Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, I know on some older machines if you have the rapids at 100% when you home it will overtravel. My Tak is like that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I start the zero return process by moving -Z an inch or so and then -X until it stops on its own (approx 1"). Then Z+ and it starts to home itself, hits the decel limit switch and slows down until it over travels and throws a 1018 overtravel alarm. This alarm pops up and disappears real quick. I had to read the messages to find it.

This stops the zero return process, and thats where I stand now.

So I feel like the Z+ over travels and stops the homing procedure. I never get to try to home X+, the machine wont let me try until Z+ is done first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This sounds like the time to employ the P/Can.
    It seems that you think that you have done this already, but what you are telling me is that you apparently have not done it properly.

If you are getting an O/T alarm, but the machine is still "up", then that would be a software O/T, and not a hardware O/T.
    (You are not physically setting on the O/T switch)
    Meaning that the control thinks that it knows where it is, and it has now traveled beyond that point, and still not seen the HOME switch.
    By booting the P/Can, you are dumping the preconceived notion of where it thinks that it is, and it looks for the HOME switch blind.

Now - if it doesn't see the HOME switch this time, it will go full travel and hit the hardware O/T switch, and the machine drops out.
    If this is the case, then you may need a new HOME switch. But we're not there yet.

Try rebooting with the P/Can held down. KEEP it held down!
    Hold the buttons down before you start the boot, and don't let up!

If this is older 18T (which I think that you said that it was?) then it may not boot all the way up with those keys held down, so just hold them until the boot process stalls, and then let up.
    This time try running the Z in further. As I said before, on my (not GT) machines, those want to see 2.5" of travel.
    Your smaller machine could be less, but maybe not as little as 1"?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    OIx

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    This sounds like the time to employ the P/Can.
    It seems that you think that you have done this already, but what you are telling me is that you apparently have not done it properly.

If you are getting an O/T alarm, but the machine is still "up", then that would be a software O/T, and not a hardware O/T.
    (You are not physically setting on the O/T switch)
    Meaning that the control thinks that it knows where it is, and it has now traveled beyond that point, and still not seen the HOME switch.
    By booting the P/Can, you are dumping the preconceived notion of where it thinks that it is, and it looks for the HOME switch blind.

Now - if it doesn't see the HOME switch this time, it will go full travel and hit the hardware O/T switch, and the machine drops out.
    If this is the case, then you may need a new HOME switch. But we're not there yet.

Try rebooting with the P/Can held down. KEEP it held down!
    Hold the buttons down before you start the boot, and don't let up!

If this is older 18T (which I think that you said that it was?) then it may not boot all the way up with those keys held down, so just hold them until the boot process stalls, and then let up.
    This time try running the Z in further. As I said before, on my (not GT) machines, those want to see 2.5" of travel.
    Your smaller machine could be less, but maybe not as little as 1"?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    OIx

I tried holding them down for 2 min and didnt do anything different.

Tom at Hardinge just sent over the instructions (same ones I already have). Told me I would have to call [email protected] if it doesnt work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20 seconds would likely be enough.
    30 on the way outside.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the slides to not be where the control thinks that they are, after rigging and shipping the machine - is not hard to believe.
    Not sure why this is not working for you tho.

To get around this, maybe try this:

While power is completely off to the machine, try turning the Z axis ballscrew a little further in Z+.
    At least one full turn, and maybe several, just don't get up to the limit switches is all.

Then try again, and this time you shouldn't need the P/Can, as it will likely see the switch before it expects to, and I don't think that will likely be a problem.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I reboot from P/Can I get the Relative and Absolute coordinates zeroed out. The machine coordinates are different and not correct just by eyeballing it.

I overtraveled the x ax to see if I had to P/Can to get it back or not. I did need to P/Can this in order to free it up to move back into parameters.

When I home the Z ax it does the same thing but I can get it back without rebooting, just have to hold E-Stop Reset. It is stopping .001-.002 beyond .000". Almost like it should be doing just that.

After looking at the Z ax undercarriage, I can see that the dogs appear to be doing what they should, where they should.

This is getting a little frustrating. I may need to call it a day and get something else on my mind for a bit. After hearing that I need to contact a service rep all I can think about is what that bill would look like. They will probably talk me through it over the phone and I am just stressed out about things.

Your help is much appreciated Ox. and everyone else involved. At least this info will be added to the google archives for future reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, this is going back 30 years and it was a mill with an OM control... but I had the X axis go haywire on me, turns out the pulley had a compression coupling on the ball screw shaft and had come loose and was moving a couple 100 thou overtime the machine went into rapid. Upshot was that the software limits X+ and X- values were getting tripped before the machine was several inches from the actual limit switch.

I don't know about this P/Can part, but I enabled PWE (Parameter Write Enable) and went in and set the X+ to 999999 and then exited, homes the machine so it could actually use the limit switch, then went back in and change the software X list back to what it was supposed to be.

No idea if this will be of help, but it worked for me. You should also have diagnostic parameters that if you are getting the home position encoder pulse, they should show on the diagnostics page somewhere.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    OK, this is going back 30 years and it was a mill with an OM control... but I had the X axis go haywire on me, turns out the pulley had a compression coupling on the ball screw shaft and had come loose and was moving a couple 100 thou overtime the machine went into rapid. Upshot was that the software limits X+ and X- values were getting tripped before the machine was several inches from the actual limit switch.

I don't know about this P/Can part, but I enabled PWE (Parameter Write Enable) and went in and set the X+ to 999999 and then exited, homes the machine so it could actually use the limit switch, then went back in and change the software X list back to what it was supposed to be.

No idea if this will be of help, but it worked for me. You should also have diagnostic parameters that if you are getting the home position encoder pulse, they should show on the diagnostics page somewhere.
    I have been reading up on this solution as well.

The more I think about it the more it appears to be doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It is just not lighting up the Z axis home light. It flickers the 1018 over travel alarm and it disappears real quick. Then the machine is sitting there as it was before I started the zero return process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would read your parameters list and find out what parameter and what bit was the Z axis home encoder pulse and see if that is the problem. You might need to clean or replace the encoder.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I was looking through my files today and noticed that I have 2 other files Hardinge sent me that looks to include some more parameters.

I cannot seem to find where to enter these parameters on the control.

The files are KWORD.DAT and PCOMP.DAT

I am thinking these were probably meant to be sent over via RS232 connection and would enter automatically where they should go.

Does anyone know where this parameters should be entered?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SYSTEM
    PMC
    PMC PRM
    KEEP

Not sure that I can help with the other, but that is just backlash comp I am guessing?
    I know that I have been in there on my 16, but ???
    I can't imagine that isn't holding you back.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SYSTEM
    PMC
    PMC PRM
    KEEP

Not sure that I can help with the other, but that is just backlash comp I am guessing?
    I know that I have been in there on my 16, but ???
    I can't imagine that isn't holding you back.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    GT-459.DAT is the parameter file as pulled from the machine
    GT-459.REC is the machine record and does have some additional parameters included in this which cannot be pulled on a download.
    KWORD.DAT is the keep relay settings
    PCOMP.DAT is the pitch error comp setting when the machine was new

Just want to make sure I am not missing anything. Have been double checking things and this was one of the unknowns to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if you are asking how to load those params, I have loaded EVERYTHING (incl the 9000's) on an 18i (dual path) via the keypad.

It sounds like you know what these are, so not sure what your Q is?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if you are asking how to load those params, I have loaded EVERYTHING (incl the 9000's) on an 18i (dual path) via the keypad.

It sounds like you know what these are, so not sure what your Q is?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I couldnt find anything on the control to enter these numbers into. I will have to look again in the morning. The process you stated above looks familiar. I just cant seem to find any numbers that match the ones on the print out I have though.