What's new
What's new

Hermann Schmidt Edge Finders

Dcrouch

Cast Iron
After I spun up my my Hermann Schmidt edge finder at 8000 RPM, I went to the website to purchase another. I couldn't find it on their site so I dropped them an email. Here's the answer I didn't want to get:

"Dana

We no longer manufacture edge finders, nor have any inventory.

Regards,

Pete Schmidt"

Now, can someone point me towards one just as good?

The only advise I can give is to do a saved searched on Ebay. I have a few set up so I get emails when something matches my saved search comes up.

Just get a Starrett edge finder. The only reason people think Hermann Shimidt edge finders are better is because they cost more and say Hermann Schmidt on the side. :rolleyes5:

Just get a Starrett edge finder. The only reason people think Hermann Shimidt edge finders are better is because they cost more and say Hermann Schmidt on the side. :rolleyes5:

Geez John, we're going to start all this up again-

Having used both the Starrett and Hermann Schmidt edge finders, the HS ones do kick out more consistently and I prefer them over the Starretts.

There are clear reasons for this. The HS edge finder has a 3/8" shank, but the body is larger (.550") in the split contact area. That design difference in combination with the very nice grinding on the split surfaces on the HS units is what causes them to work a little better than the Starretts and for me it was definitely worth the extra $20. bucks or so for a tool I use several times a day.

Too bad the guy making them passed away, they were a nice piece. The Starretts are ok, definitely better than the cheapo import ones but best I can tell they are also made overseas.

Paul T.
Power Technology

Geez John, we're going to start all this up again-

Having used both the Starrett and Hermann Schmidt edge finders, the HS ones do kick out more consistently and I prefer them over the Starretts.

No they don't. There's no difference.

How about someone with a video camera make a program and run both brands so we can see the results.
Z down, feed into workpiece at several differant feedrates, repeat.

I have a HS edge finder and also a Fisher Machine Big Jump. The Fisher is very good and similar in design to the HS. I would recommend the FM Big Jump as your best alternative.

Ladeez n gennelmen!

Round Two

ding ding ;)

More like round 4.

I'm in any time Fanuc or Herman Shit edge finders are being discussed. :cheers:

Im pretty sure HS edge finders became even better once they stopped making them. Too bad the old guy died who was the only one who knew how to make such a complex device. He knew the black art of edge finder manufacturing. All we can do now is hatchet machining with the totally inferior Starrett. :bawling::bawling:

Ok, so help me God, this is the last post I will ever make on the difference between an HS edge finder and a Starrett one.

John, to use your kind of words, how can you be such a dumb fuck?

The main and very obvious difference between the HS edge finder and the Starrett one is the same feature used on the Fisher Big Jump edge finder, take a look at:

Edge Finder Fisher Machine Welcome to our site. All of our tools are made by us in the USA.Feel free to search our database. Call us if you need help.

The larger body diameter and surface area of the split section on the HS and Big Fisher units compared to the Starrett units make the jump more pronounced and thus more repeatable. Its pretty simple to understand- the larger the diameter of the split section, the more body movement will occur when its aligned with the edge.

In addition the HS unit was ground more accurately than the Starrett ones.

This makes them work a little better than the Starrett units. For some reason this bugs the shit out of you and why that is I don't quite understand, perhaps the old man that made them peeded on your shoe once, I guess we'll never know, I hope you didn't get so pissed off at him that you bumped him off.

Paul,
You will find the ignore list feature of this forum to do wonders for your frame of mind. Some people just like to try to get you going. Do yourself a favor and put them on your ignore list. I did it months ago. Everyone's entiltled to their opinion, whether it's well founded or not, but you don't have to listen to it if you choose not to. Don't be dragged down to their level.

John, to use your kind of words, how can you be such a dumb fuck?

I almost spit a mouthful of coffee across my monitor. That is the absolute best reply to a John Weldon post that has ever been posted in PM history!!! :D (Maybe in the History of the Web)

Bigger body makes it better? So buy the half inch Starrett. There you go, problem solved. :rolleyes5:

But, you're full of shit. I can set a cnc to .0001 increments and have a Starrett kick out every time at one or two clicks. The Herman Shit is no better than that and even if it was, who gives a fuck, it's still a stupid edge finder. Maybe you should argue that your tape measure is more accurate than mine. :rolleyes5:

I'm sorry your ego is hurt by me pointing out that your elite edge finder is no better than a Starrett. You're probably one of those machinists that has to buy top of the line everything to compensate for your lack of skill. "Hey everybody, I've got a HS edge finder, I really must know what I'm doing." :rolleyes5:

Paul,
You will find the ignore list feature of this forum to do wonders for your frame of mind. Some people just like to try to get you going. Do yourself a favor and put them on your ignore list. I did it months ago. Everyone's entiltled to their opinion, whether it's well founded or not, but you don't have to listen to it if you choose not to. Don't be dragged down to their level.

RJT, thanks for the suggestion but its all good, my old buddy John is just a hard head on some topics.

But his comment the other day along the lines of preferring to get hit in the face with a cinder block over having to use a Fanuc controller actually cracked me up so it all evens out.

This message is hidden because John Welden is on your ignore list.
Don't feed the troll.

BTW, it think it's the carefully lapped mating surfaces on the HS finder compared to the ground finish on the others that make it snap so nicely. The big diameter makes it jump farther, for a multiplied effect.

After pondering it for a while, I think I figured out what happened.

John was doing a setup with an "unmentionable" edge finder in his spindle and accidentally hit the wrong button on his Fanuc controller, causing it to zing up to 10,000 RPM.

The "unmentionable" edge finder exploded, ricocheted off a back wall and firmly inserted itself in a very sensitive orifice, playing a big role in forming the personality traits and opinions that we all now know so well.

After pondering it for a while, I think I figured out what happened.

John was doing a setup with an "unmentionable" edge finder in his spindle and accidentally hit the wrong button on his Fanuc controller, causing it to zing up to 10,000 RPM.

The "unmentionable" edge finder exploded, ricocheted off a back wall and firmly inserted itself in a very sensitive orifice, playing a big role in forming the personality traits and opinions that we all now know so well.

That's exactly what happened.

Back