What's new
What's new

Heat shrink holders vs Carbide Tooling >.<

dstryr

Diamond
Am I the only one fighting this issue in extended stick out because the industry standard tool lengths are too long for the bore depths in the heat shrink tooling?

I noticed that also. I plan on making all of my heat shrink holders without a stop. An optional stop will be available at additional cost that will lock in from the back and have a locking set screw. Coolant thru is possible in both configurations.

I noticed that also. I plan on making all of my heat shrink holders without a stop. An optional stop will be available at additional cost that will lock in from the back and have a locking set screw. Coolant thru is possible in both configurations.

Frank, we ruin a couple heat shrinks a month, usually through broken end mills that either we cannot remove from the holder (1/8" - 1/4") or they wipe out the bore when the e/m breaks. Before anyone flames me for the breakage comment, most of these are broken cutting 15-5, 17-4, 347 and 440C, and once in a blue moon do we loose a 1/8" holder that has been cutting aluminum for a couple of months. Yes, we do use tool life in the controls, but these materials tend to be a bit more unforgiving than 6061. This along with just adding more tools to the tool crib, we would like a little better option than currently available from a cost standpoint. How soon do you plan on having the heat shrink holders to market?

Steve

So cut with this or a like from other places.
McMaster-Carr
4571A91, you should get a few thousand pieces off of one wheel if used wet or slow and misted.
Maybe people should offer this as a service. :scratchchin:
Bob

Problem is by the time we realize they need to be cut off it was supposed to go into the machine a day ago LOL.

I just need to buy a decent manual machine with a mist setup for neck reliefs, cut offs, etc.
Anyone have something in good shape they want to sell?>

Frank, we ruin a couple heat shrinks a month, usually through broken end mills that either we cannot remove from the holder (1/8" - 1/4") or they wipe out the bore when the e/m breaks. Before anyone flames me for the breakage comment, most of these are broken cutting 15-5, 17-4, 347 and 440C, and once in a blue moon do we loose a 1/8" holder that has been cutting aluminum for a couple of months. Yes, we do use tool life in the controls, but these materials tend to be a bit more unforgiving than 6061. This along with just adding more tools to the tool crib, we would like a little better option than currently available from a cost standpoint. How soon do you plan on having the heat shrink holders to market?

Steve

I would get rid of your 1/8 shank endmill tooling and use tooling thats on a 3/16 or 1/4 shank. I use a ton of Destiny Minature tools and the tool life increase is well worth it + heat shrinking 1/8 holders is a giant PITA!

Can I ask the silly question - If this is such an ongoing PITA, why not use a different toolholder with a deeper insertion depth? I've seen sone pretty slim hydraulic holders if the cuts aren't that heavy. Are milling chucks too long & large in body diameter?

Can I ask the silly question - If this is such an ongoing PITA, why not use a different toolholder with a deeper insertion depth? I've seen sone pretty slim hydraulic holders if the cuts aren't that heavy. Are milling chucks too long & large in body diameter?

Nose clearance, rigidity, cost

The shrink fit holders are more rigid for the same type of nose clearance and the cost is way lower than a hydraulic holder....
And some of the schunk hydraulics I have are the same way... bore depth close to shrink fit lengths

shrink fit holders provide good tirr with a minimal holder volume ( mass )
- this makes them suitable for finishing

when roughing, is good to have more holder mass
- this makes hydraulic holders suitable for roughing

schunk tried to deliver best of both with tendo-slim series

I would get rid of your 1/8 shank endmill tooling and use tooling thats on a 3/16 or 1/4 shank. I use a ton of Destiny Minature tools and the tool life increase is well worth it + heat shrinking 1/8 holders is a giant PITA!

I looked at an old Destiny catalog I have and one online, I did not see any Vipers in a 1/4" or 3/16" shank x 1/8" diameter. We have settled in on a OSG Blizzard 1/8" x 1/4" LOC for a production job that has a 0.140" wide x 0.190" deep slot, great tool life (and significantly better than the same OSG in a 3/8" LOC), but would certainly entertain a Destiny as we already have Destiny tools on the same job.

Steve

Gotta get a new catalogue. They have steel and aluminum tooling on 3/16 shanks. I use them anytime I can over 1/8 shank tooling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They specifically have an 1/8 diameter with 3/16 flute length on 3/16 flute length. They are ground longer than 3/16 flute so that would work for your application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just did a test on the M140 using 20 .125 shank tools in MST Slimline 2 piece heat shrink holders. They worked extremely well.

If you run any RegoFix Powergrip holders, you'll have the opposite problem. The minimum insertion for the endmill is usually longer than the shank of the endmill. They do now have collets that are designed for shorter and longer shanks.

I hate using small endmills that have the same size shank as the flutes. They always snap slightly below the surface of whatever your using to hold the endmill and usually damage it.

almost every tool manufacturer copies the other ones, at least for common tools

deviations may be plus/minus few millimeters, but, overall, they are pretty close

a cnc operator may be just fine with it, but a toolholder producer should take into consideration such variations

kind of "one size fits all"

Back