What's new
What's new

Hardinge T42 B Axis Problem

ThePrecisionist

Aluminum
Had the T42 running a simple tubing job.
Part has 1/8" cross hole.
Machine made 100 Pcs. using proven program.
Live cross drill was programed at B0 & B180.

So the mechanical lock was firing and locking.
(this machine only can lock at 2.5 Deg.)

Now it refuses to lock and getting a 2029 alarm.

Have gotten around it for now by programing B6.0 & B186.0
The spindle brake will hold if not divisible by 2.5.
Plenty strong for this job.

Seems it might be a proximity switch gone semi-bad?

Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!

We had the same problem on one of our 42's a while back. I can't remember what we ended up doing about it, though - I'll look into it tomorrow and let you know what I find. Are you saying if you try to stop it at any position divisible by 2.5 it alarms out. so you picked 6 and 186 because you know it wouldn't try to lock - just brake?

I'll look into it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Okay, I guess we didn't have that error, but the manual says that alarm could be 1) B word orient greater than 360, B word is programmed for an option not available on the machine, B word format error. Assuming you didn't change your program after the 100th part the problem is not any of those.

Take the front panel off and see if the pin is firing in and out and locking in the gear. There should also be a prix switch in there to sense the position of the pin...check to see if that is working. Good luck!

Okay, I guess we didn't have that error, but the manual says that alarm could be 1) B word orient greater than 360, B word is programmed for an option not available on the machine, B word format error. Assuming you didn't change your program after the 100th part the problem is not any of those.

Take the front panel off and see if the pin is firing in and out and locking in the gear. There should also be a prix switch in there to sense the position of the pin...check to see if that is working. Good luck!

The T42 with the B Axis option (standard with Live Tool) will only pin-lock the spindle at 0 Deg. and positions divisible by 2.5 degrees. The pin-lock is for maximum rigidity. if you have a degreed location that is not divisible by 2.5 - The machine will only apply the spindle brake to hold. The brake is quite robust. And will serve for 95% of jobs. But say your were milling. It would be best to use the lock-pin. Read your Hardinge T42 book. It explains all of this.

So yes. I got around the problem for now by "tricking" the machine. Programed B6 & B186 to eliminate the pin from firing.

I run all my Hardinge slants with the front covers off. Headstock and running gear get better ventilation this way. AKA Temp Control! :) The pin does fire. But it does not satisfy the control. So it must be the proximity switch. Wouldn't ya say?

Thanks for replying!

Back