Has no one heard of the SERVO II?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

has not anyone heard of the servo II, what have I got here a dinosaur?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that the Servo CNC mill ? If so, I've heard of it, played with one, but that's about it. May have a brochure on it somewhere.

Or are you talking about the individual axis Servo CNC retrofits ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a bridgeport mill with the servo II 3 axis motor s and controller installed on it and all I have done so far is to run the motors and try to get the mill ready to go before I sell my other bridgeport mill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do they move the Knee on the 3rd axis ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Servo 3000 of 1996 or so vintage. Bought it new from a local dealer other than a problem with a hard drive in the PC years ago it runs flawlessly. I trust it to lights out machining all the time and it has not let me down to date. It is a knee mill with approximately X travel 32 inches Y travel 18 Z travel 6 with the spindle moving not the knee and will do 3d contouring. Ran a program a while back that I drew in Alibre design and imported to Visual Mill 4.0 for the G code. Ran 260000 lines of code to make the part and it came out very nice. The part size is only limited to the hard drive capacity and i have a ethernet card in the machine so that I can go from the cad/cam system to the machine and upload the part program with a simple drag and drop in windows. I have both the NT4.0 software and the older MSDOS software for the machine. i prefer the MSDOS version currently until I pick up a solid state drive to replace the regular PC type mechanical one. The NT software on my machine at least endlessly goes to the hard drive for what seems like every 10 lines of code and will kill the hard drive or at least have the machine get lost and stop. The MSDOS version puts it all in ram and runs from there so is a much better deal. The cotrol is really pretty nice and has a bunch of very useful canned cycles as well as conversational programing though I never use it. Also has a teach mode and never used that either. There is one documented gotcha with the control but i don't know if this is a universal thing in CNC or not. The machine error is a function of the travel speed. In that the accuracy is the feedrate in inches per minute times 0.0001 inches. So it will hold a 0.001 at 10 inches per minute and 0.0005 at 5 inches a minute. I normally cut at 20 to 40 ipm in aluminum and if a detail has a tighter tolerance just leave a little finish stock and slow down for that one section. Even at 30 ipm it seems to hold about a +- 0.001 which is fine for most parts I make anyway.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks much for the info it will come to be very useful!.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

to bpt engineers question yes the third axis moves the knee. I am in the process of waiting for a coupling to come available for the crossfeed axis at the moment and if anyone has an extra one they want to sell that would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking info and parts 1996 or so servo 3000 mill 10 x 54 table , nst 40 spindle taper Thanks Louis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nlmarcoux View Post
    Looking info and parts 1996 or so servo 3000 mill 10 x 54 table , nst 40 spindle taper Thanks Louis
    Servo is still in business, have you called them?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I called The Servo Products Company in Eastlake Ohio , they do not have a parts supplier for the servo 3000 cnc mill ,I am still looking to find the mfg of the mill . I have information on the cnc motor and controls from servosourse , Thanks Louis

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have a parts supplier for servo 3000 cnc mill Thanks Louis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try servosource.com . Thanks Jason

Edit just saw you posted on Servo Source. We were a dealer for servo back in those days and i always thought the iron was bought through Acra machine tools, but i could be wrong.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Louis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something you should know I bought a Servo 5000 mill that had like 100 hrs on it. The control system uses variable reluctance brushless servo motors that are no longer made. Servo Source sells only rebuilt motors. No one makes the drives either. The motors are really ideal for this application because they have very high torque but zero detent torque when off so you can hand crank the mill and not even realize they are there.

The control has one REALLY bad feature. If you try to use tool length compensation you’ll see what I mean. After you change the tool and apply the tool length the Z DRO shows the compensation value NOT the Z position of the tool above the part! Holy Batpoop what were they thinking! Even Servo Source admits this is a major flaw.
    Last edited by garyhlucas; 02-05-2020 at 12:20 PM. Reason: More

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best programs are written by a team of programmers and application people (users).