What's new
What's new

Hardinge GT27.........I wanna run 4' bars w/o a feeder

david n

Diamond
I haven't been around a GT27 in years and I can't recall what the back side of the headstock/collet closer looks like. I'm looking at adding a small GT unit to the shop, but I would like to run 4ft-ish bars in it w/o a bar feed. The reason being is I want the machine mobile. Run parts for a month and then stick in a corner. Nothing bolted to the floor. Is there a way to add a draw tube extension or a rattle tube out the back? Idears? TIA

Last edited:
Sure you could rig up something.

Could also drill and epoxy bosses in the floor that'd allow you to bolt into temporarily as needed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Make a close fit to light press fit bushing for the back end of the spindle. ID within a few thou of the material. Make a bolt on bracket to support the end of the material. Use a bushing again.
Caveat - the GT27's I've seen were converted Hardinge stuff. I'm sorry if that's not helpful for your machine. We used to do stuff like this long ago on old manual screw machines. One place we had an adjustable dead man that we bolted to the floor when needed.
good luck!

See above - was eating lunch while typing. :)

I have seen DV59 on wheels. But these Gts are a touch bigger.

Engineerup some tube to attach to the collet access door. I need two of them.

The Omniturn GTs can be moved around. At least one model of them was designed to be moved easily. I forgot what my Hardinge GT weighs, with the concrete bed it weighs more than a pretty penny. Instructions on my machine said to ground the machine to a ground rod next to the machine. Hard to picture how you could make the machine easily mobile. I have a HXL that the previous owner modified the base to accept large castors. It can be moved but the whole concept was not really thought out. Any chance that bar support could be attached to a machine to go with it from place to place? That might be practical for 4 footers. Remember a Hardinge GT has a 6000 RPM spindle.

Too bad I don't have a picture of the Mori that a guy tried running a 5' bar on....

Bent spindle
ruined chuck actuator
ruined sheetmetal
ruined step-down transformer

He thought he'd be ok with a spindle liner and a bushing on the end of the actuator......

Too bad I don't have a picture of the Mori that a guy tried running a 5' bar on....

Bent spindle
ruined chuck actuator
ruined sheetmetal
ruined step-down transformer

He thought he'd be ok with a spindle liner and a bushing on the end of the actuator......
Oh man........
When I was young, long ago, a guy had a bar of 1" brass (might have been bigger) sticking a few feet out the back of a big ol turret lathe. He thought it was going so slow that it would be ok. As soon as that thing started to bend, it went all the way of course. There were a few boxes of parts on a cart below the bar. Of course the parts turned into missiles. They were pieces of stressproof about 1" dia about a foot long. Thank goodness no one got hit. Learned my lesson by watching someone else mess up. I always use a tube on a dead man or a feeder.

Here's what we did with ours. The tube/stands are bolted to the floor, though. Good luck! Oh by the way, David, I am waiting on approval from others here regarding that quote from earlier in the year! Sorry for the delay :ack2:

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 4.05.35 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 4.06.06 PM.jpg

Oh man........
When I was young, long ago, a guy had a bar of 1" brass (might have been bigger) sticking a few feet out the back of a big ol turret lathe. He thought it was going so slow that it would be ok. As soon as that thing started to bend, it went all the way of course. There were a few boxes of parts on a cart below the bar. Of course the parts turned into missiles. They were pieces of stressproof about 1" dia about a foot long. Thank goodness no one got hit. Learned my lesson by watching someone else mess up. I always use a tube on a dead man or a feeder.

Yeah it can be a disaster. In the case I mentioned the machine had a step-down transformer 480-220 right at the headstock end of the machine. When the bar whipped it started beating the sheetmetal off the transformer and shorted it out. So not only metal, but sparks were flying. IIRC, the customer figured it may have been around 3k RPM when it whipped.

Yeah it can be a disaster. In the case I mentioned the machine had a step-down transformer 480-220 right at the headstock end of the machine. When the bar whipped it started beating the sheetmetal off the transformer and shorted it out. So not only metal, but sparks were flying. IIRC, the customer figured it may have been around 3k RPM when it whipped.

New underoos.....................

Back