What's new
What's new

HARVI 1 TE 5/16 4 flute chamfered end mill

mikekappeler

Plastic
Any one use one of these end mills to plunge with?

Cant find SFM, and was wondering what feed to run and wonder if I should peck?

I have 1 end mill for my little R/D project. Trying to drill and mil with one tool

Any feed back greatly appreciated

I don't like plunging full diameter with an endmill, if I have to I try to predrill out as large as I can to reduce the amount of material the mill has to remove. At a minimum I try to drill out the diameter of the "core" or what would be the web on a drill. That said you can drill with a center cutting endmill if you insist. Hell you can drill with a non center cutting endmill if you want, you just have to push harder.

If you want advise on SFM and chip loads you should probably mention what material you are cutting.:toetap:

Also the type of machine you are using would be helpful, unless it is one of the unmentionable ones.

Any one use one of these end mills to plunge with?

Cant find SFM, and was wondering what feed to run and wonder if I should peck?

I have 1 end mill for my little R/D project. Trying to drill and mil with one tool

Any feed back greatly appreciated

The HARVI TE series is designed to drill, though I haven't tried it myself. They basically copied the Guhring Diver's "butt shape". The Divers work well for plunging as long as you feed at half the feedrate you would use for slotting. Any faster causes vibration IME. If you want to make a few shallow, flat-bottomed holes they work fine.

If you're doing a bunch of holes, just use a drill.

The HARVI TE series is designed to drill, though I haven't tried it myself. They basically copied the Guhring Diver's "butt shape". The Divers work well for plunging as long as you feed at half the feedrate you would use for slotting. Any faster causes vibration IME. If you want to make a few shallow, flat-bottomed holes they work fine.

If you're doing a bunch of holes, just use a drill.

Thanks alot, I appreciate your feedback. Yes I could have gave a bit more info on my post, I guess I was looking for someone who has used these HARVI TE end mills. I'm just going half inch deep , and mild steel.

I appreciate the feedback, yes i will make sure I give more info next time, I did find what I needed for now.

thanks again

The TE's are supposed to be much better at drilling and ramping. I've used them few times but haven't really pushed them.

If you are doing a lot of drilling I would run it much slower then normal. Old school milling speeds are based on slotting, with the cutter engaged 50% of time, and cooling 50% of time. Speeds are through the roof on new style tool paths since the duty cycle is so much lower with low engagements. But drilling is opposite, cutter engaged 100% of the time so you need run it slower then milling if you want it to last.

Back