What's new
What's new

Hardinge Fanuc 21i-TB x axis error codes. Help please.

accuratepaul

Plastic
Having issues with a Hardinge Conquest GT27-SP gang tool lathe ( bought new 2006 ) running Fanuc 21i-TB.

This morning had the 300 APC alarm. Changed batteries. Reset X axis
Zero position.

Reset tools. Then the job ran fine for about 20 minutes after axis reset, then just stopped running during cutoff.

(The job had been running for 2 weeks with same feeds and speeds, stock, etc,
so no changed parameters. Machine runs about 6 hours a day).

Codes displayed after it shut off :

453 X AXIS:SPC SOFT DISCONNECT ALARM
300 APC ALARM : X AXIS NEED ZRN
362 X AXIS: ABONORMAL REV. DATA(INT)
367 X AXIS:CONT MISS(INT)

To be clear. I had the 300 alarm, changed batteries, reset X axis zero position,
job ran for 20 mins then shut down during cutoff with the codes above. Battery was new.

Have read maybe bad cable. Oil intrusion, etc.
I've taken all of the covers and guards off.
All connections look clean and dry.

Any ideas on what the issue is given the list of codes?
Any trouble shooting steps I should take?

Any help much appreciated!!

Could be the cable or the encoder could be going bad.

Are the encoders on the X and Z the same model? If so swap them to see if the problem follows the encoder. Should be able to swap the cables as well, provided they reach to both motors.

Could be the cable or the encoder could be going bad.

Are the encoders on the X and Z the same model? If so swap them to see if the problem follows the encoder. Should be able to swap the cables as well, provided they reach to both motors.

Thanks for the quick response!Honestly we've had this machine since new in 2006.
With the exception of basic maintenance and control battery changes I have not have
to do anything to except for changing a pressure switch.

We are a 2 man shop and the other fellas level of knowledge on this is limited to
turning it on and pressing the start button. We have no dedicated maintenance staff or electricians
on staff.

It seemed to me that the most likely problem was a bad cable. Later today I need to contact
Hardinge and find a replacement.I'm going to start there and hope this fixes the problem.

As far as swapping cables and such that would be way above my comfort level. The concern being I
screw it up and cause some real damage. Also the cable routing is at this point a bit of a mystery
and I'm worried I'd be opening a can of worms. But basically you are saying swap them over and see if
I now have Z axis issues instead of X, yes?

The other fella here aka the owner is under the impression that it's caused by a dud battery.
Can you dispel this notion or could there be some truth to this? My understanding was that the
battery holds the zero position only and that the communication issues are unrelated. Is this correct?

Thanks
Paul

I don't think the batt holds anything while the control is "up".

My guess would be the cable since it has come and gone and come back.
Does this cable move with the slide, or stable?
If it moves, then you may have rubbed through at some point, and just pulling it out and taping it up will likely get you through for some time.
Also - if it is worn through - just simply re-aranging the cables in the conduit can likely get you going for now too - as well as show you where the problem is for sure.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

As far as swapping cables and such that would be way above my comfort level. The concern being I screw it up and cause some real damage. Also the cable routing is at this point a bit of a mystery and I'm worried I'd be opening a can of worms. But basically you are saying swap them over and see if I now have Z axis issues instead of X, yes?

Correct.

The other fella here aka the owner is under the impression that it's caused by a dud battery. Can you dispel this notion or could there be some truth to this? My understanding was that the battery holds the zero position only and that the communication issues are unrelated. Is this correct?

Thanks
Paul

Your understanding is correct. The batteries only provide power to the encoders while the machine is powered off. Under normal circumstances you could power up the machine and pull the batteries out and the machine would run without issue, as power to the encoder is being supplied by the amplifier. Your first post said that you reset the home position and began running the machine. If you did not power off the machine between resetting the home position and the alarm reoccurring, the chances of it being the batteries are effectively nill.

Thanks for the clarification!
At some point today I'll try to do a continuity test on the cable.
That's if I can get a hold of probes that are of a small enough diameter
to actually fit in the connecting plug holes!

Back