What's new
What's new

High Feed Endmill Recommendation?

Philabuster

Diamond
I would like to purchase a high feed endmill for our Mazak Integrex. I would likely be using it mainly to circular interpolate large holes in 1018 and 316ss. I have never used a high feed mill, so I definitely need some guidance as to who makes a good product.

I had a R&D job today that involved boring four 2.5" holes in the side of a chunk of 1018 along with other features. I ended up drilling it with a 1.75" drill and then used the same drill like a high feed mill to bore the holes out to size. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

I would like something in the 1.250" to 1.500" OD range with a 1.250" straight shank--no Weldon flats.

I've been perusing the MSC catalog as that is our company's preferred tooling supplier (:rolleyes5:).

Looking at SECO tools on MSC catalog for example, there seems to be about a dozen different grade of inserts for the same holder. No clue what would be appropriate. I'm not locked into SECO, but we use their inserted endmill holders on a few jobs and they hold up. SECO's website was not helpful.

I really do not want to go through the hassle :bawling: of trying to get a rep in here. Rather, I just need someone (Jashley73?) to point at the catalog and tell me what brand of holder and grade of insert to buy, based on their experience.

Thanks. :cheers:

I've used the Sandvik R419 on a big job that was 4340PHT. No issues, it runs like a champ.
Similar to this one, I don't have the exact # of the one we have currently.
A419-38O32-14M

Iscar makes nice one, I've used it for a job we do in 304 that's has around 500 small pockets in it. We use a 3/4" but I'm positive they have bigger Mills.

R

Thanks for the help guys. For simplicity sake, I need to order something available from MSC. Yeah, I know.

I need a 1.25" straight shank with no Weldon flats. I'm leaning towards the SECO because the MSC catalog shows it has no Weldon flat and also lists the inserts I need with it. To make things easier, I'm just going to order the same grade of insert for the high feed mill as the cutter we are already using.

This is the one I have, Sandvik R210
with shell mill style adapter. I run a short stubby shank and a 6" gage length shank works great in 304 ss
36.7mm Cutting Diameter, 1.2mm Max Depth of 52875754 - MSC
It says square shoulder on MSC site but its a high feed type, easier to look them up on sandvik site and then search number on MSC. MSC calls it a 36.7mm but its actually a 2" overall.

Hogging out some stainless - YouTube
2" Sandvik 21 high feed mill 34 ss - YouTube
Id have to think a mazak could make a smaller version purr right along alot better than my Haas can.

I'm sure the Seco is a good tool. I'm partial to Kennametal....also very good

Search MSC for 4109582 & 4034882

Thanks for the info. I am ordering this Sandvik tool along with the SECO tool I found earlier.
Got the tools. MSC shipped the SECO tool quickly and finally got the Sandvik tool that was drop shipped by Sandvik.

I have not used either tool yet, but I have to say the Sandvik tool looks absolutely vicious just sitting there. :cool:

The Sandvik tool will likely have an edge up on the SECO tool due to 3 inserts vs 2 inserts. SECO is 1.250" in diameter vs Sandvik at 1.500" diameter.

I'll report back to this thread when I get some time on both tools. No idea when that will be though.

Last edited:

Back