What's new
What's new

Help identifying controller from hurco km3

Ewindward

Plastic
Hey guys,
I recently acquired all parts including controller, servos, mounting hardware, everything except the iron of a hurco KM3. I paid less than 200 for it all from a family friend who passed away. I know it is all functional, However I'm not sure of what I have here. Is it worth retrofitting to a new (new to me aka used) machine, or would I be better off selling it off? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Controller and electronics
Hurco unknown controller - Album on Imgur

Baldor servos
Baldor servos - Album on Imgur

Donor machine info
Hco - Album on Imgur

Thanks, it does look similar to some anilam controls I've found online. I do have a wiring manual that came with the control that says its for dynapath/ultipath controls, but I haven't been able to find any similar looking dynapath controls online

Also when the control was working it had a type of graphical cad/cam software in the control, similar to the new prototraks which gives me the impression it could be newer? I believe it is a 1998 model

If I was going to put the time and effort into a retrofit, I'd want to use modern control components, if possible ones that have some official support or user community around. I don't think you're going to find that with these parts. Everything I've heard about retrofits suggests that unless you are very experienced, the majority of a retrofit's cost is the time to engineer, test, and debug, not the cost of hardware.

Worst case scenario
, you sink a lot of time into a retrofit with these parts then run into some insurmountable roadblock because you are missing a crucial piece of knowledge only held by long-retired Hurco folks. Or you invest a lot of effort and something just doesn't work (broken or technically unsuitable in a way that becomes evident later).
Best case scenario, you spend lots of time and effort and get a working CNC machine with this control, just 20 (30?) years behind everything else. Given the cost breakdown above, still not a great outcome as you could be technically miles ahead with newer hardware while still spending the same amount of time (or less, if you can get supported hardware).

Of course if this is a cash-poor, time-rich situation (hobbyist project, in other words), perhaps it is worth it to mess around with for "edutainment" purposes? Although still I believe you would be at risk of grinding to a halt somewhere down the line due to lack of info/support/unforseen technical issues- I like finishing projects, even my hobby ones.

IMO it's probably worth the most to someone who needs replacement parts for their machine...stick it on ebay?

If it is an Anilam, here is your go-to guy:

Send him the picture, he will know.

He put my 1100M back on it's feet and had several upgrades.

Don Schoof
Measurement Technologies
23060 Industrial Drive East
Saint Clair Shores MI

313-640-8080 Phone
313-640-8050 Fax

Thank you guys so much. Carbonbl, I am inclined to agree with you, however I figured if it was something decent it may be worth holding onto for the future. From what I can tell the servos may be worth holding onto though, what do you think? I know even just the wiring manual I have is very valuable on ebay as I have searched it.thank you also snowshoze I will definitely get in touch with him before I make any decisions. Once again thanks guys, have a great new year

Back