What's new
What's new

HELP - Haas mini lathe 2001 looses power.....

Dpientak

Plastic
I just bought a 2001 mini lathe crazy low hours like new. But when I try to spin up the spindle to 3k or higher the control losses power for a sec and then comes right back on. Looks the the IO board is what looses power. No alarm code in history at all! Help please!

Is there any vibration when you get up to 3000 rpm that might be shaking something loose?

I'd kill the power for a bit then start checking all the connections starting at the wires coming from your buildings breaker box...or at least the leads coming into machine and follow. Make sure snug and well seated.

Or start with the connectors to boards. Make sure snug, remove and re-seat.

I just bought a 2001 mini lathe crazy low hours like new. But when I try to spin up the spindle to 3k or higher the control losses power for a sec and then comes right back on. Looks the the IO board is what looses power. No alarm code in history at all! Help please!

No warrantee?

Wait, what year is it?

giphy.gif

Hello all and thank you for the suggestions! Unfortunately I have tried all this. Well except try re-seating the power supply connections, I will try that today.

I bought the machine from a friend for $5k and it only has 48 hours on it, super clean. No warranty. its a 2001 Haas Mini Lathe. Just ran 200 parts and limited the spindle speed to 2500 and it worked fine. It shuts down when ever I run it above 3000. It does seam vibration or noise related.

My panel is 100 feet away, and I ran #6 to the sub panel in my shop. From there its #8 to the machine, about 30 feet. The only thing I can think of is my sub panel only has a #12 wire for the ground going from the main panel to my sub panel. Im thinking about running a bigger wire to see if that helps.

Other then that Im pretty stumped. About to call a Haas tech!

The voltage coming in is single phase 247VAC. The Transformer is set for the 240V tap. The shop I took it out of was also 240VAC Single phase.

I just tried running a larger conductor ground back to the main panel, no change at all. Still shuts down.

Im starting to think the processor board is rebooting. Maybe from noise, maybe power failure I don't know. I checked the power coming out of the AT Computer power supply that is known to have issues and at least the 5V and 12V rails looked good. I couldn't get to the -12V easily. So I still have to check that one.

I had one a few years older than yours, just sold it but it had to have an earth ground. I am having trouble remembering why but it had an 8 foot ground rod at the machine, it may have been comunication related.

I have had good luck calling the factory boys, at least you can have the troubles hooting part out of the way if you do end up needing the HFO, there is no charge for calling the factory

Since it seems to be spindle speed related, first thing I'd check would be the tach output from the spindle - with a scope, not a multimeter.

If that's not it, I'd fear a drive fault. Ugh $$$

Most of us don't have a scope or the know how to use it. In my experiance there are a number of errors that show up with a drive fault, if it is, rebuilds ain't that bad especially given the price of the machine.
I would get the factory guys to help diagnose. They are helpful and free

Most of us don't have a scope or the know how to use it. In my experiance there are a number of errors that show up with a drive fault, if it is, rebuilds ain't that bad especially given the price of the machine.
I would get the factory guys to help diagnose. They are helpful and free
Scopes to do most work on an nc machine are not expensive, you can find an okay one on craigslist for forty or fifty bucks, easy. 40 mhz is fine, for most stuff a 20 will do the job.

For simple troubleshooting they are not difficult to use, anyone who can write part programs should be able to learn it, and they are hugely useful.

For instance, in this case, the symptom is that after a certain rpm, the spindle quits. (Or that's what we were told, I have noticed that people are not good about explaining the symptoms of their failure.) It seems very likely that the problem is speed-related. A common failure is the tachometer. Bad bearings, worn brushes, they can work fine at low speeds but crap at when you spin them faster.

A scope will show this. A multimeter will not. Tachs, ripple on various voltages, encoders, all kinds of trrouble-shooting is way easier with an oscilloscope. It's not that difficult, and it's a huge help. Honest.

A lot of things the "factory guys" can't do. They aren't onsite. The more and better information you can give them, the better they can help you.

If you have an nc machine, you should have a scope ... it's that useful.

Well I do have a oscilloscope. I an Electrical Engineer, so I have all the cool tools. It acts like a noise issue or vibration. Also another side note, I tryed ramping it up slowly and it works perfect. All they way to 6k! Its only on a quick ramp up is when it drops power. I checked my input voltage and its super good actually. I only drop 6 volts on the mains and the power facture is almost perfect. Even on a heavy draw around .9!

Does any one have a schematic for this machine?

I already talked to one of the Haas service guys and he suggested the AT power supply, but said he never heard of it failing like this. Maybe today I will try to call the factory direct.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Keep it coming. It has to be something.

Back