Hardinge cobra 42 fanuc 21t love it or leave it
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hardinge cobra 42 fanuc 21t love it or leave it

Got a cobra42 near me that I am going to pop over and see. Anyone have known big things to check? this Would be our first lathe. just a Dad\son home garage team. It Is Under power and they offered to let us make a part or two. I do all our own service and repair on our old 98 haas vmc so not afraid to dig in. Thoughts on the unit as a starter unit very much appreciated! Can I get parts on hardinge or am I doing used parts and little\no oem support

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love mine, holds a few tenths all day. No hydraulic pump makes it simple. Make sure you can get the chuck with it as well.

Simple control, easy to run. But took me a bit to learn it. You’ll need a usb to rs232 transfer adapter to make file transfer easy.

You can get parts from Hardinge still. But mine has only ever needed a coolant pump and a turret encoder belt due to it stretching and drying out.

All I do is change the battery once a year And clean the tank

Light but bulletproof machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

great machine, I've got 4 of them running production all day everyday. holds great tolerances. hardinge support is now a pain, but it does exist and the guys are knowledgeable when you can get ahold of them

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a Cobra 65 with the 21T control. Loved the iron but hated the control. They were meant to be true production machines and most of the features in the control are accessed with soft keys so unless you run it a LOT doing thins on it are rather painful. Switched over to an Okuma lathe with a newer 200 control and it is SO much faster to setup and run different parts on. The Cobra made money but I would only use it for big runs because setup was so unpleasant. Support wise, we have one Hardinge machine left and my takeaway from it is have a good local service guy who knows the machines. Hardinge is very hard to get any info or support out of and I doubt I will buy another.