What's new
What's new

Hit Cycle Stop during tapping machine is locked. Any ideas?

Jaxian

Stainless
Fanuc 0i-MF Doosan DNM5700. Was test running a program. It had just finished tapping (I thought) and I hit the "cycle stop" button so I could hit reset and go make some changes to the code.

Guess it wasn't done the tapping cycle. It threw a 2069 X axis interlock, 2070 Y axis interlock, 2071 Z axis interlock and 2001 EMG. button or axes emergency stop.. error. Machine is locked.

Tried to hit reset. Tried turning it off, both control and main power. Tried starting while holding P and Cancel. Nothing will make it respond. All the information I can find online talk about moving manually. None of this works. The Ready button does nothing. Hitting any of the Jog, Handle, etc buttons does nothing. Only the ToolMag button works, and it immediately says "Put in Jog Mode". Since I can't it also does nothing.

This is a ridiculous amount of grief for hitting cycle stop.

I have a job I need to get done. How do I reset this thing? It was not doing a toolchange or anything like that it was about an inch above the part retracting after a tapping move.

Thanks for any help guys.

Hi try jog mode then tap retract/recovery if you have that function.
You may need power up reset first

Also check out this video
Tap Recovery – Know Your Doosan, Episode 4 - YouTube
Doosan tap retract info on youtube

Good luck, let us know how it goes
This happened to me last week on the same machine and controller
This worked out well for me hopefully it will be ok, good luck
If the problem persists tommorow call Doosan in pine brook nj
Ask for application engineering and they can help
Steve

That is a great video but unfortunately I have already powered it off as it was sitting there stalled for hours. Then I was trying to reset it.

So according to him I have now lost synchronization with my spindle. Of course none of this came up on the error messages or anything saying not to turn it off or to refer to the manual on how to recover or anything.

I hope this doesn't require a service call. Ellison charges for drive time and minimum one hour so even if the tech just has to walk in hit a button and leave I am out $525. This is very frustrating. Thanks for the link.

I think it will not matter that you lost sync to the spindle as you are out of the part. The reason you want to maintain the spindle sync is if the tap is in the part, so the retract is synchronized but you are above the part, so you probably are ok but I'm not sure.

I think you want to reset the alarm now more than get a retract with sync to the spindle. If you were in the part with the tap the spindle sync would be more critical.

So I think you should try the sequence, and doosan will walk you through any other steps needed if you are in another error state due to the power cycle and the sequence does not work. Paul Anderson of Doosan can definitely help he is in nj at the pine brook location I think this happens on occasion you are not the first person to get into this state I am sure, it should be better documented and the video probably should have covered what to do if power was cycled, I did find the sequence in the manual based on the error code I saw. I will check in with you in the morning I am on east coast time. Paul usually sees doosan questions here, but I will email paul in the morning and let him know that you need help.

I think it will be easy, but please let us know how it goes.
They will be able to help you at doosan for sure if you need more information.

I would hit the green reset, go to jog, and tap retract

I found the method worked from using the manual.
I just threw in the video link to give more info.

I don't think you need a service visit, did you try it?
Also tech support is free from doosan
This should be able to be reset without a paid service visit.
Don't worry I guarantee you will be fine tomorrow once you try the sequence or get input from Paul or another app engineer at Doosan if it doesn't work due to the power cycle.
You should have paul on speed dial he is a great resource and always very interested in helping you. I will pm you his phone number and email address in the morning.
- Steve

I used to be Training Coordinator and Applications Engineer for Doosan.

Place machine in "Jog"
Doors closed.
Press "tap retract" button on panel.
tap will back out.

Re-home machine.

-Doug

When a rigid tapping cycle is programmed, the speed and feed are placed in parameters for the tap retract function to work. OK, since you shut the machine off, all parameters are cleared and tap retract will not work. Here is how to fix it. Remove the part and tap, unfortunately. Change KEEP RELAY 75.0 to a 0. This disables tap retract function temporarily. Read below. In some instances, the rigid tapping light will keep flashing once the keep relay is set back to 1. Pressing it will finish the cycle and clear all alarms.

Keep relay 75.0 being set to “zero” disables the tap retract function. A small program that contained a single tapping cycle.was run from memory immediately after changing the keep relay to “zero” was enough to set the machine back to its proper state. Also, by running this small program, it reset the keep relay 75.0 back to its original “one” state automatically. The machine is now back to normal and working properly.

Sample Program:
G00G90G80G17
G0G91G28Z0.0
G90G59X0.0Y0.0
G0G43H2Z.5
M29S600
G95
G84Z-.5R.10F.05 (ANY VALID FEED WILL WORK HERE)
G80G94
G0Z2.0
G91G28Z0.0
G90
M5
M30

LockNut is most correct.

Exercise extreme care changing Keeper relays and parameters, and make sure you DOCUMENT what you've changed BEFORE you change it. Many an hour I had to spend on the phone with someone who made an error there.

Also, tapping in G95 IPR mode enables a safer tapping cycle as, if you would like to increase/decrease spindle speed all you have to change is the "S" command on the M29 line, and the thread lead automatically follows. It's also generating a more accurate thread lead as the control is electronically synched with the spindle. In G94 IPM mode you would have to alter the thread lead "F" command as well or troubles will result.

Hey guys. I called Paul a bit ago and left a message.

So I did set KeepRelay 75.0 to 0 which cleared the alarms. To do this I had to Enable parameter write. I set the KeepRelay 75.0 back to 1 and got out of the System area.

I still had the alarm SW0100:Parameter Enable Switch On as you would expect. I went in and set that back to Disable.

This is were I am stuck. Even with write Disabled the alarm doesn't go away. Also the big green Ready button still does nothing so I can't run that program he wrote there. All the modes are still locked. Can't get into Jog, Mem, Edit, MDI, etc. All are still frozen so I am in the same spot but with a different alarm message.

I assume there is some setting that will allow it to go Machine Ready again and all those functions will come back. Not certain what that is though.

When i read locknut's post, he said to run a simple program that had g84 in it while k75.0 was set to 0. Did you do that? It read like you just toggled it off, hit reset, then toggled it back on.

Edit: i only just saw that you said you tried to run the program but it won't let you. disregard what i said.

I recall someone here said they liked to go around trade shows and hit E-Stop during a toolchange to see how long it took them to recover. Sounds like doing it during tapping would be a good test as well.

I would suggest putting that keeper relay back where it was.
There's a blue book in the back cabinet of the machine that lists Keepers - make sure that keeper is the right one..

I recall someone here said they liked to go around trade shows and hit E-Stop during a toolchange to see how long it took them to recover. Sounds like doing it during tapping would be a good test as well.

I would not do that at a trade show but every private machine demo I was given had an unexpected e-stop done while tool changing. It really helped separate the men from the boys. More than one demo ended right there. Other times, the machine was back running in a few minutes. Gave me a pretty good idea of how well written the builder's ladder was and the skill level of the folks that were probably going be doing the training if I bought their machine.

The routine described by Locknut seems far more complicated than it should be to recover from a failed tapping cycle. Power outages happen. If recovery from an aborted tap cycle either by feed hold or inadvertent/accidental power off needed PMC parameters altered and a "dummy program" executed, that machine would be scratched off the list of contenders.

Machine was back up and running this afternoon using Locknut's instructions above. I did talk to him on the phone a few times as I was kind of clueless on where things all were.

So apparently to avoid the hassle of downtime if someone hit's E-Stop or Cycle Stop while it is in a tapping cycle as Locknut says it writes the tapping data to a parameter. So as long as you don't turn it off all you have to do is switch to Jog mode and hit the flashing Tap Retract button. That simple to recover no grief at all.

The only issue is I had no idea it did that. It wasn't in the training Ellison gave me or anyplace obvious. So when it hung up I did what I do anytime my Fanuc controls get buggy. I just restarted it. Honestly this has fixed weird behavior more time that I can count. Issue is of course when I power cycled it I lost the values that had been written to that parameter. Also it set a bunch of Interlock alarms.

So by just changing the KeepRelay 75.0 it wiped out the alarm messages and set it in a ready for tapping data state. The program above is just a tapping cycle to put the data all back in line and let the parameters and everything reset to a zero point.

If you know not to power down you are up in 30 seconds. If you know to do the other procedure if you do power down it takes like 5 minutes. If you don't know any of that you post online and spend hours trying to figure it out like I did. It would be nice if stuff like that was really obvious in the Operators Manual. Like a heading the contents that says "What to do if you tapping cycle is interrupted" then like a page. But machine manuals never seem to be written in a coherent fashion. Hopefully this thread helps someone out if they do the same and Search for help.

So in the end we got it up and running and I was making parts for the last 10 hours straight since then to catch up. Total count making these parts was 480 2-56 holes in steel and not one broken tap or issue. I am up to nearly 900 holes tapped on that 2-56 tap. I swear it is going in the hall of fame.

Thanks Locknut (Paul) for all the help and putting up with my dumb questions of where things were through a couple phone calls.

You are welcome Jaxian, glad to be of help.

As for hitting E-Stop during a tool change. Or EOP software has a tool change recovery app. People want to test it all the time. I had one guy ask for a tool change and when I did one, he reached over and hit E-Stop without saying anything. He thought he had me, LOL. OK, I was pissed but didn't say anything. I went to the EOP after turning on the hydraulics again. I then pressed the single cycle tool recovery button and the machine finished up the tool change without a hiccup. The software is written with prompts and won't allow you to do anything out of sequence and tells you what the next step should be. If it was E-Stopped because of a real fault, the longest time I saw was about ten minutes to recover by single stepping with the soft keys. There is also a sensor check app that will let you see the status of all the limit and/or prox switches on the machine. Between that and the tool change recovery, it is much easier now to troubleshoot.

But, that guy was lucky he didn't do that in my shop on my machine.

I think the amount of support was fantastic.

Here is my question. What happens if the power goes out? Same procedure or more involved?

With a power outage you will loose the parameters. You don't have to use the program I provided, just do any tap cycle in the air after turning off the keep relay for rigid tapping. After running a tap cycle, restore the keep relay. The rigid tap alarm will come up again and the light will blink. Go to JOG, press the tap retract button and it will clear.

I would not do that at a trade show but every private machine demo I was given had an unexpected e-stop done while tool changing. It really helped separate the men from the boys. More than one demo ended right there. Other times, the machine was back running in a few minutes. Gave me a pretty good idea of how well written the builder's ladder was and the skill level of the folks that were probably going be doing the training if I bought their machine.

The routine described by Locknut seems far more complicated than it should be to recover from a failed tapping cycle. Power outages happen. If recovery from an aborted tap cycle either by feed hold or inadvertent/accidental power off needed PMC parameters altered and a "dummy program" executed, that machine would be scratched off the list of contenders.

Vanc,
I agree with you. But, yeah there is a but, the procedure is dead simple if no power off for whatever reason. I know you know your way around a Fanuc control. What other choice would you suggest in case of a power down? How would you suggest keeping the parameters valid so that the tap retract would work under any circumstance?

Back