Hardinge Talent lathe 10/78 Oi-TB problems
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hardinge Talent lathe 10/78 Oi-TB problems

I recently purchased a 2004-05 Hardinge 10/78 lathe with live tooling. We finally have it powered up and are running into a few problems. I have put in a call to Hardinge but still no response yet. Hopefully they will call and give me some insight. I have asked them if they had a manual available but they only have the maintenance manual they said. I would like to find a hardinge user/operation manual. So far I have only found a Oi-TC manual and not sure how different the Oi-TB is.

1: the estop when pushed turns off the control and has to be powered up again. Then once powered again when the estop is turned off the control turns off again.

2: The machine will home out in x and z but not able to home the C axis

3: Is there anything that needs to be done to run something in something in MDI. When we press cycle start with anything typed it wont run.

4: The tailstock will not move and has a error light could this cause any issues with not being able to run in mdi?? The tailstock seems to be stuck. When you move the switch to move the tailstock forward it feels like the hydraulic line is pressurized but no movement. Trying to jog backwards it does nothing but that's due to it sitting on the limit switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The E-stop does not sound right.

The Hardinge tailstocks in my experience are a little fussy to move around. Ones I have used take a combination of buttons pushed at once.
    Maybe with other prerequisites.

You need the Hardinge operators manual. The Fanuc 0i operators manual wont cover anything you are asking about.

It may not execute MDI unless axes have been homed and alarms are cleared. You dont Home C on a live tool lathe like a regular axis.

Is this your first lathe? No disrespect intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh, it's possible the C could need HOMED, but not necessarily.

I would be asking if the Talents doo this or not from someone that has one (with C of course)

I have two Elmira born C axis lathes. One with 18, and the other'n with 18i, and one homes C and the other'n doesn't.
    But the one that homes the C doesn't home the X/Z, and the opposite is true for the other'n.
    So go figger.....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh, it's possible the C could need HOMED, but not necessarily.

I would be asking if the Talents doo this or not from someone that has one (with C of course)

I have two Elmira born C axis lathes. One with 18, and the other'n with 18i, and one homes C and the other'n doesn't.
    But the one that homes the C doesn't home the X/Z, and the opposite is true for the other'n.
    So go figger.....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Do you have to engage C to home it?

To the OP

I dont know where you are located, but there is a dealer in Chicago that specializes in Hardinge. He may be able to sell you the manuals

Iverson & Company | Machine Sales & Service Since 1931 | Desplaines, IL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nope.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hardinge Talent 10/78 Manuals

HARDINGE TALENT 6/45 MAINTENANCE MANUAL Pdf Download.

^^^^ This manual* ?

If you click on the correct green button that says download you can download it as a PDF but you first have to state that you are not a robot... In some cases that could be difficult to prove.

__________________________________________________ ___

* No affiliation to whatever I might or might not be affiliated with ?

7. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's an interesting source!

I'll prolly forget the address, but I will at least know to ask one day!

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GENERALDISARRAY View Post
    Do you have to engage C to home it?

To the OP

I dont know where you are located, but there is a dealer in Chicago that specializes in Hardinge. He may be able to sell you the manuals

Iverson & Company | Machine Sales & Service Since 1931 | Desplaines, IL
    It does have a C home button but so far does nothing. I am pretty frickn excited for that manual that was posted that's my best Christmas present so far.

Hopefully I will get sometime to go play with it tomorrow after I finish scrambling the last day shopping before Christmas like I always do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

^^^^ This manual* ?

If you click on the correct green button that says download you can download it as a PDF but you first have to state that you are not a robot... In some cases that could be difficult to prove.

Thanks Cman!! I have been looking for that for over a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GENERALDISARRAY View Post
    The E-stop does not sound right.

The Hardinge tailstocks in my experience are a little fussy to move around. Ones I have used take a combination of buttons pushed at once.
    Maybe with other prerequisites.

You need the Hardinge operators manual. The Fanuc 0i operators manual wont cover anything you are asking about.

It may not execute MDI unless axes have been homed and alarms are cleared. You dont Home C on a live tool lathe like a regular axis.

Is this your first lathe? No disrespect intended.
    My first cnc lathe but not the first one I have run. My employee is very knowledgeable of the Fanuc lathe control lathes just not one with live tooling and C axis. We have 3 machining centers and 3 cnc bedmills. I have always been mill guy one those you see making alot of lathe parts on the mill. Lol

The past month I ended up with the !0/78 for 8500 moved and on the floor so couldn't pass it up.

The other lathe I bought is old daewoo HS6 with fapt turn for 1000 bucks. Bought that by accident by putting in opening online to watch it. Then nobody else bid. I knew the owner that bought it new. A nice clean machine. Dont mind it except for the pretty avacodo green. Reminds me of my parents kitchen when I was a kid. Life was so much simpler back then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

^^^^ This manual* ?

After reading through that manual its mainly a maintenance manual. Think I really need the operators manual. I have the fanuc Oi manual but it's pretty generic for my lathe. I am gonna call hardinge again later this week again whe they are open and try to get through to someone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just had someone send me the operators manual if anyone happens to need one PM me.