What's new
What's new

Help using a Yasnac J300 with a Data Server/extended memory

DavidScott

Diamond
I have a Kitamura with a Yasnac J300 control, says i80. This control has a "Data Server" which is a module that takes a Compact Flash 2 card which is currently 256 megs. I can see it in the controls directory but I have no idea how to use it. I have talked with Yaskawa and Kitamura about this but still don't know much.

I have the Yasnac dnc-file server software loaded if it is needed, which Kitamura said I needed to load programs to it.

Any information at all would be appreciated.

Hi David Scott, IMO the compact flash 2 card poses 2 problems, how to write to it and how to read from it. If you can use that medium from your CAM system then proceed with trying to figure out the machine side.
I would try DNC to the RS232C port from a portable device like a Shop floor programming box using a USB stick. Any system can write to USB and the J300 should have at least 19200 baud. See how much it slows the machine down while DNC'ing.
Best regards, David Hartley

Baud only goes up to 9600 on mine, must be an early version, 2001 build? I have the info on what parameters to set to get the baud higher but it didn't make any difference. My RS232 cable is only 25' long so no need change that form of communication. The Yasnac Ethernet software sounds good from what information I have of it in my Kitamura users manual, I just can't find enough information about setting it up. I have been through every J300 related manual on Yaskawa's web site but there is NO information about this. I will be calling Yaskawa again this comming week to see if I can't pry any more info out of them.

By the way the version 1.1 dnc-file server software from 1997 seems to be working fine on my Win7 64 computer.

We have a couple of J300 Mastsuuras with Ethernet. We have been unsuccessful using the Ethernet with anything newer than Windows XP. Our shop has a network with an xp server so we can continue to use the Ethernet connection because our programs are to big for rs232 transmission and drip feeding was too slow for smooth operation.

Interesting thread, we have several i80's and j300's all use rs232c for download or drip feeding. Ethernet would be the way to go if you have the port, that is where the dnc software would be used that Kitty supplied. The CF cards are like a memory extension so if you can see that as a choice I would try loading a program onto the card and see if it will load. Fanuc has a few parameter changes needed and I would expect the yasnac to be similar.
But as you said there is no info about these options in the online docs I can find.

I might be able to help, if needed.

If XP works, its 99,x% likely, any windows will work.

In win7, they changed, for no reason, any nr of things, that make older stuff hard(er) to connect.
Ports, permission, protocols, default settings for encryption(s), type of encryption, etc etc etc.
They can be modified at the win(x) end.

We have a couple of J300 Mastsuuras with Ethernet. We have been unsuccessful using the Ethernet with anything newer than Windows XP. Our shop has a network with an xp server so we can continue to use the Ethernet connection because our programs are to big for rs232 transmission and drip feeding was too slow for smooth operation.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your replies. I have spent the week replacing our water heater and all hot water plumbing in our house so no time for anything else. So glad to get rid of all the uninsulated galvanized pipe for insulated PEX, oh what a difference it makes.

I called Yaskawa to see what I could get out of them and they sent me 3 technical documents that are not on the web, anywhere. Two of them look like they apply to my needs. One is Large Capacity Memory Function, Technical Information No. 00028, dealing with the expanded memory and the other is FTP Client Data Input/Output Functions, Technical Information No. 98002. Beyond this the tech didn't know anything. They make the stuff but it is up to the MTB to implement it and support what they did with it, and Kitamura has NO information on this, bummer.

What I do know is that I have the correct hardware for both the expanded memory and ethernet. The ethernet board port is cabled to a D-sub 15pin AUI port on the side of the door. I always wondered what the port was for and now I know. I will have to make a cable to go from this port to the ethernet port on my computer. Once I do this the PC OS and Software needed is Windows NT 4.0, 95 OSR2, or 95, and for the FTP Server Microsoft Peer Web Server or Personal Web Server.

When I make my cable should I just start with a Cat5 patch cable and cut one end off to attach the D-sub 15pin connector? Or maybe I should replace the cable between the control module and the door? That way I could just use a standard Cat5 patch cable. I have the connectors needed to do this and some serial cable if it will work, or do I need Cat5 or Cat6 data cable? Yeah, I really don't know what I am doing.

I have to call Yaskawa back to get the pinout on their board level connector to figure out what wires go where.

I still have an old XP computer if I need it.

1. Get the ethernet working with xp first.
2. Then debug/change the setting on win7/8 whatever.

Any windows will work .. but its hard, and beyond explaining in a forum.
Windows is difficult, beyong belief, when it needs to be done right.

Having once upon a time built and supported environments with 140 corporates, 400 routers, 13.000 pcs simultaneously online, in 5+ countries, with 99.x% uptime, for all users, 24x7.

Dumb question probably but can I connect directly to the computer from the mill or do I need a router between them? I have studied up fairly well on serial communications, time to do the same for Ethernet.

I was running a cat5 cable from a port on the control right to the pc. No router needed. Now that we have a network set up, we go through a router. For what it is worth, I used a regular Ethernet cable in both circumstances. On my heidenhain, I need a crossover cable direct to a pc, but a regular Ethernet cable to a router.

Thanks for the photos. That looks like the cable isn't original equipment and what is the box it plugs into? I looked the company up but none of my searches for the model # I was guessing it was turned up anything. The photo compression is too much. Any idea if your shop purchased both the cable and box separately? If so where?

I have a request in with Yaskawa to find out the pinout on the cn5 port of the JANCD-JIF03-2 Ethernet board. The Yaskawa tech couldn't find this info in his system so he was going to see if Japan had it.

Is there any chance I could get a photo of where the CN02 cable that plugs into the JCP01B board plugs in on the other end? I believe it plugs into the JANCD F861 I/O board. This cable is missing on my mill and it is needed to get the db25 port useable on the pendant. The previous owner removed it and plugged their serial cable directly into the JCP01B board.

Here is a photo of what mine looks like.

I am sorry to ask all of these questions but this information is not available in any of the Yaskawa manuals or any of my Kitamura infomation.

con2.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

I believe that was either from methods or yaskawa. That was hooked up right when I started on the CNC. This control is the last version of the J300 and has the largest memory and most look-ahead. I don't know if the earlier versions or kitamura were different.

Thank you. That photo of your transceiver my just be the golden key. It has a DB15 plug on one end so maybe the pinout is correct for my current cable, for $40 it is worth a try. No rush on the other pics. It would just be nice to be able to use the port on the front of the machine, but what I have now is working.

Interesting, that is RS232 port 1 on my machine. It plugs in right above CN01 on mine. Thank you for all of your help.

Your transceiver seems pretty old and I have been wondering if it may be the reason you can't use a newer operating system than XP. If I find anything out I will let you know.

HON and HOF are the codes for high speed machining on the J300. That is if it has the most advanced high speed capability with the most look ahead. If it has the lesser version, I think it uses GON and GOF. With the HON, the control works surprisingly well for a 15-20 year old control.

The reason I asked is because of the JCP05. I believe that is only present on the controls with high speed machining.

Back