What's new
What's new

Having Lathe drilling trouble...help please

Ironcity

Plastic
4mm drill keeps breaking/gilding up while cutting aluminum. Using a hs coated drill going 1.428 in deep. Running a Swiss tornos lathe with max rpm of 8000. The feeds and speeds I caluculated were s6080 f.029ipm. Using oil based milpro coolant. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

4mm drill keeps breaking/gilding up while cutting aluminum. Using a hs coated drill going 1.428 in deep. Running a Swiss tornos lathe with max rpm of 8000. The feeds and speeds I caluculated were s6080 f.029ipm. Using oil based milpro coolant. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Something isn't adding up.

If you're running 6080 RPM and 0.029" per revolution, yeah...I know why you're breaking drills. If your feedrate is 0.029" per minute.......you're making mouse fart dust at 0.0000047 IPR.

Not exactly related to your issue.....
I am not very familiar with swiss or that particular machine......if the hole is on center and you have live tooling using the live head and turning spindle in simultaneous mode will improve center location and size.

OP may have edited his post without replying, but it says f.029ipm for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It was there all along.

If it really is that slow..........he's nuts. It would take 49 minutes to drill that hole. In aluminum. :willy_nilly:

Maybe he means inches per millimeter............wait, that makes no sense............inches per millisecond??? Or does it mean idiots per machine??

:D

Back