Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My feeling is that having the Doosan machine tool division being sold off as a separate entity is going to be a good thing in the long run. Andy is right it is the jewel in the Doosan crown and now it will have the autonomy to be more agile and dynamic i.e. Potentially be able to serve its own needs in the market place in a more focused way.

On a personal note I am kind of "bummed" that Doosan machine tools was taken away from our local dealer as that was always my fall back position. Sort of... "No matter what we can buy Doosan machines and do well", now that crutch/level of security has been kicked away from us and others etc. locally. I have been really impressed by the newer and higher end offerings that Doosan have been bringing out more recently and displays a more unique and separate design identity/maturity.

Over all this is the sign of the times... Most of the machines I am looking at to build a new shop with are from Taiwan... To me Korea seems a lot more stable than the Taiwan straight/China situation. [Basically Taiwan is not allowed to declare independence from China; doing so would trigger a major military conflict; China is constitutionally mandated to take back Taiwan (eventually) one way or another]. It does beg the question how is it that the US does not manufacture really high end cnc machine tools that modern industry is becoming increasingly reliant on... And not least related to issues of national/economic security? I have to admit (personally) I don't like being so far down the end of a very long chain that is potentially very fragile or inaccessible.

2. Likes LockNut, 2outof3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DaewDoo

Ok maybe that doesn't sound right...but yeah, a new better name probably wouldn't hurt.

I didn't know they were changing owners.
    Lots of changes in the cnc world lately eh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doosan does offer a lot of products to a lot of user-industries. And it does so at a profit. Maybe being all-things to all-people isn't the most sustainable business model long term, but they are doing a lot of things right, and let's be honest, credit where it's due... Andy you mentioned that you don't compete much with Doosan - I would ask yourself why... Where are they "winning" where you cannot/do not compete? I would call that opportunity. (This is obviously way outside of my expertise, is hypothetical, and certainly not applicable to all dealers/buyers/importers, but it does give one food for thought, and does shine light on the fact that they're doing something - several things actually - right...)

5. Likes dstryr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    Doosan does offer a lot of products to a lot of user-industries. And it does so at a profit. Maybe being all-things to all-people isn't the most sustainable business model long term, but they are doing a lot of things right, and let's be honest, credit where it's due... Andy you mentioned that you don't compete much with Doosan - I would ask yourself why... Where are they "winning" where you cannot/do not compete? I would call that opportunity. (This is obviously way outside of my expertise, is hypothetical, and certainly not applicable to all dealers/buyers/importers, but it does give one food for thought, and does shine light on the fact that they're doing something - several things actually - right...)
    I don't sell and I try like hell not to have those that work for me sell on a customer spec driven situation. As in I need a 40 x 20 mill. The approach is just different. It is not about competing against the other supplier. It is about talking to the end user and offering what we believe is a good solution for their needs. Yes, we are competing for the customers attention but after that, it is not about competing spec to spec. Present your best solution and let the customer make their decision.

7. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The new name is obvious - RE-Doo-San

9. Likes 2outof3, Joe788, jid2 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WILLEO6709 View Post
    The new name is obvious - RE-Doo-San
    I like that but I think it is classier if you put the Redux on it for the REDO. REDUX-SON like when Coppola recut Apocalypse Now to Apocalypse now Redux. Make it sound more French.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While I like the hour longer version, we have a "re" near here.

At the corner of Albon Rd and Airport Hwy just outside of Toledo, there is a restaurant that had been named "Albon Inn" for many years. It was sold, apparently on land contract, and the new owners changed the name to .... ???? something else ...
    A cpl years later - and likely over the time of The Great Recession, apparently the old owners got it back. Regardless, the name changed to "Albon Inn Again".

It has recently been bought and changed yet again, but I would laugh at the name often when driving past.
    Just gotta love folks with simple humor..

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 02-03-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: " " to clarify the name inclusively.

12. Likes 2outof3, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a result of this thread, would you rate your likelihood of buying another Brother machine tool as

A) Higher
    B) Lower
    C) Unaffected
    D) All of the above.

I'd have a hard time choosing between A and D..

Lighten up. The mentality that because you work for a place and have a presence online that 100% of your online activities represent your employer is bogus. He works for a competitor. The situation is ridiculous. As a human, he's allowed to laugh at it.

He didn't send out a memo to his customer email list on Yamazen letterhead with Calvin urinating on a Korean flag or Doosan logo.. Then I'd DEFINITELY be buying another Brother.

14. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is starting to look as much fun as the Willy/Nicky telegrams.... Who gets to play France?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don'tsan is my vote......just kidding!

I work for a distributor that was a Doosan dealer before the Ellison switch. We were all pissed about the change to Ellison but that's business. Doosan was actually a really good company to represent. The people put into place to support the machines were all great people. Not sure what will change moving forward but the people that I worked with over the years were good dudes.
    Last edited by Berg-520; 02-10-2016 at 08:56 PM.

17. Likes LockNut liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    Paul,

I am not that important. I am not making news but discussing a real thing that is going on with your employer. Should I be quiet because the fact that Doosan's machine tool division is being sold may adversely affect your sales? I am not sorry I started this thread. I am sorry you took offense to it.

Andy
    Hi Andy,
    I also work for Doosan, but don't worry I'm not on the attack. I would ask though...If you aren't going to remain quiet, please have a little knowledge about what you post. Your understanding of the "facts" was fictional.

Doosan Infracore, the Korean mega-corporation that owned Doosan Machine Tool Division, as well as Ingersoll Rand, Bobcat Equipment, Doosan Heavy Industry, Doosan Forklifts, Doosan Engine...the list goes on...were in need of some capital. There solution was to sell an autonomous division. They did not sell a division that was loosing money, as they would not receive any profit for a crap-sale. Doosan Machine Tools has CONSISTENTLY been profitable to the corporation. In the last days of the first "preferred buyer", the buyer wanted to undercut the agreed-upon price. The new "preferred buyer" agreed with the asking price.

Would you sell your business to someone who wanted to short-change you, when there was another entity present that wanted to treat you fairly?

Doosan Machine Tools has seen many budgeted improvements occur, recently (after the purchase) to improve Doosan's Service and Support ability.

All activities occurring are to forward our technical abilities and improve our quality for our customers.

So please, defer from pointing out the rainclouds as ominous, when it actually allows growth and improvement.

...and stop spinning fiction as "fact".

19. Likes bloomautomatic, LockNut liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dhardt View Post
    Hi Andy,
    I also work for Doosan, but don't worry I'm not on the attack. I would ask though...If you aren't going to remain quiet, please have a little knowledge about what you post. Your understanding of the "facts" was fictional.

Doosan Infracore, the Korean mega-corporation that owned Doosan Machine Tool Division, as well as Ingersoll Rand, Bobcat Equipment, Doosan Heavy Industry, Doosan Forklifts, Doosan Engine...the list goes on...were in need of some capital. There solution was to sell an autonomous division. They did not sell a division that was loosing money, as they would not receive any profit for a crap-sale. Doosan Machine Tools has CONSISTENTLY been profitable to the corporation. In the last days of the first "preferred buyer", the buyer wanted to undercut the agreed-upon price. The new "preferred buyer" agreed with the asking price.

Would you sell your business to someone who wanted to short-change you, when there was another entity present that wanted to treat you fairly?

Doosan Machine Tools has seen many budgeted improvements occur, recently (after the purchase) to improve Doosan's Service and Support ability.

All activities occurring are to forward our technical abilities and improve our quality for our customers.

So please, defer from pointing out the rainclouds as ominous, when it actually allows growth and improvement.

...and stop spinning fiction as "fact".
    I have no problem with the facts.

The acquisition seems to have gone smoothly by what I read. MBK partners ended spending about $955mil and the company seems to be on strong footing. As I said earlier I was poking fun but at Doosan's expense. Not nice.

Now that the Ellison partnership is in full swing, you guys seem to have no clouds over your head. Just need to make your sales happen. Good luck.

21. Likes LockNut liked this post