What's new
What's new

Hardinge hxl

Ivanruso

Plastic
Hello. I bought a Hardinge Hxl cnc lathe. But I don have the manual. Any body know where I can find the manuals for it

Just an FYI.......the square tool turrets on the HXL's are a poor design and are quite unreliable.
Also if it's sat for long, the pneumatic valves will most likely need lots of attention.
Lastly, the air operated collet closer was designed without seals, and they leak large quantities of air constantly.
Overall, a lot of quirky engineering combined for a less than solid performing machine.
You might want to think about this before you spend a ton of time and maybe money on the machine.

I just purchased manuals for mine last year. I bought the last(I think) Omniturn attachment for an CHNC/HXL. Mine has turned in drawn out affair found out the spindle bearings were bad and many missing parts that have to be made.
I will look for the source my manuals came from.
DKMC is correct that the machine as delivered was high maintenance. If you have too many things wrong with it, you might make a useful machine out of it with a new control and replacing the turret with a quick change tool post.
Some of the parts that I needed are the same as other machines in the Hardinge line. Send me a private message and I can forward relevant emails photos and other stuff that may be helpful to you.

What parts are you looking for Fred?
Is yours a 5C or 16C spindle?
An Omniturn or Accuslide gang tool attachment is an excellent solution for those machines, although I believe it would require modification
of the enclosure and doors due to increased X axis travel.
However, it's probably not possible to turn between centers or utilize the tail stock with the gang tool attachment.

IvanRuso, I sent another PM with my email address. Triple checked it for typos, should work now. Did find the Email address of the manual supplier.

DKMC,
The parts I know I need for sure will be the bracket and fittings for the collet closer. One of the fittings on the closer was bent and the bracket is just missing.
I have to take the machine apart again as the belt length needed is exactly half way between the available lengths. So I need to drill and tap additional holes in the motor adjusting guides. The fellow I bought it from discarded the enclosure and lowered the bed as well as removed the chip pan. I had a accessory oil tank chip pan fabricated so that is addressed.
It is still a long term bucket list project.

An Omniturn or Accuslide gang tool attachment is an excellent solution for those machines, although I believe it would require modification
of the enclosure and doors due to increased X axis travel.
However, it's probably not possible to turn between centers or utilize the tail stock with the gang tool attachment.

Just a few words about the Omniturn. I have 2 and working to install the third on the HXL. I like them and would recommend them if Omniturn still made the attachment. Right now they do not, they still support them and all the parts are generally available since they are used also on their new machines. So finding one that was on a machine with a bad spindle would be the only possibility now.
The accuslide may be the same story for a different reason. From posts here the attachments did perform well. But it seems the owner of the company is happy with taking deposits and not delivering. No personal experience just what I have read. Dynamic cnc

I sent Ivan the contact info of the fellow that sold me the manuals. He no longer has them anyone else? I still want to hang on to mine as my machine is not complete yet. Taking the manuals apart and copying will really be time consuming.

Back