What's new
What's new

Heidenhain TNC355 "Wrong Program Data" Error

BugRobotics

Stainless
Hi all,
Walked up to the machine the other day and couldn't load programs from my laptop. I'll receive "wrong program data" when attempting to read in a known working programs. Checked the cable, checked the output from the serial port, checked adapters. Seems like the serial port circuit could be failing in the control. Voltage on the I/O board was 5V at the test points but I didn't check at the RS232 receiver/transmitter/controller ICs explicitly. This same setup has worked for the last 8 months. Next steps will be checking serial inputs/outputs on a scope.

Anyone have any experience with these symptoms?

Thanks.

I get that when I forget to edit the program start and end names. My post processor includes text names so "START PGM FRED" or whatever, and I have to edit it manually to the numeric format the TNC355 demands. Many times I remember to edit the start name but not the end matching name, and I get your error message

I get that when I forget to edit the program start and end names. My post processor includes text names so "START PGM FRED" or whatever, and I have to edit it manually to the numeric format the TNC355 demands. Many times I remember to edit the start name but not the end matching name, and I get your error message

Thanks andrewmawson for the comment. The programs I'm sending were working about two weeks ago.

So if the code is definitely good you are left with possibly a settings change on the laptop (has Microsoft done an update?) or something wrong with the cable, or just conceivably an inadvertent parameter change on the TNC355.

So if the code is definitely good you are left with possibly a settings change on the laptop (has Microsoft done an update?) or something wrong with the cable, or just conceivably an inadvertent parameter change on the TNC355.

Yea, hopefully one of those and not the serial receiver/transmitter on the IO board (although those would be an easy repair). I tried the setup on another laptop with the same result, but didn't compare window updates. I'll take a look at that.

The cable checked out OK and I also swapped with a good cable early on in testing.

I checked the parameter list (first time entering that menu) but only verified that MP222 was 168. I'll check the other pertinent values.

Laptop updates were uninstalled, (to a known working timeframe) and relative parameters were checked against the machines default records. No change thus far.

Sometimes the machine seems to get into a loop on the upload process after hitting 'ENT' button. No error codes and no flashing asterisk I see on successful uploads. After pressing 'DEL' button the control displays "Program Incomplete"

Do you want to send me the file and I'll upload it to my TNC355 and see if it goes in error free ?

Just a thought - are you doing a straight upload, or is it over 1000 lines and you are drip feeding ?

It uploads to the control without error using TNC Server, so I'm afraid that doesn't further your diagnostics much :(

Happy to help :)

I'd try another PC if you have something to hand, assuming that you've closely inspected your cable, particularly where it's clamped in the D type. In fact well worth buzzing it through with a meter.

I seem to remember that mine is a simple 3 wire link and uses software handshaking. I do remember when I first set mine up I got awfully confused which 'mode' the control needed to be in - FE / ME etc

OK I've found some threads I was involved in back in 2011 / 2012 - they refer to TNC151 / 155 but it's the same with TNC355 - I've detailed settings and wiring:

http://www.*******.com/forums/bridgeport-hardinge-mills/143923-posts.html

http://www.*******.com/forums/machi...wireless-dnc-serial-port/123659-software.html

Later Edit - it seems Milacron doesn't like references to CNC Zone ! If you do a google search on "tnc151 rs232 cable" you'll find my posts with the details.

Happy to help :)

I'd try another PC if you have something to hand, assuming that you've closely inspected your cable, particularly where it's clamped in the D type. In fact well worth buzzing it through with a meter.

I seem to remember that mine is a simple 3 wire link and uses software handshaking. I do remember when I first set mine up I got awfully confused which 'mode' the control needed to be in - FE / ME etc

OK I've found some threads I was involved in back in 2011 / 2012 - they refer to TNC151 / 155 but it's the same with TNC355 - I've detailed settings and wiring:

http://www.*******.com/forums/bridgeport-hardinge-mills/143923-posts.html

http://www.*******.com/forums/machi...wireless-dnc-serial-port/123659-software.html

Later Edit - it seems Milacron doesn't like references to CNC Zone ! If you do a google search on "tnc151 rs232 cable" you'll find my posts with the details.

Thanks again. I have had this setup working for the last 8 months so I am good with the settings (been through them multiple times since the issue started). I checked the cable with a multimeter as well (and swapped with a known good cable). Attempted an upload with another computer yesterday with no change. Also verified that the serial adapter I am using is still working with PuTTY. Checked the voltages on the adapter outputs and they are the same as they were when I first got everything working a while ago.

I'll be checking the serial communication against the Heidenhain documentation today with a scope to verify that the control is doing what it's supposed to when it receives data from the laptop.

Last edited:
Now we're talkin

She's ALIVE! Eliminated all the variables (program, cable, USB serial adapter) and all signs pointed to the the RS232 circuit on the board. Ordered new ICs (both the transmitter and receiver), removed the board from the machine, replaced the old ICs with the new, reinstalled the board in the machine, loaded the parameters and she is loading programs once again.

IC Parts are shown in the image below (two ICs in line and to the left of the green plug). For anyone interested the PNs are below.

Transmitter: SN75188N
Receiver: SN75189AN

Can't say enough good things about this controller. Even the way they secured the PCB with a nice sheet metal frame is just beautiful. Time to remove the PCB, replace the ICs, replace the PCB and load parameters was around 1.5 hours.

IMG_1984[1].jpg
IMG_1988[1].jpg

Thanks very much for the info and update (and help from others) (I have a TNC2500). How did you find that old DIP controller on the boards without a schematic, those are some fairly old components (familiar usually only to us old folks). It's sort of unusual for those to go bad, they must have experienced some sort of stress or esd at some point. But thanks for the info and sleuthing! Cheers.

No problem, hope it helps someone in the future. As far as figuring it out I just eliminated the variables one by one. I design and build controllers and machinery that use all different types of communication protocols and I'm familiar with the different hardware implementations. Once all the externals checked out the serial interface was next on the list. I wasn't seeing the proper voltages when I checked the outputs on the IC pins. Finding the ICs was just a matter of following the RS232 inputs to the I/O board and following the traces.

Regarding the reasons behind the failure I think it stems from the fact that I had the long (15 feet) communication cable disconnected from my computer and laying on a table for a few weeks. Could have picked up some static voltage from any number of other sources. Gonna create a better setup ASAP.

Excellent news that you are up and running.

Useful info re the ics. That's the classic pair of RS 232 tx/rx chips I cut my teeth one donkeys years ago, and I'm pretty sure I still carry them in my integrated circuit stash :)

For a long time now I've adopted the technique of cutting all the legs on a DIL package and heating each individual pad with the soldering iron then gently pulling the leg out of the hole. A quick clean up with 'solder wick' or in extreme cases a blast of compressed air when the pad is melted, and you end up with a clean board.

For surface mount I have a bit of the very low melting point solder and flux - add it to the joint and it stays fluid for ages allowing the device to be removed easily.

Parameters Processor Board

She's ALIVE! Eliminated all the variables (program, cable, USB serial adapter) and all signs pointed to the the RS232 circuit on the board. Ordered new ICs (both the transmitter and receiver), removed the board from the machine, replaced the old ICs with the new, reinstalled the board in the machine, loaded the parameters and she is loading programs once again.

IC Parts are shown in the image below (two ICs in line and to the left of the green plug). For anyone interested the PNs are below.

Transmitter: SN75188N
Receiver: SN75189AN

Can't say enough good things about this controller. Even the way they secured the PCB with a nice sheet metal frame is just beautiful. Time to remove the PCB, replace the ICs, replace the PCB and load parameters was around 1.5 hours.

View attachment 197343
View attachment 197342

Hi Bug,

I have found a TOS FNG 40 with a TNC 355 for the controller. I'm having an issue with 'Ext in/out not ready' could this also be the IC chips?

Since no transfer can occur I can't output the parameters of the controller apart from the machine parameters I have written down. Will removing the processor board cause lose of other parameters other than the MP's and are they important in this controller?

Hi Bug,

I have found a TOS FNG 40 with a TNC 355 for the controller. I'm having an issue with 'Ext in/out not ready' could this also be the IC chips?

Since no transfer can occur I can't output the parameters of the controller apart from the machine parameters I have written down. Will removing the processor board cause lose of other parameters other than the MP's and are they important in this controller?

Hi, if you will list your current setup I can get a better sense of what is going on. The "EXT IN/OUT NOT READY" has happened to me before but I believe the settings were incorrect in the controller/my computer, and not an issue with the RS232 transmit/receive ICs.

Start with your computer, the software you are using to transmit (I recommend using TNCServer from Heidenhain, it's a free download), the cables you are using, the pinouts you have for the connections, etc. All that info will be needed to attempt to isolate an issue.

"heidenhain-tnc-151" "wrong program data -transfer blockwise"

"heidenhain-tnc-151" I need a postprocessor to solve the same problem for you, my controller does not read the codes generated in mastercam and it shows me the same error "wrong program data -transfer blockwise"

"heidenhain-tnc-151" I need a postprocessor to solve the same problem for you, my controller does not read the codes generated in mastercam and it shows me the same error "wrong program data -transfer blockwise"

Does it transfer anything?
Will it transfer correctly in regular file transfer?

A 151 is oooooold, and cannot deal with certain things like block form or other things

if you get no data at all, post the first 10 lines of code and we can tell if it will work on a 151

Back