What's new
What's new

High feed milling suggestions

cnczack

Aluminum
We are looking into getting some high feed tooling. The last place I worked we used AJX by Mitsubishi and it was by far my favorite that ive got to use. However the tool rep we have locally isnt reliable so im looking for some suggestions on maybe some thing comparable and indexable. Something that can handle a variety of material and uses. Anyone have a line of HF mills that they like?

I would find another distributor for mitsubishi. They are my favorite, also. If not, check out Tungaloy. They are also very good.

I run mostly Tungaloy dofeed quad with 8 edges and Walter with 6edges for 1" and over and Kyocera LOGU inserts for 1" and under

Ive not heard of either one, are either sister companies of any bigger name or are they both individual companies?

Ive not heard of either one, are either sister companies of any bigger name or are they both individual companies?

Tungaloy is a pretty big company that was out of Japan but is now part of the Warren Buffett IMC empire :ack2: They are good tools that you see used a lot on mass production.

Walter is another high end big name, that I think is owned by Sandvik

Not sure about Kyocera either but they are pretty well known. I've yet to run anything that touches their 3/4" LOGU tool for what I do

Tungaloy is a pretty big company that was out of Japan but is now part of the Warren Buffett IMC empire :ack2: They are good tools that you see used a lot on mass production.

Walter is another high end big name.

Not sure about Kyocera either but they are pretty well known. I've yet to run anything that touches their 3/4" LOGU tool for what I do

I like that you seem to have a range of bigger and smaller HF mills. Most people ive talked to only have the bigger ones and for what we do we seem to need a variety. Ill check out the walter as well. Our main tool distributor seems to have a range of companies they work through.

That is a 5/8" Kennametal Stellram with a carbide shank. It's good for long reaches but the inserts can't be pushed like the Kyocera even when they are put on a short shank.

Yes that's an Edge Precision Anvil :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210318-110338_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210318-110338_Video Player.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 240
Seco has small (1/8") solid carbide high feeds (Niagara) all the way up to at least 3" inserted. I've used the 5/8" to 2" inserted and they are fantastic. I have also used the 1/8" and 1/2" solid carbides and they work great and last forever.

We use mostly Mits AJX and some Sandvik R210.

Mitsubishi has been doing their free cutter (with purchase of inserts) promo for 7 years running now. I particularly like them for smaller diameters 5/8 thru 1-1/2.

We really like the Mitsubishi AJX line also. The thing we don't like about the 1" and small bodies is they are a 2 insert design and are way noisy. So for smaller diameters we run this one from Iscar & have had great luck with it:

https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.aspx?cat=3336662&fnum=4291&mapp=ML&app=65&pageType=4&rel=T

I agree, I didnt like any of the smaller ones. They did give us a lot of different bodies at my last job and for some reason we kept picking up smaller ones because "we had too many of the larger ones" but i could never keep them from chattering lol.

Have you used iscars bigger hf mills?

The AJX really shook up the industry, but it's pretty old tech now.

Honestly, Seco & Ingersoll are leading right now. Ingersoll probably has a bigger lineup on indexables, but Seco has a solid lineup as well. Seco/Niagara however have the solid carbide high-feeds as well. So Seco can supply 2mm up to 200mm high-feed cutters.

I used to work for Seco, so I know their lineup really well.

Iscar also has some good high-feed cutters. Their H600 is a beast, and we use it in production now.

In 2021, stay away from inserts with square inserts. They usually aren't very free-cutting, and really hammer on machines & spindles. Try to look for something with a curved cutting edge, as they tend to ease into & out of the cut, therefore, making for a smoother cutting tool. Most trigon & rectangular high-feed inserts will have a nicely formed, smooth-cutting edge.

Give us a few more details. 40 taper, or 50 taper? Need mega-ramping, or not really. Doing 3D/drafted walls, or just facing & 2D contouring...

We have an iscar high feed milling cutter and it's pretty good. Don't remember the name (trademarked name) but it does work.

We received a request for a demo cut on one of our machines. We received material and cutting tools. In the tool list I saw a callout for a 1MM (yes, 1 millimeter) high feed mill. I thought I was seeing things. I checked the box of tools and sure enough, an Iscar 1MM HF mill was in the box. I forget now what the speeds and feeds were but they were up there. I do remember the .005 DOC. I think the feed was around 80IPM. But, damned if that little sucker didn't last and finish the part in 304 stainless plate, .080 deep pockets.

Paul

I wish I could show running a 1/8" Niagara/Seco but I've got an NDA in place on that part. As long as you don't violate the 0.008" DOC they just don't seem to wear.

We are looking into getting some high feed tooling. The last place I worked we used AJX by Mitsubishi and it was by far my favorite that ive got to use. However the tool rep we have locally isnt reliable so im looking for some suggestions on maybe some thing comparable and indexable. Something that can handle a variety of material and uses. Anyone have a line of HF mills that they like?

what are your expectations, machine, setup and overall rigidity?

what size tool do you need? material using? budget?

i can help you out with an Ingersoll item but i need more information

thanks.

I wish I could show running a 1/8" Niagara/Seco but I've got an NDA in place on that part. As long as you don't violate the 0.008" DOC they just don't seem to wear.

That’s good to hear. There’s a lot of discussion on bigger cutters but not much on smaller ones. I bought a 1/4” one a while back but haven’t used it yet. I ordered it for a job but couldn’t wait had to finish it using a different cutter. I really find it hard to believe it’ll hold up.

Back