What's new
What's new

Hardinge talent 2004 turret wont clamp.

Rochy

Plastic
Hardinge talent 8/52 lathe 2004. Turret wont clamp.

Hi, newbe here.
My lathe with fanuc control will index, but wont clamp/lock into place and has no alarms. Has anyone experienced this problem? Or knows what might be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks John.

Hi, newbe here.
My lathe with fanuc control will index, but wont clamp/lock into place and has no alarms. Has anyone experienced this problem? Or knows what might be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks John.
Do you have the door lock in? I have a 2004 Talent BTW.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you have the door lock in the chuck won't open or close. Pull the door lock out

Thanks for your reply. The Chuck is fine, its the tool turret that wont lock into position. It indexes, but wont lock. Basically i can move the turret back and fourth a few inches with my hand.

Thanks for your reply. The Chuck is fine, its the tool turret that wont lock into position. It indexes, but wont lock. Basically i can move the turret back and fourth a few inches with my hand.
Do you have live tool turret?

No its just a standard turret.
I have a duplomatic with live tooling and have had mine stay out once like that. Mine ended up a cable issue the conduit cut into the cable on the back. What alarm code are you getting?
6388f6293cffc1d71b89c3e8ffe56f50.jpg
94cfd5870f2140ae22fb0bdba1230430.jpg

I have a duplomatic with live tooling and have had mine stay out once like that. Mine ended up a cable issue the conduit cut into the cable on the back. What alarm code are you getting?
6388f6293cffc1d71b89c3e8ffe56f50.jpg
94cfd5870f2140ae22fb0bdba1230430.jpg

Ive had the back cover off and it all seems good in there. The strange thing is there's no alarm. It indexes perfectly, but just does seem to drop back onto the hirth coupling and lock. Ive only been up and running for a month on my own and this is my first CNC, so its a bit of a headache. Anyway thanks for your advice i really appreciate it.

Thanks John

Did the machine ever index correctly since you've had it?

When you are indexing the turret, are you doing it with a button on the control panel, or with an M-code in MDI or a program?

When you are indexing the turret, are you doing it with a button on the control panel, or with an M-code in MDI or a program?

Update: ive just indexed it in MDI and its no different.

Ive ran 4 jobs off since I've had the machine and its held good size, so i assume the problem wasnt there to begin with. I also had it commissioned by an experienced machine repair guy, so i thought he might have picked up on that.
I doubt this is related, but ive been doing a job that requires extremely low chuck pressure and the machine occasionally alarmed out with the alarm "chuck inactive" and then i had to tweak up the pressure a bit to make the alarm go away, but now i cant get the chuck to work at anything less than 10 psi on the gauge which is strange as i had it working at much lower pressure originally.

Pull your draw tube and clean all the gunk off of the tube. Pull the chuck as well and clean it. They get crapped up with old coolant and dirt and become harder ahd harder to move. Probably won't solve your turrent problem, but. . . oh,and coat the draw tube and threads with neverseeze when you put it back together. Then check the I/O screen and confirm that the chuck clamp/unclamp bit is changing. If you have the ladder diagram for your machine check if the turret clamp is dependent on the chuck clamp signal.

Pull your draw tube and clean all the gunk off of the tube. Pull the chuck as well and clean it. They get crapped up with old coolant and dirt and become harder ahd harder to move. Probably won't solve your turrent problem, but. . . oh,and coat the draw tube and threads with neverseeze when you put it back together. Then check the I/O screen and confirm that the chuck clamp/unclamp bit is changing. If you have the ladder diagram for your machine check if the turret clamp is dependent on the chuck clamp signal.

Thankyou, ill give it a good clean while the machine is down. Its M27/M28 in MDI to change the clamping and that seems to be working fine, but ill have a look on the I/O screen to see if its changing there. Just gutted this has happened now right in the middle of a job for one of my first customers. Anyhoo, i think im going to have to go to the expense of getting an engineer out to have a look at the turret. The joys of owning your own CNC....

If it is indexing and not seating, it sounds like the PLC is not getting a FIN signal from the CNC.
IDK what other signal it could possibly looking for at this point?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

if you can run the machine with the door open try tapping the turret a hair either way and see if it locks, not sure the build if its not seeing and angle or prox switch. had a machine that had a few similar issues. the take over on the sub wouldn't come across. it wasn't seeing the angle in the window it wanted to see on the main spindle, but if i just gave any push (almost just blow it a kiss) to the spindle it would be see the angle in the window it wanted and would continue.

and had a turret that would unlock and sit. no alarm, turned out to be a prox switch not being seen. plc author could have put a timing cycle in to alarm out if it didn't see the switch but didn't so it just sat waiting.

if you can run the machine with the door open try tapping the turret a hair either way and see if it locks, not sure the build if its not seeing and angle or prox switch. had a machine that had a few similar issues. the take over on the sub wouldn't come across. it wasn't seeing the angle in the window it wanted to see on the main spindle, but if i just gave any push (almost just blow it a kiss) to the spindle it would be see the angle in the window it wanted and would continue.

and had a turret that would unlock and sit. no alarm, turned out to be a prox switch not being seen. plc author could have put a timing cycle in to alarm out if it didn't see the switch but didn't so it just sat waiting.

Sorry late reply.
Ive have a go at tapping the turret either way today and still nothing. I think a proximity switch is a good shout.
Ive got an engineer coming out tomorrow, so ill let you know the out come of that. Thanks for you advice.

If it is indexing and not seating, it sounds like the PLC is not getting a FIN signal from the CNC.
IDK what other signal it could possibly looking for at this point?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks for reply. Your terminology is a bit over my head, but i get the gist of what you're saying. Thanks for your reply. Ive got an engineer coming out tomorrow, so ill update you guys on what he thinks it is.

Sequence for a turret index usually goes something like

Unclamp
Check for unclamped
Move to new position
Check for in-position
Clamp
Check clamping
continue with program

Sounds like your in-position check is not working. Having the logic diagrams is a big help. Have a maintenance manual ? It's worth buying, electronics love taking a vacation.

Back