What's new
What's new

Hardinge vmc1000 11 atc tool load issue

Freakingreen

Plastic
I have a new to me 2002 Hardinge vmc 1000 11 with Siemens 810D control. Current issue is that when requesting a tool change from the Shop Mill T,S,M page the spindle will put the in spindle tool into the carousel but after the carousel indexes for the next tool the spindle does not descend to pick up the new tool.
The control flashes:-

Wait: read-in enable missing
And
waiting: aux. Functional. Act. Missing

It does not produce an error code or an alarm.
I checked for debris in the limit switch on the z axis column but found nothing. Only one limit switch to indicate tool change position.
Does anyone know what I'm missing?

I have a few mills just like it, but I doubt that I can help you as I don't know my way around a Siemens to save my life....

However - just ass_u_ming the routine chain of events expected - obviously your Z works, so...

But right before the Z comes down as expected, it would want to see that the carousel is in the right place.
You say that it indexes to the next position, and then hangs.

Have you been able to reproduce this action somehow?
Or is it just that it is stuck there now?
Are you simply indexing to the "next" tool pocket?

Have you tried telling it to index several pockets away?
If so - does it stop after the first pocket, or does it continue to the correct pocket and then hang?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks for the follow up. I was able to resolve the issue with some help. When testing the machine and inspecting it I was using just one tool in the spindle and sending it to the carousel. Because the machine couldn't see an invisible tool in an empty pocket it wouldn't complete the tool pick up routine.
Load the carousel and everything works properly.
Simple oversite. While trying to be careful I became the problem.

Thanks again for the input OX.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Meaning that _ that pocket was not in the library?
Or that the offset was simply zero?

If it is in the library but set to zero offset - it should still cycle through.
That is really what would need to happen to load a tool vie the spindle as opposed to through the side door.

???

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

I had tools listed in the library for each pocket. Somi assumed it would go through the motions. The screen would indicate a full to change had happened ed and the newly selected tool was ready. But in fact it never even tried to pick it up.
The tech I spoke with told me to load physical tools as the machine might be physically checking for the tool. I have no idea how because I couldn't find any optical eye anywhere. And it didnt descend far enough to make any contact with any dip switches or limit switches.
But low and behold if I put a physical tool in it cycles through perfectly. I've done about 100 tool changes in the past few days with no issues.

Ox is your machine Fanuc control?

No - I have had a pair of them just like your for 12 years and just bought a third.
There being a physical tool in there is NOT an issue.
It sounds like you somehow got lucky and it is running now, but if all you did was to place a holder in the pocket - I don't think that had any real effect on it.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ok well if it creeps back up I may knock on your proverbial door some day to pick your brain. I've got less than 20 hours experience so far on this beast and have plans for it to start doing proto type work transitioning to produce tion by the new year. I'm probably the only guy within a hundred miles that even owns cnc equipment, so even conversation is uncommon.

I can run them - that's aboot it.
I bought the first two as a turn key package, and was somewhat excited aboot the prospect of a Kraut control.
I have come to the point long ago that I aint so excited aboot it anymore, and would rather have a Fanuc that I know pretty decent by now.
But then - a nother one popped up cheap, and this just gives me more machines to swap electronics back and forth to diagnose better.
The machines are solid for sure tho.

----------------

Yep your right about getting lucky I experimented with it and it doesnt care If there is a tool or not. Dont know how it suddenly started working and nor causing issues.

Sent you a pm on a slightly different question about the machines

Yep your right about getting lucky I experimented with it and it doesnt care If there is a tool or not. Dont know how it suddenly started working and nor causing issues.

Sent you a pm on a slightly different question about the machines

I was out for a long weekend, and I didn't have my tablet, and when I tried to opperate Mamma's Apple gizmo, and I got a "PM BOX FULL" error, and so I tried to delete PM's in one winder so that I could post the reply, and somehow ... well, I lost it all, so going from memmory on your question:

I seldom doo any program transfer on these machines, but I did have some really big 3D code a cpl years ago that I loaded via one of our little 232/USB adaptors that I got from Calmotion. I think the same unit can be bought through Shop Floor Automation too.

I cannot tell you the actual routine anymore...

I have one program that I would like to move between two machines today, so I may or may not mess with it, so ...???

-------------------------

Well of I get back up and running again maybe I'll solve the equation and share the details with you. Lol. I'm posting on Instagram as Freakingreen also if you care to follow. Not on Practical that often.

I did load the USB from one machine just fine, but getting it back into the other machine proved to be an odd situation.
It changed my G code to canned cycle code, and dropped some stuff.
The code on the USB was still good G code tho.
???

Anyhow - the actual transfer is not too daffycult to figger out, but may need to go into "ISO" side of the control before uploading?
That may be where I ran the 3D code from?

Not on Insta ever.

-----------

Thanks for the input. I will be in touch again I'm sure.
For now I'm solving other issues on this machine. Hope some new capacitors will restore the screen on the machine. It wont go past the blue windows start up screen anymore.
A few times last week I thought it was a screen saver mode that was kicking in but it may have been something else. Should know more tomorrow night.
f43143dcc1f29b87ba5c7fd0836de4f3.jpg
c1902647328e90ce4b672c000bfa79f0.jpg
679550df7907ca4a00a3a7ed1173ac4b.jpg

Back