What's new
What's new

Hardinge CHNC1 E-Stop problem

hmcbandit

Aluminum
My Hardinge CHNC1 with a fanuc 0T control is stuck in a e-stop condition.The machine was warming up at 500 rpm with the collant on and it just went into e-stop, there are no messages or alarms and it just will not get out of e-stop. I tried powering it down and restarting but I get the same difference.Anybody have any ideas what I should be checking for (I know its a loaded question) or could it be as simple as a stuck switch on the membrane pad?. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks HMCBANDIT

My Hardinge CHNC1 with a fanuc 0T control is stuck in a e-stop condition.The machine was warming up at 500 rpm with the collant on and it just went into e-stop, there are no messages or alarms and it just will not get out of e-stop. I tried powering it down and restarting but I get the same difference.Anybody have any ideas what I should be checking for (I know its a loaded question) or could it be as simple as a stuck switch on the membrane pad?. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks HMCBANDIT

I don't know your machine, but I will make a guess that there is a Limit switch, proximity or position sensor somewhere that is telling your controller that something is not in the right place for start-up. Such as a latch, hasp, door, fluid level, or anything that MUST be in a certain position for start up to occur --- really just a guess but this is the type of thing that I have run into on many types of equipment not related to machining. Hope this helps in maybe looking at things you might have missed . Good Luck and Merry Christmas --- :cheers:

Last edited:
Hardinge chnc1 E-stop problem

Thanks for the input but no luck yet,the only message I get is a #2003 telling me to zero return my x and z axis but I can't do that till I get out of the e-stop condition.The shop is on the cold side so I don't know if that could be a factor, the other thing I notice is the e-stop reset button does not have a crisp action to it but I don't know how to check it.I'll keep plugging away at it,any more input would be appreciated.Thanks hmcbandit

I'm not familiar with Hardinge, but I would start with the things that were running at the time. Was any axis moving when it failed? Are there any faults on the spindle drive? Is the thermal overload tripped on the coolant contactor? Check these things and we can start narrowing things down.

Dan

Hardinge CHNC1 E-stop problem

The axis were not moving at the time it shut down and I checked the way lube and its topped off,the coolant pump breaker was not tripped and no signals or alarms other than zero out the x and z axis (#2003).I am trying to find the location of any fuse relative to the coolant pump or e-stop functions. I'll keep you posted if I come up with any thing . Thanks HMCBANDIT

Bandit, do you have the wiring diagram? If so, look for the E-stop "string". It's called that because the components in the string are all in series, so the power has to pass through them in order. If any of the components fails, the string is broken and the machine goes into E-stop.

Typically, the components might be:

• the E-stop pushbutton switch or switches
• the axis limit switches; often only one per axis, with a dog to trigger it from each direction
• thermal overload relays for the motors, usually mounted under the contactor
• certain circuit breakers for important circuits (not for a worklight, for instance)
• a pressure switch, for low hydraulic or air pressure

It could even be a bad power supply that powers the E-stop string. The voltage coming out at the end of the string should be the same as whatever goes in at the beginning. So, if the voltage is low to begin with, it's treated the same as an interruption by one of the components.

The string could be something like 120v AC, or 24v DC, which is why the electrical diagram is so important here. Also, the the diagram should show the wire numbers that connect each of the components, so you can find that wire number in the back of the machine and measure the voltage at each point where the power goes through a component, then the wire number is changed as the power then goes to a new component. If you don't have the diagram, I think you're gonna need help from Hardinge.

The spindle drive or servo drives could also cause an E-stop, but I'm going to guess that neither is the problem, because you would likely also have an alarm on the display, or an alarm indicator on the drive.

Good luck.

mt

I doubt it has to do with the e-stop string. Have you checked that the axis drives are online? When you reset at startup is the axis drive shunt relay clicking? You didn't provide much background, but I assume you have the Siemens drives and motors. Check the 2 fuses that connect the motors to the drive, they are 6 amp slow blow motor fuses and will cause the behavior you are seeing. Also, the optical relays they use to control everything do go bad, they can fail open or closed and control a great deal of the machine.

Try holding down the over travel release switch. Hold it for a few seconds and then, while still holding it, try to move an axis. I doubt this is the issue, but it's the first thing I do when a machine is stuck in E-stop.

Are your Hydraulics kicking on? I have a funny feeling that your main contactor died. I don't know how Hardinge wires up their machines, but most likely it's the biggest contactor in the back of the machine. (on older machines) Check if it's getting 120v. If it is, and it's not pulling in, the contactor is dead. I've seen that happen a lot. It would make sense in your situation. The contactor just dies and thus the machine falls into E-stop.

Good luck

You didn't provide much background, but I assume you have the Siemens drives and motors.

Uh, no need to assume, Perry. Bandit's first sentence sez "My Hardinge CHNC1 with a fanuc 0T control".... But, then, I guess I'm the one assuming. I've seen about a dozen of these machines, all having Fanuc controls and Fanuc drives. Are there some built with a Fanuc control but Siemens drives?

Hardinge CHNC1 E-stop problem

Thanks for all the feed back, I ordered a wiring diagram for the machine today hope to have it in a day or two.Talked to Hardinge today and they think the problem is relative to the coolant pump,he asked if I hit the relay after tripping the coolant pump breaker but seeing that I didn't see one my answer was no.I'll dig a little deeper and see what shakes lose,again thanks for the help.HMCBANDIT

I recall having this problem with my hardinge a couple of years ago. In the back control panel on the right top side there should be some green colored fuses. I think two or three fuses are located there and the smaller one had blown on me. This solved my problem at the time. I guess that this would not be a bad place to look.

Hardinge CHNC1 E-Stop issue

Just getting back to all that helped on this problem, it was the coolant pump.It must have been a little to cold in the shop when I fired it up and the fact that I use a fairly heavy duty cutting oil must not have helped the situation. it tripped out the circuit.I reset the breaker but there was a reset button that I had to hit but it was not in the location that the service tech said it was but we got her up and running. Again thanks for the help.

Back