What's new
What's new

Hass VF2ss Tool Change Recovery Issue

MatthewD

Plastic
I am an idiot. During a tool change, I pressed the e-stop on my VF2ss. The tool change was stopped right as the tool was being loaded into the spindle, and the other tool was being loaded into the carousel pocket. Unfortunately the both the automatic and manual tool change recovery have not worked. The suggested option in the tool change recovery is to orient the spindle, but I don't want to do that because the tool locating studs on the spindle are lined up in the tool holder. Within the manual tool change recovery ,rotating the arm towards the origin is the only thing that does anything but it just gets stuck on the tool then loads up a servo. I've watched the Hass's tool recovery video and I saw that he uses ATC reverse to move the arm in the direction that I need it to go, but I'm not sure if it's safe for me to do that. I'm worried that since the arm has the tool captive, it can damage the spindle if it tries to move the tool. Any suggestions? I'm working a weekend shift and the support won't be here until Monday :(
doinked_toolchange.jpg.

you should be ok with it. I would jog it down enough to pull the tools out by hand, and then let it do the recovery. If you have room, you might try to shove a rag in between the tool and spindle.

I think that the problem is that the tool change completed loading the tool into the spindle and the carousel pocket. So If i were to jog it down, I would be pushing the tool down into the tool change arm.

I'm not sure if there is an option to jog the change arm down. It's only the "rotate arm towards origin." And when I do try that, the arm just moves against the tool that's already in the spindle.
recovery page.jpg

Is the spindle clamped?

It seems to me the next move would be to rotate the arm back to origin, then put the pot back up.

If the spindle isn't clamped, you'd need to grab the tool as the arm retracts, or put a box full of padding under it so it has a safe place to fall...

edit to add; looking at the summary, it says not clamped and the arm is not all the way over yet? So rotate to origin puts the arm in the tool clamp position, then clamp the spindle, then retract arm? Then pot up?

It looks like that's what it's asking for, but I don't have one of those so don't trust my reading, lol.

I don't think you can rotate the arm away until it's all the way up so the button to release the tool is depressed.

My mill has a hex on the top of the tool changer arm, you can climb up there and rotate the arm around manually with a ratchet...

I would put a box of rags under each tool, press recover and follow the steps. If a tool falls the box will catch it, after the arm is back remove the one in the spindle with the tool release button and pry the other out with a small prybar or large screwdriver then complete the recovery. MDI call the tool positions for the tools you took out and be sure to put them in the correct one. Nothing to it.

If everyone else's suggestions don't work, here's the Simpson method.

Unbolt the tool changer arm from the shaft. :D

If everyone else's suggestions don't work, here's the Simpson method.

Unbolt the tool changer arm from the shaft. :D

I believe it is bolted with a line up pin so it likely won't come off without the tools removed first.
Haas tool changer restore works well, kind of a PITA process but it does work, just follow the steps on the screen and dont forget the boxes of rags.

I am an idiot. During a tool change, I pressed the e-stop on my VF2ss. The tool change was stopped right as the tool was being loaded into the spindle, and the other tool was being loaded into the carousel pocket. Unfortunately the both the automatic and manual tool change recovery have not worked. The suggested option in the tool change recovery is to orient the spindle, but I don't want to do that because the tool locating studs on the spindle are lined up in the tool holder. Within the manual tool change recovery ,rotating the arm towards the origin is the only thing that does anything but it just gets stuck on the tool then loads up a servo. I've watched the Hass's tool recovery video and I saw that he uses ATC reverse to move the arm in the direction that I need it to go, but I'm not sure if it's safe for me to do that. I'm worried that since the arm has the tool captive, it can damage the spindle if it tries to move the tool. Any suggestions? I'm working a weekend shift and the support won't be here until Monday :(
View attachment 289392.

I'm guessing your a new haas user . dont worry about it make the arm move the way so it doesnt load up. the tools will stay in there. (from the picture your locked in, nothing will fall...

so move the keys to make the arm go ack till the screen says orgin. then after that use the keys to put the tool up back in the carosel, then pull your tool out of the spindle. then follow the Dirs.

then you will get to the recount page DONT change anything. just finish . when its finished goto mdy call up the tool number that the face mill was in and put it back in.
your done and back to normal.
1st time I did it on a haas I was reluctant about it as well. had it happen a bunch of times after that as well. never had any issues.
youll be fine

Back