What's new
What's new

Hardinge CHNC w/Siemens 810T battery alarm AFTER replacing battery

pianoman8t8

Hot Rolled
I fired up the machine today to put a new battery in since it's been several yrs since I've put a new one in. Fired up fine, pull out battery tray, put new battery in and put battery tray back in, but now the "ORD 6 Battery Alarm Power Supply" alarm won't clear. Now what? I did verify the voltage prior to installing, 3.6v on the money. Old batt also has 3.6v. Swapping old battery back in does not clear it. Any ideas? Thanks!

If it’s like my 820t there are two batteries. One in the battery tray in the back of the display, and a second on the RAM card mounted in the interface card in a little slot. This battery is soldered onto the board and Siemens say throw the old card out and fit a new one! I soldered a replacement in satisfactorily.
One battery gives a Fail #1 the other a Fail #6 but I can’t remember which is which

Yeah I've heard of the one on the RAM card, I didn't have any alarms prior to removing the easily accessible one. Looking back at my photos a few yrs ago, "1 ORD 1 Battery Alarm power supply" was the alarm I got when I replaced this battery about 3 yrs ago. And I loosely recall the alarm clearing without much issue then. Hmm... Maybe the RAM battery is indeed going (or gone).

I remote mounted both batteries in a sealed box. My machine had been left by the previous owner and the RAM battery had leaked and dissolved much of the interface card, the RAM card and even the card cage Thread here (Battery issues start at reply #27, battery box change at reply #838 :

The Sequel - Oh Blimey I bought a CNC Lathe (Beaver TC 20)

Attachments

• New-Box-Labelled.jpg
    New-Box-Labelled.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 81
Wow, that was in rough shape! I was actually replacing mine prior to sending the machine elsewhere where it may sit powered off for a couple/few months. SO I wanted to be sure it had a fresh battery in it. Now this... I wonder, if when I slide the control out the front, if maybe the "NC POWER" plug-in terminal got tugged a little too much (it was sitting kinda crooked in it's terminal) and caused this alarm? It's a 24VDC terminal according to the voltmeter. I still have the control on right now for fear of having to recommission it. Which I've done before, but I'm strapped for time right now.

If it's the RAM battery, no matter what I'll have to recommission it, since yanking out the RAM board will lose everything. I don't think I had to do much when I recommissioned it last time, just enter in values supplied by Hardinge, and something with the spindle drive settings (drift?), and backlash comps. But while it's on I can look up those bits and write them down prior to puling RAM card.

Before I did the mod, not only did I get a spare RAM card on which I changed the battery, but I got a second spare off eBay which I 'de-batteried' and added wires.

The first replacement RAM card still retains the data, and is safely boxed away, but after this exercise total re-loads no longer freak me out - I've done it so often during this rebuild.

During this whole CNC lathe rebuild I've learnt a lot, I taught myself 'Step5' PLC programming, managed to down load the (totally undocumented) PLC code, and added a few ladder rungs to give it functions that I wanted that didn't exist.

Needless to say it's my own machine and a hobby as all this work would not be commercially viable

That's awesome! Out of curiosity, what function(s) did you add?
I did order a TL5135 battery this morning, hopefully in by the end of the week, since we're leaving for vaca Friday, and the plan was to move the machine out the day after we get back. Hopefully I can have this back up and operational by that point.

I added 'washdown' with solenoid valves diverting coolant from turret to hose, but inhibiting if door open or spindle turning. Also I added a solenoid to de-pressurise the coolant system when stopped by 'M09' as my Grippex bar puller wouldn't open after grabbing the bar (It's a gear pump and obviously doesn't leak enough!)

Also I wanted these functions to use buttons on the 820T panel rather than have to add new ones!

Attachments

• Third-Depressurisation-Valve-Added.jpg
    Third-Depressurisation-Valve-Added.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 81
For some closure, the alarm went away and didn't come back after turning the control off and on again. Repeated the power cycle a couple times for good measure, no problems. Sweet!

Back