Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    Yeah rent here is pretty crazy sometimes. Right now I'm paying $12.50/sq ft but I'm actually looking at a smaller space that is *much* closer to home, like easy walking distance. It is more per square foot but because it's smaller the cost is actually a lot more manageable...

After moving to the larger space earlier this year I pretty quickly realized that a lot of it was going to waste and would keep going to waste for a long time to come, and the shop is in an area that's a pain for me to get to which is making daily life less pleasant. Poor planning on my end I guess but it's a good lesson learned that I won't soon forget, and I'm lucky that I get the chance to rectify the situation without too much penalty.

Funny I never thought I would miss my old shop being 'cozy' but I honestly do! Current shop feels like a big house no-one lives in.

Long term plan is definitely to get outside the city and just build my own shop on my own property. I don't need much space, only 1,000 sq ft or so at most long term so putting together a really nice small shop on a property with a house shouldn't be a big deal. Fingers crossed!

$12.50 doesn't sound too unreasonable, what's the size of your shop now? You're out in the east end of Toronto aren't you?

A house out in the country with some land for a shop wouldn't be a big deal at all, as long as your budget is $1M+ .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last place I worked we used an air skate system for moving small 3 and 5 axis mills. I'd call around and see if you can find any rigging companies that'll rent this out. Way easier that rollers, you can literally move a small 3 axis mill with one finger. Just make sure you have a few guys, if your concrete is on a slope it can get a way from you really easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a similar problem with my VMC where I needed in a corner, but hated the idea of not being able to move it without rearranging the shop to get a forklift lined up. My solution:

First, I purchased 4 of these guys: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3818_200673818
    (mine are from a few years ago so they are a little different). I now use these to move about everything in my shop.

Second, I still wanted to set the machine down on the floor, but didn't want to use a forklift to do so (obviously). I had some 5 or 6" steel bar lobbed off 2.5" thick and recessed in the middle for the leveling screws on the Fadal. With this extra height, I can go over with my low profile floor jack, slide it under the front casting, jack it up, and install the skates. I can do the same the on the back to move the machine anywhere.

Just an idea. The $200 I invested in those skates was money well spent. I can move every machine in my shop with a floor jack, and those skates, in a similar manner as I described above.

4. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Tech View Post
    $12.50 doesn't sound too unreasonable, what's the size of your shop now? You're out in the east end of Toronto aren't you?

A house out in the country with some land for a shop wouldn't be a big deal at all, as long as your budget is $1M+ .
    My shop right now is 2,500 sq ft. I got a space bigger than I'd need and figured I'd expand into it, but I honestly haven't needed to. It's in Scarborough. Far enough away from my apartment that it is a bit of a pain to travel to every day... It's honestly not that far (40 minutes by public transit each way) but it's enough to be a mental barrier to 'just dropping by the shop' to work on some project.

So the shop right now is mostly empty space. Some of that space is filled with a couple of machines I don't use and have no plans to use even within a few years (turning center and 3rd VMC) so I'm planning a downsize, a fairly serious one actually lol.

I'm going down to just 650 sq ft, but the new place is really close to my apartment (20 minute walk, 12 minutes by public transit) and in an area that is really nice with lots going on and where I know lots of people. Parks nearby and all that. Walking to/from work every day is a good life.

Might sound strange but I'm also actually really looking forward to a shop that's a little 'cozy' again. The current space is cavernous, empty and hard to keep clean. It doesn't feel like home at all, and I feel like I walk 10 miles every day just going from place to place inside the shop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 2 minute drive (@ 20mph) (by private transportation) is hard enough for me to git used to.
    40 minutes public to git to your own shoppe?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    I move small VMCs and similarly sized and weighted other machines with an 8k pallet jack all the time.

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

Way easier than tight maneuvering with the forklift, and much faster than skates if the footprint cooperates.
    Even better on a machine in this weight range or plus a bit is two pallet jacks.
    Set the machine feet pads high or under them blocks so that the pallet jack goes in for the next move.
    You need two people but it makes it very easy to rearrange the furniture. Air and power drops become the biggest time consumers.
    Skates can be a real pain and normally you have to J-bar the machine up onto them. Then if you use four unlinked one is always trying to escape so you need even more people to watch them and keep them steered.

Once you get to 10,000+ pounds the options are limited.
    I can move a 8,000 pound centerless grinder with one pallet jack but it is not very easy, does not want to roll, is very upset with any little rocks, dirt, or metal chips on the floor, and you had better be in the right spot for center or gravity.
    Regardless of method you do have to level a VMC as the frame twists in it's new home and may muck up axis alignment.
    Some machines don't care about this so much, some care a lot.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok no one has said it but why not have a rigger do it
    2 vmc15s shouldn't take more then 4 hours if they are good.
    get a price and see if it's worth your effort and pain to do it yourself

cost me about $1200 for about the same amount of moving.

pipes are fine for moving em front to back but to go sideways really need skates
    the way the Fadal underside is

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CarbideBob raises a good point, but I will add:

Yes, a skate trying to escape is a constant PITA. A pallet jack would be an option if A.) you had the space to store one and B.) you could find one with the right weight and length capacity. (remember the wheels of a pallet jack have to be able to contact the ground, make note of the fork pockets on your Fadal)

In my case, I was able to use 4 $50 skates and a floor jack I already had. Everything stores easily and out of the way. And, as mentioned before, I can move any of my machines in short order, not just those convenient for a pallet jack.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have two riggers that I have worked with before, one is a larger outfit which quoted $3k for the move (3 guys and 9 hours they reckon) and one is a one man show who is much less expensive but also has much less equipment, he would be looking at borrowing/renting skates as his only skates are big rusty ones meant for really large machines. I was considering working with him and buying the skates myself and keeping them. Northern Tool fofr skates is a good suggestion!

Storing a pallet jack is not really an option unfortunately as the new space will be pretty tight indeed with everything in there. Skates are definitely easier to store.

I will talk to the bigger rigging company again because I just don't see how it would take 9 hours to move the machines!

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    Yeah rent here is pretty crazy sometimes. Right now I'm paying $12.50/sq ft but I'm actually looking at a smaller space that is *much* closer to home, like easy walking distance. It is more per square foot but because it's smaller the cost is actually a lot more manageable...
    Out of interest is that $12.50 CAD per sq/ft per month, quarter or year? Living in the UK I find rents seem excessively high sometimes, or at least I perceive them as high. Some industrial units far more expensive than others, so it's interesting to see what rents are in other countries, maybe they're not so bad in the UK compared to other developed countries.

I pay £3300 per year for my 600sq/ft industrial unit which is about $5747 CAD and that is on a managed site with a caretaker and roller door servicing, alarm servicing and security provision included, sadly units of the same standard and price are few and far between with waiting lists of years to get one.

I do sometimes wish I had a bit more space, but more space usually means bigger bills and I'm in the same boat where more space wouldn't be productive space, if anything I wish it was in walking distance of home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Storing a pallet jack is not really an option unfortunately as the new space will be pretty tight indeed with everything in there. Skates are definitely easier to store.
    Just in cast you don't already know, there are short/narrow pallet jacks with 36" legs and 21" or 16" wide, they are infinitely easier to maneuver and store in small spaces. I have standard and small pallet jacks, only the small one stays in the shop and gets stored under a shelf unit when not in use.

13. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Out of interest is that $12.50 CAD per sq/ft per month, quarter or year? Living in the UK I find rents seem excessively high sometimes, or at least I perceive them as high. Some industrial units far more expensive than others, so it's interesting to see what rents are in other countries, maybe they're not so bad in the UK compared to other developed countries.

I pay £3300 per year for my 600sq/ft industrial unit which is about $5747 CAD and that is on a managed site with a caretaker and roller door servicing, alarm servicing and security provision included, sadly units of the same standard and price are few and far between with waiting lists of years to get one.

I do sometimes wish I had a bit more space, but more space usually means bigger bills and I'm in the same boat where more space wouldn't be productive space, if anything I wish it was in walking distance of home.
    That is $12.50 per sq ft per year. And that is a pretty good rate around here! The smaller shop I'm moving to next year is closer to downtown and as such the rates are significantly higher. Like $25 sq ft per year... So my 650 sq ft shop will cost me $16,250 a year... Makes your $6,000 a year shop seems pretty darn good

One day I will get outside the city, but for now everything else in my life is here so it's better to just eat the cost and enjoy life...