What's new
What's new

Hmc retaining parallels in a vise

Ryan_503

Plastic
I'm looking for ideas to retain parallels in a vise tower in a horizontal mill. We're using hard jaws with parallels in a Kurt vise tower. We have plates bolted to the sides of the jaws to use as stops so parallel spreaders aren't going to work. The current idea is to use some good die springs with flat faces. I was just curious if anyone had any good ideas. We've used this set-up before and the problems we've had are chips getting under the parallels, springs getting dislodged and lost, things like that.

Drill some holes in the jaws. Epoxy in some neodymium magnets flush, or just shy of the surface.

Expensive, but they make some parallels for exactly what you need (in 1/8" increments or so)... Sorry not finding a good link. I think Teco (probably others too) makes some. The vise jaws have a littel pocket and the paralells have a spring like notch that locks them in place...

QuickChange Parallel Kits On TE-CO
Here they are. Might be cheaper to make once you see how it works, but for $400 time might be better for you. :D

I take leftover metal banding material, cut with tin snips then bend in a "WV" shape to whatever the spacing is. Pallet banding material is spring steel so its perfect. I keep all the banding that comes in and have a collection of heights from 1/2" to 1-1/2".

Like gcoder-05 said, I use this trick all the time. Old bandsaw blades work very well too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Been using the banding trick for 40 years, but sometimes it's just better to make some jaws and mill in the step. Hell of a lot easier to blow off and load parts than monkeying around with parallels all the time- specially on a horizontal...

Go buy some modeling clay. Put a dabs between the jaws and the parallels. Put a block between and tighten down. Sticks rather well.
Or just tighten down on the vise. Open it up, add material, clamp. Make chips.

TBH step jaws sound like the answer. Steel jaws from Monster Jaws are pretty cheap, just add a step. If you're in a pinch then yep, bend some banding stock into a W or Z pattern and use it as a parallel keeper.

Go buy some modeling clay. Put a dabs between the jaws and the parallels. Put a block between and tighten down. Sticks rather well.
Or just tighten down on the vise. Open it up, add material, clamp. Make chips.

I could fill a 5 gallon bucket with modeling clay from vises I have bought from Everett area aerospace companies over the past decade. You wouldn't happen to be in that area would you?

I could fill a 5 gallon bucket with modeling clay from vises I have bought from Everett area aerospace companies over the past decade. You wouldn't happen to be in that area would you?

Not quite; local? no but only 175 mi away. This was something I did entirely on my own. I'd like to say .. great minds ...

More like even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.

We make brass bushings for the magnets and then press it all together. No need for epoxy and the magnets don't magnetize everything around it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Brass makes sense. I know those coated magnets aren't going to compress without crumbling, so I figured for going right into steel, an epoxy fit was desirable over a a press fit. I imagine pressing into brass is no big deal.

Brass makes sense. I know those coated magnets aren't going to compress without crumbling, so I figured for going right into steel, an epoxy fit was desirable over a a press fit. I imagine pressing into brass is no big deal.
Either way works. Two of the best ideas came from us [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I use rubber bands but some of the chemicals I spray on them eat them up. Then I will use zip ties and make a rectangular shaped design and tighten them. They last forever and i reuse them all the time.

Expensive, but they make some parallels for exactly what you need (in 1/8" increments or so)... Sorry not finding a good link. I think Teco (probably others too) makes some. The vise jaws have a littel pocket and the paralells have a spring like notch that locks them in place...

QuickChange Parallel Kits On TE-CO
Here they are. Might be cheaper to make once you see how it works, but for $400 time might be better for you. :D
There are 2 kinds from Teco, 1 snaps in and 1 slips in from the side. I have the snap in set, they are pretty nice.

I'm kind surprised that a reversible step/non-step hard jaw hasn't been released. I guess one could pair and elongate the holes.
There is, I have a set for 8" vises, I think Kurt made them.

I use rubber bands but some of the chemicals I spray on them eat them up. Then I will use zip ties and make a rectangular shaped design and tighten them. They last forever and i reuse them all the time.
I've used truck tarp straps for serious holding power. Punch a new end hole where needed.

Back