What's new
What's new

Help - Our first milling machine

CanisMinor

Plastic
My company is a precision sheet metal fabricator. We've always outsourced our machined component or tight tolerance features to a local machine shop. We have justified the expense of purchasing a CNC mill. We will not be doing any uber critical tolerance features in the machine. 90% will be features added to .190" & .250" thick aluminum 5052-H32 (i.e. drilling, tapping, and some milling) to either laser cut blanks or saw cut to size channels and extrusions. What specifically I'm looking for is assistance tooling the machine up and advice on work holding / part holding. I have no idea what I'm getting in to here and have no machining background. Any advice is appreciated.

My company is a precision sheet metal fabricator. We've always outsourced our machined component or tight tolerance features to a local machine shop. We have justified the expense of purchasing a CNC mill. We will not be doing any uber critical tolerance features in the machine. 90% will be features added to .190" & .250" thick aluminum 5052-H32 (i.e. drilling, tapping, and some milling) to either laser cut blanks or saw cut to size channels and extrusions. What specifically I'm looking for is assistance tooling the machine up and advice on work holding / part holding. I have no idea what I'm getting in to here and have no machining background. Any advice is appreciated.

Oy... where to begin?

First you need to figure out the sizes of the pieces you will be putting in the mill to figure out your needed table size.

You'll be sad to know 5052 is not too willing to be cut in the milling environment. Just expect that difficulty. 5052 loves to be bent, thats why you use it.

I've never tried it, but it may cut better with more relief behind the cutting edge. The trouble is, its soft, and doesn't have the strength to support the cuttting process.

What machine did you buy?

Regards,
Stan-

Back