What's new
What's new

High Feed Cutter Selection Help.

msayani2

Plastic
We are looking into high feed cutters for our CNC mills.

Just wanted to get feedback from guys who have experience with atleast 2 or all 3 of these brands.

1. Dijet SKS (3 edge insert type)
2. Sandvik R419 [ R210 takes up too much power in some machines and is harsh in our experience ]
3. Walter F4030

We mostly cut AISI 4140 80ksi or 4330V (30Hrc). Machines vary from 40 taper to 50 taper machines.. will put 1.5" or 2" cutters in the 40 taper and 2.5 or 3" cutters in the 50 taper machines.

Need to select one of the 3 above.

Thanks.

What's the application? Facing? Pocketing? Slotting? Helical boring?

Facing is generally easiest on tooling, as there's no shoulder rubbing. Most are about the same in this application with no noticeable standouts.

Deep pocketing and slotting is where you see a lot of separation between the brands and models. In some cases, a 2-3X tool life difference, all else equal.

I've used a double-sided triangular insert cutter from a brand not in your list for deep pocketing work. The first three edges would do okay, but after flipping the insert, the next three edges would fair poorly. Apparently, the chips and/or shoulder rubbing would prematurely wear the 2nd side while running the 1st side, thus rendering the 2nd side virtually worthless.

It is mostly for pocket milling and helical interpolation roughing.

If you feel there are better options, let me know.
Walter has the single sided insert cutter f2330 and i was avoiding it as the cost per edge is high compared to F4030

Bump.

Found that the R419 and Walter have same performance.

Finished the job before I could try the dijet.

Anyone checked Dijet vs Sandvik R419 or walter's high feed performance? Also any idea how this compares to the Kyocera MFH Raptor in terms of tool life and vibration?

Application is pocketing/helical interpolation work for high alloy steels.

We are looking into high feed cutters for our CNC mills.

Just wanted to get feedback from guys who have experience with atleast 2 or all 3 of these brands.

1. Dijet SKS (3 edge insert type)
2. Sandvik R419 [ R210 takes up too much power in some machines and is harsh in our experience ]
3. Walter F4030

We mostly cut AISI 4140 80ksi or 4330V (30Hrc). Machines vary from 40 taper to 50 taper machines.. will put 1.5" or 2" cutters in the 40 taper and 2.5 or 3" cutters in the 50 taper machines.

Need to select one of the 3 above.

Thanks.

1) there is a mathematical relationship between cubic inches per minute turned into chips and horsepower. obviously if you create 10x more chips it uses 10x more power give or take.
2) if you have bigger and thicker inserts you can create thicker chips. in general if you make chips 2x thick it takes less than 2x more horsepower. that is there is a efficiency gain if you do not shred the metal into as thin of a chip
3) there is a mathematical relationship between tool stickout length and tool deflection. if a tool is sticking out 2x more it deflects 2x2x2=8 times more. 3x longer stickout its 27 times more deflection
4) using a wavy tooth roughing cutter it is less of a wack wack and a longer more smoother power transmission making chips. thus why wavy flute roughing mills are more power efficent. you use a 2nd mill of a finishing type to remove a small amount for a better finish

I have several of the Tungaloy DO feed mills in an okuma genos

I particularly like how well the small cutter (5/8) has held up. FOr some reason the Mitsubishi AJX we have (.750) was very prone to destroying itself when it broke an insert. The Tungaloy inserts are quite thick, come in two sizes and are 2 sided. 4 cutting edges in nice.

Also seem to be less noisy when the cutter isn't fully engaged in the cut vs the trigon mitsu inserts.

Back