What's new
What's new

HELP: 1995 Tree Journeyman 250/Dynapath Delta 20

mhansen

Plastic
Hey Guys,

Just joined the forum today and I am looking for information on a mill I just picked up. I will start out by saying I am not a machinist, just have a little experience from college 10 years ago on manual machines and a summer internship running parts on a HAAS VF2SS. So I picked up a 1995 Tree Journeyman 250 about a month ago on a farm auction, $300 with a Kurt 6" vice so I think I did alright on it. That said, I powered it up on my phase converter at home, dynapath delta 20 controller came on and then I shut it off and didn't touch it for a month. I fired up my phase converter this month and the mill didn't turn on? I know it has an aftermarket power switch (photo below) but I wasn't sure if I was missing a key in the back as well (I cannot remember if it had one or not, but I know my 2 year old likes to steal keys.) Regardless, I would like to hear thoughts on what my issue might be, as well as just more information in general as I don't have any resources outside of the controller and machine manual that came with. I'd love to find a way to make simple parts using this machine and fusion 360 or inventor hsm (I'm told I need something called a drip feeder on the RS32 port) The more info the betterIMG_6502.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know where to point you for the power on situation specifically, the wiring inside is fairly straightforward to trace assuming you are familiar and safe with electrical work. If you think the key is the issue, you can take the switch block off of the inside of the key switch and actuate the contacts to turn it on or just jump across the switch after you determine the switch functions.

On the machine generally, it has very little internal memory so drip feeding (also called DNC) is a good option and works well. I drip fed programs almost exclusively when I had a tree with delta 20. You pretty much need a programming manual as well.
Fusion is probably a good place to start and you can drip feed using Cimco editor that comes with fusion/hsmworks CAM. I specifically picked a laptop with a native rs232 port as i haven't had good luck with usb to rs232 converters. Also set your computer to never go into screen saver mode while drip feeding. The delta 20 post processor from fusion also worked pretty well for me.

good luck
Mike

I don't know where to point you for the power on situation specifically, the wiring inside is fairly straightforward to trace assuming you are familiar and safe with electrical work. If you think the key is the issue, you can take the switch block off of the inside of the key switch and actuate the contacts to turn it on or just jump across the switch after you determine the switch functions.

On the machine generally, it has very little internal memory so drip feeding (also called DNC) is a good option and works well. I drip fed programs almost exclusively when I had a tree with delta 20. You pretty much need a programming manual as well.
Fusion is probably a good place to start and you can drip feed using Cimco editor that comes with fusion/hsmworks CAM. I specifically picked a laptop with a native rs232 port as i haven't had good luck with usb to rs232 converters. Also set your computer to never go into screen saver mode while drip feeding. The delta 20 post processor from fusion also worked pretty well for me.

good luck
Mike

Dyna path is still around and supports that control. If you are doing simple parts you can just use the control as it is not bad to program using the conversational feature. 300.00 is a smoking deal.

You can get most anything for a Dynapath control from the guys at ZPS, ZPS makes the Tree machines so you can also get parts for your machine, they also repair circuit boards. I used them in the past, they are good guys that will help you figure out a problem. Their number is 262-758-6129 I've owned 4 Tree machines over the years, they are good machines.

good luck
Mike

Mike,

I got the machine to fire up, it turned out it was just a door switch issue. That said, do you have any experience on a delta 40 controller as that is what this unit actually is.

I'm glad you found the issue and can power up.

I don't have any experience with the Delta 40, but my understanding is that it's a more capable delta 20. As others have mentioned, dynapath is around and very responsive. I'd start by contacting them and getting a programming manual. That will likely be enough to start with conversational and to check that any CAM/post processor is generating good code.

I'd also recommend getting a jog wheel if it doesn't have one. That sped up my setup by 10x.

Post any more specific questions you have, I'll keep watching this thread.

Mike

Mike,

I got the machine going however I am running into issues with a emergency switch error code not clearing out when I start the machine. I know this code should clear when I pull out on the emergency stop, but it isn't which is preventing me from referencing the machine.

You can call dynapath to see if they can provide wiring diagrams for the control then get to work checking the function of the estop circuit I/O on the control and all of the switches involved in the e stop circuit on the machine. There is a user here named ewlsey that has some good youtube videos on chasing down a similar failure on a tree. I think the issue he found was a bad component on a control pcb and not a switch.

I think the best use of your time is to track down manuals and wiring diagrams for this machine and control then go from there. Dynapath and ZPS are both around and very helpful as others mentioned.

Mike

I just bought a Journeyman 325 with Delta 20 controller and can’t figure out how to clear the faults. Machine won’t jog or anything. I just got power on it and it’s all new to me. I do have CNC routers and using Mach 3 on those so this will be a learning curve. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff,

I was told to check that the machine is not on its limit switches. post some photos of the screen and maybe we can learn together

I have a Mighty Comet with Dynapath 40-50-60 Controller my start up procedure is:
Power up main
Undo E stop
Reset button
Reset button
Reference 0
Then you should be good to go. For sure be off the limit switches before referencing.
The guys at Dynapath are awesome and got me out of trouble more than once.

Axis on the software stops

I just bought a Journeyman 325 with Delta 20 controller and can’t figure out how to clear the faults. Machine won’t jog or anything. I just got power on it and it’s all new to me. I do have CNC routers and using Mach 3 on those so this will be a learning curve. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Get all axis of stops, then reference

Back