What's new
What's new

Help to identify extent of damage - CNC Lathe Flat Bed Ways

rollerman13

Plastic
Hello All,

Hoping to get some of your advice and thoughts on what type of damage these ways have - and how much it may affect performance.

The background here is that I'm looking to purchase a relatively large CNC flatbed lathe. This machine is a 1m swing x 5m B.C. cnc flatbed lathe. It is a 1999 Hankook. While not my first choice, I cannot afford a new machine of this size currently as we continue to grow our business.

I am currently unable to view the machine in person. My wife is due in about 5 weeks with the expectation things are happening sooner. I'm not gonna be able to travel.

While I would not generally recommend buying machines without seeing them in person I have done it many times with good results.

I am not accustomed to seeing the type of marks on the ways that this machine has. Can anyone comment on what causes/caused this type of marking/chipping? And should I run away from the machine because of it? I'm not expecting the machine to run like it was brand new, but I also don't want a sloppy mess of steel/iron that can't cut a decent profile... I've really never seen chipping like this.

Opinions, comments, anything would be helpful. I am desperate to get a large(r) machine in as I have a lot of backlog that would benefit from keeping work of larger sizes in-house.

Thank you

IMG_9638.jpgIMG_9637.jpgIMG_9636.jpg

Yeah, not sure what we are looking at here. Part of it looks like it could be scraping/flaking and the other section looks like it could be staining.

Or they could be hooped. No way to tell from those pics

Back