What's new
What's new

Help - Fanuc Series 0-Mate M Magazine Lost Position

couch

Cast Iron
Having some trouble again with my toolchanger on my 1989 Toyo Seiki Cobra 400

Have been running a job for the past few days without issue. Three tools, high quantity, no big deal. Shut it down a few nights ago like usual. Next day turned it on and ran a tool change and the magazine just kept spinning, went around three or so times before stopping between tools. No alarm.

Ran a magazine index and it went to the next tool and stopped correctly. Magazine index again, good, ran it again and it started skipping spots. Pulled all the tools out and loaded a single holder just in case it throws it and now its randomly getting stuck half way and saying “Other Tool”.

I’ve attached photos of the control, diagnostics page with pot/tool numbers and the pages from the manual I have.

I can change to tools numbers in the Diagnostics page (have not done this yet), and don’t mind resetting all my offsets but I don’t want to just start changing things and mess it up further. I can manually index the magazine and manually tool change (bottom left buttons on the control) without going thru MDI so I can start at 1 and go from there.

Another issue that I've had with it is that it overshoots the magazine position when running counter-clockwise and continues to search, until it gives up and stops, no alarm. As soon as I move the magazine, by hand, to the position the machine will just sit and wait. Clockwise rotation works as normal. I can get it to work counter-clockwise by repositioning the magazine sensor but then it does the same thing clockwise, but can't split the difference enough to work both ways. Curious if there may be a parameter for these settings, maybe a time delay/etc before the magazine locating pin pops into the pocket. PO had this issue as well. I've just been loading my tools in line, and haven't been able to preload my first tool at the end of a program unless the magazine is more than half way around, so the shortest distance is clockwise. Its workable, but annoying.

Any help or advise on this would be greatly appreciated! I have this machine at home and can be down for a bit to figure this out but would like to get it back up ASAP. Thank you!

-Ken

Attachments

• IMG-1345.jpg
    IMG-1345.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG-1348.jpg
    IMG-1348.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG-1350.jpg
    IMG-1350.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG-1351.jpg
    IMG-1351.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 126
You need to figure out what the machine uses to detect and count magazine position. Limit switch(es), proximity sensor(s), or encoder are common methods. Most likely your trouble is there.

I believe there is an encoder on the spindle of the magazine. That’s what I’ve rotated to adjust the timing of the magazine. I checked to ensure that was still tight and it is but I’ll pull it apart and check it out. Was acting as if it was loose.

I had this entire thing apart last year since a few of the bearings inside broke. Replaced what I could and built the rest so mechanically its been okay.

You need to figure out what the machine uses to detect and count magazine position. Limit switch(es), proximity sensor(s), or encoder are common methods. Most likely your trouble is there.

I dug into this a bit more today and the machine definitely has a rotary encoder. MFG is Omron, PN is E6C-AB4C

It looks to be discontinued, but I’ll reach out to Omron tomorrow to see if there is an alternate.

a quick web search also offers repairs and maybe new encoders. If I were out of options I would convert to prox switches sensing holes: much like the Mazak V5. For a limited number of tools it isn't too hard.

Pulled the entire tool changer apart today and removed the Omron rotary encoder. Opened it up and it was full of coolant/oil. Cleaned it all out with isopropyl alcohol, reassembled and everything works now as it should, minus the magazine overshooting the knock pin. I’ve adjusted the encoder to split the difference and will modify the pin to hopefully catch the pockets in the magazine regardless of which direction it’s rotating. Crossing my fingers on this one but the encoder seems to be good now!

Back