What's new
What's new

hectical interpreplation question

edge22

Aluminum
A bit new to hectical interpreplation or tornado milling a starter hole into aluminum and have question.
Wouldn't a clockwise rotation tool path be more free cutting and easier on the tool than going in a counter clockwise tool path?

Thanks

It depends on the endmill diameter, hole diameter, feed, and speed. If you climb mill with a fast feed and a large endmill in a small hole you can exceed the flank angle of the endmill, essentially pushing the flute sideways into the material rather than slicing. Mastercam defaults to conventional milling for helical entries.

Interesting. I always got annoyed at Mastercam for doing conventional entry motion so I switched my defaults to climb. My entry parameters are quite mild tho...2 degree entry ramp and usually 60% feed rate.

Maybe ill run a side by side comparison to see which method sounds better and cuts better.

. A bit of a typo on my part.

A bit you say?
Twice ( in the title AND the subject )?

So what does the word "interpreplation" mean?
Also twice! ( had to cut/paste that one as I can't even pronounce it )

With all that said...
I usually prefer counter clockwise as that resembles climb cut.

Hectic is defined as "characterized by intense agitation, excitement, confused and rapid movement, etc."
So...I guess I have used hectical cutting paths when I forgot a G1 or misplaced a decimal in my feed rate

Back