What's new
What's new

HELP - Choose right CNC Lathe

doug8cat

Titanium
I am wanting to expand things, I am wanting to acquire my first cnc lathe.
I have a good opportunity (work waiting) to Justify the purchase; So for starters
Looking at Okuma, Mazak, and Haas in no particular order.
Need a swing of ~23"
Work between centers 20" more better
Live tooling
Sub spindle ?
Chuck size ~9
X axis travel 11"
Z axis travel to commensurate chuck dia.
Tool eye / pre setter
min 10 stations
Round about 20 Hp
Material right off the hop brass, bronze & SS
miss anything?

Been looking at a Haas SL20.
Budget around 20k to 25k
Already have a turning CAD CAM pkg.
Please be gentle, am I way off the mark here?
I would prefer something form this decade

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:bowdown:

I like my Hitachi lathes, I have ht20sIIs but you need something a bit bigger to swing 23"
If you're going used, I'd stay away from Mazak, They wanted more for the manuals than I payed for my QT20, 10x what I paid actually. Seems like some people aren't yasnac fans but all the yasnac information is free, and if you call them they will actually try to help you instead of trying to get you to bust out your checkbook, one of ours lost the tool change motor controller, they told us what boards could work as replacements and we found one for a couple hundred on ebay, they also told us how to set it up to work in that application. Also hitachis seem to be cheap right now, I picked up both mine working with tools and holders for half of scrap price, one even came with an lns barfeeder.

If you are actually going to be working on >20" workpieces, you should take a close look at whatever lathe you are interested in, and sort out how you would arrange tooling to get out that far. Some lathes (like mine) spec a fairly large OD capacity, but I would need to come up with some hokey extension to get any OD tooling that far out, as the turret travel isn't long enough.

Regards.

Mike

One thing you might want to look into is that if you're doing 23" dia work, you will want more than 20hp usually.
Okuma and Samsung are really good from my experience, not sure if Mori is still good but I assume they are.
Hyundai, Doosan, are others that might fit your needs.
I have no experience with Haas.
Make sure you budget $5-$10k for tooling and holders if you're going to be doing long bores and drilling.

As far as Mazaks go, they may cost a bit more for upkeep but along with that they just go and can survive some hellacious crashes as well. I had a coworker literally remove the second spindle with the primary spindle on a 20-30 year old multi-plex in a crash and the company shipped it out and had it back and running inside a month I have no idea what it cost to fix but it ran just fine after it came back. I can count on one hand the number of breakdowns I've seen on mazaks and thats across 8 years and about 30 of thier lathes. I bought shipped, installed, and tooled up a QT15n for less than $23k gave her the go juice and started making chips the moment my tooling came in.

Okumas are decent and I've cut some pretty big stuff on those as well(26" OD about 25" long). If you can wrap your head around programming using a multi-turn(2 turrets single spindle) those are really handy units as well that can give you some serious time savings on production runs.

As far as your budget goes I think you'd have to be lucky to find a lathe that size for 20-25k even this side of the millenium. But I could be wrong.

Thank you guys,
In reading through what you wrote to me about; I will revise on criterion, lets us say ~17" swing+/-, I went a bit large in that parameter. Made the mistake of thinking it would add flexibility down the road, so if things come to that I will have buy another machine or trade up.

Thanks again for your help, if you or friends have any more ideas I am all ears (well mostly).
Doug

Back