What's new
What's new

Help with Side Mill Cutter

septooth

Plastic
I have never really used a side mill cutter before and could use a little information. I have to remove a 3/16 radius around a bend in a corner on a low carbon steel. To do so I have to side mill cut around the bend. I could use suggestions. I need to decide if a staggered tooth cutter or straight tooth cutter would be better, how many teeth and what speed and feed. It will be 3" diameter and 1/4 wide cutter.

Attachments

• Radius.jpg
    Radius.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 157
I have never really used a side mill cutter before and could use a little information. I have to remove a 3/16 radius around a bend in a corner on a low carbon steel. To do so I have to side mill cut around the bend. I could use suggestions. I need to decide if a staggered tooth cutter or straight tooth cutter would be better, how many teeth and what speed and feed. It will be 3" diameter and 1/4 wide cutter.

what is side mill ? you mean a wheel mill or even a woodruff cutter ?

To the OP I don't speak Imperial but If I was you the wider the better. To take the rad out in one go would not be a problem.

If it matters that you touch off on the already machined surface... back it off and take skim cuts till you just touch it off. Or else make a Fixture in a lathe so you can dial it in manually till you reach full depth.

Does it need to be so large? I would run a woodruff at 1-2 thou per tooth and 150 SFM for HSS for a starting point.

A straight tooth will handle that just fine.

Is that part surfaced? Next time using a flat endmill down the ramp might get you close enough where this can be done in the previous op.

Does it need to be so large? I would run a woodruff at 1-2 thou per tooth and 150 SFM for HSS for a starting point.
So large??? 3" OD would be a rather small milling cutter. 4" or 4.5" would be more typical OD, and I have a drawer with some in the 6" and 7" OD range.

The photo doesn't have a scale, but that's a 3/16" radius to be removed, which means the slot is (by eyeball) at least 3/4" deep. A standard milling cutter is going to be way cheaper that a Woodruff cutter of the required diameter.

I do agree with those speeds and feeds to start. I think a plain (no side teeth) cutter would work, and would prefer a straight side-tooth cutter over a staggered tooth cutter for this situation, where the cutter is narrower than the existing slot and there is more than ample room for chips.

Last edited:
So large??? 3" OD would be a rather small milling cutter. 4" or 4.5" would be more typical OD, and I have a drawer with some in the 6" and 7" OD range.

The photo doesn't have a scale, but that's a 3/6" radius to be removed, which means the slot is (by eyeball) at least 3/4" deep. A standard milling cutter is going to be way cheaper that a Woodruff cutter of the required diameter.

I do agree with those speeds and feeds to start. I think a plain (no side teeth) cutter would work, and would prefer a straight side-tooth cutter over a staggered tooth cutter for this situation, where the cutter is narrower than the existing slot and there is more than ample room for chips.

Y'know you're right I do similar work and without something for scale in the picture I just had a brainfart.

Back