic???

    For myself, microscopic "dust" is 50 microns wide and smaller. That's my criteria, not that it counts as anything I've said has been shot down.
    The Haas comment was a joke.
    I guess I need to use more emoticons because somewhere down the line the translation is getting twisted.
    Either that or I don't speak American well enough.
    I'll stay out of your thread as parts the size the OP is dealing with is not what I work with day in day out.

  10. Likes mhajicek liked this post
  11. #29
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1415
    Likes (Received)
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigor View Post
    No bets. Anyone can make claims of success on even the loosest of machines.You just never hear about how much time or how many times they had to redo the part before actual success.
    I'm just going by "microscopic" parts as previously mentioned.

    What do you consider microscopic???

    For myself, microscopic "dust" is 50 microns wide and smaller. That's my criteria, not that it counts as anything I've said has been shot down.
    The Haas comment was a joke.
    I guess I need to use more emoticons because somewhere down the line the translation is getting twisted.
    Either that or I don't speak American well enough.
    I'll stay out of your thread as parts the size the OP is dealing with is not what I work with day in day out.
    Hey, no hard feelings. Worked the first time, but the machine's only two years old now and we get it calibrated every year; third cal coming up this month. Holds tenths easy, just gotta treat her right and not like a 50 taper; though I have taken shallow passes with a 5" face mill in 17-4.

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    england-newcastle upon tyne
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    132
    Likes (Received)
    154

    Default

    Think maybe you would be better off showing a sketch of what your doing as its got me confused probaly Im not the only one.A sketch and the way the job is gripped then you will get a better response,who knows maybe a better method


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •