What's new
What's new

Help with speeds and feeds.

bastarddsm

Aluminum
So I've been running my vmc for a year or so now, and I feel like I'm getting a decent handle on stuff, but sometimes I'm second guessing myself.

Anyway I picked up a shars 3" 45* facemill with the korloy seht x83 inserts a bit ago and have been running it in 6061 like I think I should have been. Been running it about 3100sfm, 0.005"ipt. Usually full width and as much as 0.05" deep. I'm programming a part right now and was looking around to see what I should really be doing, and looks like I should only be like 1100sfm. Is that right? Have I been too hard on it? I can't say the machine objects too it. The machine is a Tree VMC1060 big old 20hp box way deal. What should I be doing for finishing, so far I've been just backing off the feed and depth of cut to like .010"

What about high speed steel stuff. I've been using YG1's aluminum specific hss endmills for a while. Ive been running them about 2x the recommended sfm. I have a 3/4 in the machine I've been running 6500rpm (1200sfm) and 150ipm (.011ipt) usually 1" axial, and 0.125" radial. It's removed about 50lbs of chips so far and still going, but it's starting to dull a bit. Flood coolant obviously. Usually runs about 75% spindle load, with peaks at like 150 when it gets in a corner or whatever.

So am I going to ruin stuff, or doing what I should be doing. I should be just trying to make this run trouble free so I can do other things, but it's hard to not want to see what it can do.

So am I going to ruin stuff, or doing what I should be doing. I should be just trying to make this run trouble free so I can do other things, but it's hard to not want to see what it can do.
I can't comment on the facemill as I've never used that brand.
As for the HSS end mills, that might be a little quick but if it's working then send it.
If you get a carbide version of that you could run it about 40% faster with that same depth of cut and stepover.

Cutters/cutting edges are fragile until they get a little wear land perhaps .002 to .010(for CI) then they get much stronger for a time...then at a certain wear land they are at their max and burn up or fracture. Good to know the limits.

It seems you are using reasonable feeds.
A bit too high on the speed for HSS.
It does get dull pretty quick. Especially when going 2x over manufacturers recommendations.

A carbide end mill would be more productive and last 10 times longer.

Zero-divide above sells some very useful software and a very fair price. I've used it when getting jobs going, then fine tune a little bit. If you reduce the radial a bit and the sfm a little your tool will last a lot longer. If you are so inclined, spend a few bucks on the software and see what it says. It takes into account machine rigidity, tool stick out, etc.

So I've been running my vmc for a year or so now, and I feel like I'm getting a decent handle on stuff, but sometimes I'm second guessing myself.

Anyway I picked up a shars 3" 45* facemill with the korloy seht x83 inserts a bit ago and have been running it in 6061 like I think I should have been. Been running it about 3100sfm, 0.005"ipt. Usually full width and as much as 0.05" deep. I'm programming a part right now and was looking around to see what I should really be doing, and looks like I should only be like 1100sfm. Is that right? Have I been too hard on it? I can't say the machine objects too it. The machine is a Tree VMC1060 big old 20hp box way deal. What should I be doing for finishing, so far I've been just backing off the feed and depth of cut to like .010"

What about high speed steel stuff. I've been using YG1's aluminum specific hss endmills for a while. Ive been running them about 2x the recommended sfm. I have a 3/4 in the machine I've been running 6500rpm (1200sfm) and 150ipm (.011ipt) usually 1" axial, and 0.125" radial. It's removed about 50lbs of chips so far and still going, but it's starting to dull a bit. Flood coolant obviously. Usually runs about 75% spindle load, with peaks at like 150 when it gets in a corner or whatever.

I would look at the YG ALU-POWER endmills, they work great in 6061. In some of the machining I would max the spindle out using these endmills.

Back