What's new
What's new

Hitachi Seiki CNC Lathe control does not start up

HTP Machine

Plastic
Cold outside and cold in shop, went to start Hitachi Seiki CNC Lathe and control panel does not start when I push the green start button. Machine ran just fine last night. I don’t keep my shop heated over night. Any ideas what could be wrong ?

Need more information, like the control brand and generation. I would start with looking for tripped breakers and blown fuses, then check the power supply out put for all voltages.

Try taking a hair dryer and warm up the motherboard and try powering up the control, if this doesn't work try warming up other part's in the electrical cabinet until you find the spot that let's the control start up.
Once you have found the area that needs to be warmed up in order for the control to fire up, take a closer look at all the capacitors on that circuit board, after yrs the capacitors begin to dry out and don't take the cold so well.
I have resolered capacitors on old fanuc controls that would on fire up if heated with a hair dryer, these same control's ran like new afterwards.

I checked all fuses and breakers and all are good, there is no power going to the power supply board by the motherboard and no power to the power supply board underneath the monitor.

The two Fanucs I have while later generations have two power supplies. The black box made of circuit boards and a smaller one in a small looking metal cage that is similar in size to a personal computer power supply. Sometimes the PC sized one is in a strange place. On one of the machines the PC style one frequently blew fuses when the power fluttered during storms. The fuses were inside and soldered in place. It left the machine totally dead.

Found problem sorry so late to update. The ribbon cable in monitor cabinet that runs from keyboard to back of cabinet to board had a bad worn spot where it had been laying across a metal frame in the cabinet. I replaced the 50 pin ribbon cable and now machine is running again.

Back