What's new
What's new

Help needed. Issues starting up XYZ KR-v3000slv

Tallen

Plastic
Hi guys.

A little about my situation, i purchased a KR-V3000SLV with A.G.E3 at auction which I knew had an issue on start up. The display states there is an invalid system disc and says to replace and press any key. There is sometimes an I/O read error but this is very uncommon.

I bought the machine for hobby work and apparently it was functioning before the sale (I take that statement with a pinch of salt though). ;)

The machine is fitted with 2 usb emulators and the usb is detected by the machine.

Im not sure if i should start by purchasing a replacement USB system disc or check something else first? The system disc is cheap at £53 if it fixes the issue.

Any thoughts on what to check?

A few pictures below (hopefully they work correctly as I dont post often hehe)

223502_0.jpg20210923_194423.jpg
IMG-20210922-WA0014.jpg223501_0.jpg

Would be nice to hear what people think of their machines if they have similar models.

I still need to sort 3p power but that's a whole other rabbit hole!

Thanks in advance.

Ok Il keep this updated incase it helps others.

Having limited knowledge of this equipment and the history of the machine itself i attempted to troubleshoot what i thought would be likely issues.

I checked the USB in each drive. It was detected and recognised as a bootable drive but was invalid for unknown reasons.

I checked the data on the usb by connecting it to my laptop. I had AGE2, AGE3 and Dos folders, to the untrained eye it looked like it should function. I have no way to check the status of the data.

Only one drive is required to run the machine. Both drives are on the same ribbon cable. I tried swapping the configuration of the drives and usb on the ribbon cable incase it was a faulty drive/emulator to no avail. Before starting this process i did note there was damage on the ribbon cable at the end where it connects to the boot drive. Although the plastic clip was damaged the cable appeared to still be intact although the ribbon was pulled on one side (pulled out slightly from the crimped connections but still appears connected). I don't have a replacement cable to check this.

I re-seated the drives and connections incase there was a connection issue but no change.

Sometimes i see an I/O issue however this is not often. Researching this I came across people saying this could be a hard drive issue however I can't see one on the machine, at least not like a conventional PC HDD. I also saw some references to the motherboard battery, again Ive no idea if the machine has one.

I have ordered the system USB from XYZ UK and expect it On Monday/Tuesday. Fingers crossed it sorts the issue.

On the up side this will give me more time to clean down the machine and fix the mechanical issues she has. IIm really pleased with the quality of the ways and screws, I cant perceive any backlash on the X and Y axis.

Noticed moisture inside the pendant last night which is quite concerning. If anyone has advice how to deal with this it would be appreciated otherwise its getting opened up and dried with a 10w bulb or something of that sort.

Cheers

If it's got a 486 and a BIOS, it's got a CMOS backup battery on the motherboard. It'll be a button cell, probably a CR2032 like what goes in a watch. No idea if it's your problem or not, just confirming that it'll be there, since you said you weren't sure.

Thanks for the info. No idea at this stage, I'm just getting to know the machine at the moment so a lot of research is being done.

I will wait until the system disk turns up then if that fails I will attempt to find/replace the battery. Might be worth doing anyway but i don't really want mess with anything that might be working fine unless i really have to!

In the meantime i have been working on the high/low gear leaver. I had to strip the hi/low gear change as it was jammed and had been damaged/forced by the previous owner. Strange thing is it was easy enough to release with a bit of tlc and rocking back and forth. Now its nice and smooth to change. They must have been hammering it into gear :crazy:

Previous owner also left two bare 240v wires hanging lose and connected to the 240v supply. They were for the machining light. I removed them and will fix the light later, hat's one hazard sorted.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. No idea at this stage, I'm just getting to know the machine at the moment so a lot of research is being done.

I will wait until the system disk turns up then if that fails I will attempt to find/replace the battery. Might be worth doing anyway but i don't really want mess with anything that might be working fine unless i really have to!

In the meantime i have been working on the high/low gear leaver. I had to strip the hi/low gear change as it was jammed and had been damaged/forced by the previous owner. Strange thing is it was easy enough to release with a bit of tlc and rocking back and forth. Now its nice and smooth to change. They must have been hammering it into gear :crazy:

Previous owner also left two bare 240v wires hanging lose and connected to the 240v supply. They were for the machining light. I removed them and will fix the light later, hat's one hazard sorted.

Cheers

I’ve got two of them. No issues what so ever. Jonas as XYZ is very helpful with sorting out its quirks. My guess is the issue lies with the floppy emulator. For reasons only known to XYZ some of their emulators will be straight plug and play into certain machines,and other machines won’t have it. I think they want something like £150 to sort the emulator issue out,you send the control into them and they sort it.

Thanks Johnny

Glad to hear you have few issues with them!

We have a XYZ1500 at work with AGE2 thats what prompted me to purchase a similar machine. I might have over shot slightly by purchasing a 3000 for hobby work though! I'm curious what is a reasonable price for these machines? I got mine at auction, with no reserve. She is 2001, seams reasonably tight, has a power drawbar and powered quill & Zaxis(why both)?

Il try the drives again when I get the new USB at least I will have one bit of hardware i can trust for the test hehe.

Spoke to Jonas last week, very helpful considering the limited info I could provide.

Looking into rotary converters atm to run her but I won't buy until i get the Trak working.

Cheers

Success!

The machine was telling the truth. It was the system disc all along. I got her up and running today (single phase only) after DHL delivered the new USB. The X axis was stalling/skipping so I stripped the glass scale and cleaned everything with cotton buds, paintbrush and a cloth. bit nervous about taking that apart but if its broke to begin with there was nothing to loose! there is still an issue in one spot but IL try some isopropyl alcohol and see if that sorts it.

Im shocked at the standard of the ball screws and ways. this machine seems to be tighter than I first thought. Chuffed when I saw that.

Now that I know it works its time to spend a bit more and sort 3p power. Any suggestions? I have 3p over head but cant justify the connection cost at the moment (if ever) so I'm thinking of buying a rotary phase converter. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. I would be leaning towards a RPC instead of a VFD as the RPC could run other equipment as well without too much trouble.

Cheers

Back