What's new
What's new

Hitachi Seiki VS50. Spindle power load time and some questions

evidence_UA

Aluminum
Hi,

looking for a purchasing a Hitachi Seiki VS50 and have some questions after reading the specification manual:

1. How do i interpretate the spindle power load time? It says - 11kW for 10 minutes, 7,5 for 30 minutes and 5.5 kW for continous use. Yes, i understarnd that there might be some heating issues etc, but can i assume that 11kW is 100% in spindle load monitor and 5,5kW - 50% of load? So i can make chips on 100% of load in 10 minutes of time and then i must decrease feedrate to fit the 50% ? We usually do not operate on the loads higher than 50-60% for a continous cutting so the above question is just for me to get clear on that.
But if i want to operate on 100% of load, for example, on a high volume production run with a minimum cutting time on one part. Suppose, we have an aluminum parts, where it takes 3-5minutes for roughing on 100% of load, then the same time for finishing, drilling etc with less than 50% of load. But we have 1000 parts, so i will have 100% of load every 5 minuts or less. How do i know when thats enough for spindle?:) Or it will come with an error?

2. Can anyone tell me the approximate size of linear guideways and ballscrew? Because from what i see from photos, they are significantly smaller\thinner than on my VK45-2 and i do not want that to be an issue for rigidity. Or maybe the photo makes some distortion...

3. What does it mean "closed loop XY"?

4. Do i need to change the spindle coolant periodically? Or if it has an appropriate level, its better not to "go" there?

Thanks!

1. Can't really help you here as even when we are doing very high metal removal rates we are only around 30% on the spindle. I like to run a 1/2" mill for most of my roughing with high feed tool paths and 30% load is around the sweet spot.

2. The linear rails are 45mm and the ball screw is 50mm on our VS50

3. Not sure. what are they talking about when saying closed loop?

4. we don't have to change the coolant in ours we just top up when needed. once every couple years we might empty the coolant to shovel out any chips that got past the screen and ozonate the coolant. The linear guides don't circulate way oil so we don't have any tramp oil in the coolant.

Thank you very much!

Concerning Closed Loop - it goes from an Optional features section, i have attached the photo:

Concerning spindle coolant i meant spindle lubrication, sorry.

OK still not sure what the closed loop is all about. As for our spindle lubrication we just make sure the oil level on the chiller is topped up. Haven't changed ours yet in over 6 years.

Have new questions1:)
1. Could anyone tell me what exact spindle option do i have? I have attached the photo of spindle driver. I'm not an electrician and cant get how much spindle speed do i have. The engraved number on my label is 12000rpm but when i enter in MDI s15000m3 - it rotates on 15000 rpms. How come?

2. I have 4 black tubes go from the X-axis top cover near the spindle? Do you guys know what are they for? Could it be oil-mist option?

3. The air is draining from the spindle nose even when toolholder is clamped (but no so intensively as without it). is that ok for that machine?
4. The load on Z-axis while machine is not moving is 50%. Should i began to look for a new hydrocylinder?

Thanks. And the photo attached for the 1st question

Hello

have a VS50 as well - I will try my best to help here

1) The VS50 came in either 4500 or 12000 - so I would guess you have the 12K. You can tell by looking at the spindle itself - the two are very different.

2) The back tubes should be for the spindle chiller and coolant through (if you have it) - a pic of the top of the spindle would be best.

3) If equipped with spindle through coolant - there is also an air blow that occurs once you turn off the coolant to clear the lines and drawbar - so there might be a small leak - mine has the same thing - just a small flow when no tool is in - barely noticeable.

4) Load should be right around there - its holding up the Z free floating.

John

Have new questions1:)
1. Could anyone tell me what exact spindle option do i have? I have attached the photo of spindle driver. I'm not an electrician and cant get how much spindle speed do i have. The engraved number on my label is 12000rpm but when i enter in MDI s15000m3 - it rotates on 15000 rpms. How come?

2. I have 4 black tubes go from the X-axis top cover near the spindle? Do you guys know what are they for? Could it be oil-mist option?

3. The air is draining from the spindle nose even when toolholder is clamped (but no so intensively as without it). is that ok for that machine?

4. The load on Z-axis while machine is not moving is 50%. Should i began to look for a new hydrocylinder?

1. How do i interpretate the spindle power load time? It says ...

hy evidence :) nice avatar, but too many straigth angles :)

a good answer requires a person with servo knowledge ...

i also have a pack of unanswered questions, but to keep things easy, just be gentle with the machine, and as long as it wont stop during cutting, than all is ok :) kindly !

Additional Spindle Info VS50

Grain_HS_VS50_Spindle.jpg

If it helps, this is the sticker from our 10k rpm spare spindle for comparison.

Also it may interest this thread to know we're unloading our spare spindles at the moment due to some internal shop changes.

More information on the spindles is available on our ebay listing: Two (2) Hitachi Seiki VS-5 Fanuc Spindles, (1) NEW 1k rpm Cat #5 & (1) Used | eBay

The photos there could potentially be helpful, as there is some additional spec/drawings.

Good luck with the trouble shooting.

Hello

have a VS50 as well - I will try my best to help here

1) The VS50 came in either 4500 or 12000 - so I would guess you have the 12K. You can tell by looking at the spindle itself - the two are very different.

2) The back tubes should be for the spindle chiller and coolant through (if you have it) - a pic of the top of the spindle would be best.

3) If equipped with spindle through coolant - there is also an air blow that occurs once you turn off the coolant to clear the lines and drawbar - so there might be a small leak - mine has the same thing - just a small flow when no tool is in - barely noticeable.

4) Load should be right around there - its holding up the Z free floating.

John

More partial help

#1. Can you post a photo or list the serial number on your fanuc motor driver and power supply?

#3. Some spindles "leak" air to create positive pressure within the spindle. This can help reduce entry by dust, mist, or other contaminates.

[/QUOTE]

Back