What's new
What's new

Surface finish prior anodizing

RBS

Plastic
Hi there,

I am looking into getting aluminium parts anodized. What is the appropriate surface treatment to achieve a slightly matte finish as shown in the image below? It doesn't have the typical bead-blasted appearance.

I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

surface_finishes.jpg

it is difficult to tell from that picture, but it doesn't look to me that anything special was done to it, maybe just slightly longer etch time prior to anodizing, might be just the material itself, for instance - 6082 aluminum will become slightly more matte when anodized without doing anything special to it compared to 6061, and that is due to higher Si content in 6082

maybe it was TypeIII anodized and the part to the left was TypeII, thicker oxide layer may make make it look more matte as well, can be number of things... but the best bet would be slightly longer caustic etch prior to anodizing

I primarily work with alluminum and anodizing and could help, however I feel that picture is not clear enough to help you accurately find a solution because it looks to me like you are pointing to some pocketed area with no good light source to accurately show the finish. Way too many ways to get different ano finishes to guess.

Whenever I have faced trying to figure out how or what was done to a part to get a specific ano finish or color, I go to the ano shop and talk to the manager. They have many "tricks of the trade" to achieve a specific look.

Back