What's new
What's new

Help me! What is the good CNC machine brand?

smartvn2020

Banned
My company works in the mechanical industry. We have CNC machines of Makino (PS65, PS105, F3), Fanuc (RoboDrill α-D21LiB)now. We need to add a few more machines in the future.
So I want to see if there is any better machine?

While my ultimate goal is to own a couple fully optioned out die and mold Makinos I was under the impression there are a couple of European brands that sit at the top of the list above Makino. I don't think I would ever consider one of these brands but they do exist.

My company works in the mechanical industry. We have CNC machines of Makino (PS65, PS105, F3), Fanuc (RoboDrill α-D21LiB)now. We need to add a few more machines in the future.

it all depends on your application, as some machines are better suited then others.

there are many brands out there, okouma, Mazak, Haas, and the list can go on forever.....
Some specialize in tiny parts while others do massive stuff, while others can be better on 5th axis, lathe etc, you see where im going with this.

Yasda and Nakamura come to mind as better than Makino. But totally depends on the application.

This is like asking which car is best. The "Ford" guy will tell you one thing, the "Chevy" guy another, and the "Mopar" guy something too. :D

I'm very partial to Okuma as a premium machine. I worked for Doosan for years and they're a good value machine but not in the league of Makino or Okuma. If you're already running Makino, you're pretty much "arrived" in the machine tool world. A Yasda or Mitsui might be a little better, but incrementally so. Makino is good stuff, no doubt about it.

Yasda and Nakamura come to mind as better than Makino. But totally depends on the application.

Whaaaa????

Since Nakamura only builds lathes and Makino does not make lathes, it is really impossible to say who is better.

The OP's question is too vague to properly answer. If he is doing die and or mold work versus high volume commodity part production, versus job shopping, the best machine will in most cases come from different builders.

To quote one of the Citizen Machinery sales reps I spoke to at Mach 2016 where most of the major machine manufacturers had a stand,

"There are no bad machines at this show, only ones that aren't right for your application"

PS 65, PS 105, and F3 are all made in Singapore ~ All good.

Most of the "other " Makino machines are made in Japan and some special models made in Singapore not available in the USA> But might be available in Vietnam ?

@smartvn2020 how do you like your PS105 and what options did you have / get ?

Also just CNC milling ?

Anything in the grinding ? Turning ? Lapping ? Wire EDM ? Sinker EDM ? Bigger travels 3 axis ? - direction ?

Or more mills ?

5 axis mills ?

Mill turn ?

+ whatever it is that you need / want to do ?

What's the plan "Stan" @ smartvn2020 ?

More Robodrills ?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

*** Roadmap of machines in the CNC milling + Makino idea for the "Sand pit" we fiddle about in up from PS65, PS105, F5, RoboDrill α-D21LiB.

Wire EDM U3/U6 various options + 4th axis. + relevant support equipment + "Hole popper" machines.

- D 200 Z (small hyper precise 5 axis machine decent removal rate / range of materials ), mold capable , good for medical.

- Then DA 300 + automation .

- Then for bigger mold work and complex structural components V90S,

- Then probably an F9 for oversized structural components ... <--- Not sure if the F9 is any good or somewhat problematic ? Maybe different machine / MTB or different higher torque spindle specification for F9.

I'm not really into 4th axis horizontal - I'm sure I have a "hole" in my thinking / just can't make it fit / work for what we need.

Then more Wire EDM machines .... Mo'

Maybe for more specialized applications a partially tricked out V33i.

[But @smartvn you have different ideas / plans / needs in mind ? ] AND maybe you are not getting on so well with Makino ?

Maybe for gangbusters production of zillions of parts there are some small footprint five axis machines that Makino make that are only sold in SE Asia ... One mo.

Slim3n | Makino

Slim3n Mill Turn | Makino

Slim series ^^^ + Slim 3n (mill turn).

^^^ annoying DMG Mori like music lol ~ But this is cute - robot doing finishing operations de burring and small footprint Makino machine with a twin c axis rotaries on a 5 axis trunnion. ~ I don't think these are sold in the USA to maybe not tread on Fanuc's Toes too much on US soil ? Like don't mess with Robodrill Mr. Makino (says Fanuc America :nono: ). + Makino's "need" to have a certain level of machine in the US market (seemingly).

:::: @smartvn2020 NEW or Second hand ?

Last edited:

Back