What's new
What's new

harrison vertical milling machine run from huanyang vfd no torque

tonyconlon

Plastic
Hi
I'm currently running a harrison milling machine, vertical model from a 4kw chinese huanyang vfd.
the vfd is rated for 4kw and im told the milling machine has a 2 horsepower motor, indeed I removed the motor and wired it for 220v its an unusual motor, very heavy cast Iron frame and a 6 pole 900 ish rpm range if I recall
in any case the trouble im having is the machine bogs down especially when cold in the highest gear(2000rpm)
is there something im missing here because I run a harrison lathe quite easily from a vfd although the lathes max rpm is 1000 rpm or so it has no power issues and ive tried a few of my vfds and they all fail in the high gear. any Ideas?
thanks
Tony

Are the settings the same between the two VFD's? You also may have a counterfeit Huanyang. Yes, the Chinese are counterfeiting other Chinese. How droll.

Ed.

I'd be looking through the manual and the settings on the drive to see if it is current/tq limiting. I would imagine the communication barrier would be more work that figuring it out on your own. That's part of what you pay for with a quality unit, support.

Are the settings the same between the two VFD's? You also may have a counterfeit Huanyang. Yes, the Chinese are counterfeiting other Chinese. How droll.

Ed.

Oh my, I am both amazed yet not at all surprised simultaneously

Ed.

THAT would be epic, seeing that Huanyang is already so worthless that is it actually banned from discussion here..............:toetap:

Huanyang VFDs.... Banned from discussion

icon1.png

These "products" are sold by many vendors out of china. Problems include the following:

They seem to be sold off of the "factory reject" pile in some cases, failing rapidly after purchase.

There are a number of special purpose versions which are being sold to the unwary as "complete" VFDs. The usual one is "Isacon". but there may be others.

The insides that I have seen varied from what I would class as crummy to downright dangerous. Definitely NOT industrial quality devices in my opinion.

As a result, I am classing these (IMO) POS units as equivalent to the hobby machines that are banned, so they get banned from now on. I will close threads about them unless instructed by the site owner not to, or unless the brand improves.

This goes for the units under other names as well.

This is a Huanyang:

. https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1du40K...sales-free.jpg

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1aABqM...pg_640x640.jpg

Last edited by JST; 12-04-2017 at 11:57 PM.

THAT would be epic, seeing that Huanyang is already so worthless that is it actually banned from discussion here..............:toetap:

well ive tried it with non chinese vfds and the results are the same if not worse actually, the 2kw huanyang vfd currently powering the mill is 2 years old and gets quite a bit of abuse and never complains, I wondered because it was a 6 pole motor I was missing something

Is the motor actually bogging down or the machine spindle? Is it possible that in the higher speed range there is a clutch slipping or other mechanical defect?

Did you triple check your jumpers on the 6 motor input wires? <- the one I would guess. 900 sounds like the low speed 4 pole? vs the 2 pole? high speed jumper configuration. Last motor I did I thru my hands up and the election just told me exactly which terminals to jumper. It works great now.

Is the motor actually bogging down or the machine spindle? Is it possible that in the higher speed range there is a clutch slipping or other mechanical defect?

yes you can actually amost fully stall the motor when the machine is cold in high gear

Did you triple check your jumpers on the 6 motor input wires? <- the one I would guess. 900 sounds like the low speed 4 pole? vs the 2 pole? high speed jumper configuration. Last motor I did I thru my hands up and the election just told me exactly which terminals to jumper. It works great now.

reading that gave me the sinking feeling! these motors are in the most awful place to remove, the motor is a 6 pole, when i got it the machine was wired for 400 volt and my 400 volt 2 kw vfd was refusing to drive either of my harrison mills in the top gears so I reconfigured the motor on my vertical mill for 220 v so I could try the other vfd, painfully I removed the motor and opened the connection box, no wires labeled but seen as it was wired for 400 volt as I found it I figured I had some hope, with a continuity check and using the way it was previously wired I isolated (what I believed) to be the three phases and connected them as for 220 volt, the motor ran nicely on the bench, no growling and achieved its rated rpm at 50hz from my vfd,to confirm my wiring was correct I switched some wires about to how I believed to be wrong and the motor just hummed so put it back as I believed was correct and stayed with that, this is from memory so bare with me,I was happy with it,let me see if i ca find my pictures.

these are some hastily taken photos of how i received the motor wired for 400v

Attachments

• IMG_1736 (2).jpg
    IMG_1736 (2).jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1735 (2).jpg
    IMG_1735 (2).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1729 (2).jpg
    IMG_1729 (2).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 37
these are some hastily taken photos of how i received the motor wired for 400v

the 3 reds and the three blacks coming from the motor I paired up by continuity check then rotated each of the black wires one place in an anti clockwise direction and made 3 new pairs of two for delta connection, sorry for the poor explanation

Back