What's new
What's new

helical gear inquiry - weldment?

JEK5019

Plastic
good day -

i have a helical gear that i need machined.

if i were to cut the design in half - left & right side - if there a weldment process in fitting them back together?

it is worth mentioning that this finished gear ( will not ) be used under any stress. it will be used for a tool for pastry dough cutting. :D

cheers!
jk

lbski_20210804_001.jpglbski_20210804_002.jpglbski_20210804_003.jpg

Yeah, I'm with Doug (weird), for that purpose two dowel pins 180° apart will hold those pieces together until the end of time for their intended use.

i have a helical gear that i need machined.
That's actually a herringbone. You could spend a lot of money having it cut on a sykes shaper, if you like :)

Pins would work, or if you wanted to go a little more complicated, some stainless socket head cap screws counterbored into one side, threaded on the other. I kinda like stuff you can tighten up, not sure why.

btw, if you have a gear shop cut the teeth, you may as well make a bunch and sell them, the setup time is going to be more than the cutting time, so you could come out even if you made five or ten. Material is nothing.

I sure do hope the sales of dough produce enough dough to pay for the two helical gears:rolleyes5:

These things don't grow on trees and the gear shops take full advantage of that

You may know Boston Gear makes little 45 degree helicals - left and right - for stock

I think you could probably use a 3d printed gear for a light application. Lots of guys have printed them up. Might need a real CAD system to draw one up that actually suits a given center distance and Diametral pitch. Pulling just any old gear off of Thingiverse isn't likely to be useful. You can contact me if you can't stir up any interest from anyone in your area.

Looks like a set of left hand and right hand knurl wheels side by side.

Emmanuel Goldstein said:
I kinda like stuff you can tighten up, not sure why.
fair point... But if you have two pinned together pieces and a hammer, you can tighten them up!

Pins would work, or if you wanted to go a little more complicated, some stainless socket head cap screws counterbored into one side, threaded on the other. I kinda like stuff you can tighten up, not sure why.
Have yet to get ones good enough (concentric) to work properly.
Use (2) capscrews, and then (2) dowels on the B.C. in a N-S-E-W (4)-Eq. sp.

I think you could probably use a 3d printed gear for a light application. Lots of guys have printed them up. Might need a real CAD system to draw one up that actually suits a given center distance and Diametral pitch. Pulling just any old gear off of Thingiverse isn't likely to be useful. You can contact me if you can't stir up any interest from anyone in your area.

Yup, this - get them printed from PEEK. Strong, and can be cleaned without damage by reasonable agents.

One large dowel pin with bores in each end should do.

Bore the two gear halves thru, then press onto the dowel pin. Might be handy to have the thru bore on gear halves for machining fixturing on a mandrel.

Assume this must be food grade? Crevices (such as socket head cap screws mentioned above) are to be avoided on food handling equipment.

Edit: My suggestion is for a stainless steel construction. When OP said pastry dough, I went immediately to stainless.

Crevices (such as socket head cap screws mentioned above) are to be avoided on food handling equipment.
That's a good point, but I figger this is for personal use, so a little more care in the dishwasher should cover him ... running production I'd probably investment cast it ? Might even be feasible for a one-off, have a jewelry place do the casting ?

Boston Gear would be an okay idea but pretty sure they don't come in stainless.

Yup, this - get them printed from PEEK. Strong, and can be cleaned without damage by reasonable agents.

I would make the first one out of PETG. I've got no experience with PEEK, but looking at the price for a half pound spool makes me wince. :D

Back