Hocut 795B issues
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Hocut 795B issues

    Anyone else having issues with Hocut 795B? We've been running it for years now but, in the past year its really seems to have turned to crap. We started getting a brown waxy build up on everything and its not lasting like it used to. Our sales rep had someone from Houghton in and they took samples and did tests. They said it was grease from the machine but, some of our machines, the grease from the ways is red, not brown. This hasn't been an issue in the past and they couldn't give me an answer why its happening now. Their solution to the issue was to mix it at a heavier concentration which hasn't improved anything. Hoping someone may have some insight and possibly a solution to our issue. If we have to change coolant, we have to go through a validation process with several of our customers and don't really want to go down that road again...:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1263
    Likes (Received)
    673

    Default

    Using it for about 8 years or so, no changes noticed here. Grease might change color when exposed to coolant? I've not had any bad build up, never had special rusting issues with this stuff. I can't even remember right now what I used before, but I had some rusting issues with it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NY USA
    Posts
    852
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    186
    Likes (Received)
    587

    Default

    I use the 795MD and I have noticed a heavy brown film on things in the mills. I suspect some type of build up of chlorides or some other minerals from recharging with tap water. I haven't done any testing yet. I'm on 3 years with out a complete sump out of the the mills so it might just be time. We check and maintain concentrations between 6 and 7% in our equipment. We tap lots of aluminum and stainless so the extra lubricity helps.

    Maybe houghton changed something...I can ask my fluids guy he's pretty knowledgeable

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    If Houghton changed something, they're not owning up to it it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoogieP123 View Post
    Anyone else having issues with Hocut 795B? We've been running it for years now but, in the past year its really seems to have turned to crap. We started getting a brown waxy build up on everything and its not lasting like it used to. Our sales rep had someone from Houghton in and they took samples and did tests. They said it was grease from the machine but, some of our machines, the grease from the ways is red, not brown. This hasn't been an issue in the past and they couldn't give me an answer why its happening now. Their solution to the issue was to mix it at a heavier concentration which hasn't improved anything. Hoping someone may have some insight and possibly a solution to our issue. If we have to change coolant, we have to go through a validation process with several of our customers and don't really want to go down that road again...:
    My experience mirrors yours. I used to get more than a year out of it. In the exact same conditions, after the exact same thorough machine cleaning and replacing of the coolant, and same maintenance, my most recent batch made it about 9 months and it's gone stinky on me.

    Couple this with the fact that Houghton in their infinite wisdom recently banned all web sales of their products, and has no distributor within 350 miles of me. So they've made it hard to buy.

    I'm looking for something else. I've used 795-B for years and have been happy with it. Not anymore.
    Last edited by ZfMax; 07-28-2019 at 01:11 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    180
    Likes (Received)
    548

    Default

    Same experience. After years trouble-free, I had a batch of 795-B go bad in less than a month some time around December 2018. I'm not ready to blame their product though; one machine going rancid is hardly good evidence. Paying a little more for coolant that doesn't require much care has been a priority though.

    I used the opportunity to switch all three machines to Blaser Synergy 735, and while it hasn't quite lived up to the hype, it has been issue free.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    I have one machine with 3+ years on it's first batch of 795b. Absolutely loved the coolant. Added a mill turn last year around this time. Filled it up with new 795b.

    Around 8 months later I have complete coolant separation and a brown scum on the surface. Thought it was because of the new machine's tramp oil...

    But after a year of topping off my old machine with the newer coolant it's starting to make a strange smell also.

    I was going to start fresh in both machines with new 795b but after reading this I might have to change.

    Not very happy about this.. it was such good coolant.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    19,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    11784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rifle guy View Post
    I have one machine with 3+ years on it's first batch of 795b. Absolutely loved the coolant. Added a mill turn last year around this time. Filled it up with new 795b.

    Around 8 months later I have complete coolant separation and a brown scum on the surface. Thought it was because of the new machine's tramp oil...

    But after a year of topping off my old machine with the newer coolant it's starting to make a strange smell also.

    I was going to start fresh in both machines with new 795b but after reading this I might have to change.

    Not very happy about this.. it was such good coolant.
    No klew if Houghton have changed the coolant formulation. I use a different one, (795-MP-RHS) and not enough to have useful experience, even so.

    I AM aware that what with a population boom, my County, the tapwater has gone serious harder, and far, far, more heavily Chlorinated off the back of the new treatment facility and intake sources.

    Anyone with the problem running a small enough batch size of it they could run a trial mix off de-ionized or spring water?

    Page Two:

    Climate-change-that-isn't-happening has seen several other changes to the environment. Fungoides adapting to wider temperature extremes, "flesh eating bacteria" (WTF? do they otherwise send out for Pizza?) turning up all over new places...

    This may be sumthin' "new", or sumthin' "old" just gone more aggressive, biological-challenge-wise?

    Houghton ought to be twigged to this thread?
    Last edited by thermite; 07-29-2019 at 07:37 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    72
    Likes (Received)
    411

    Default

    We are running 795-H, and have noticed similar issues within the last couple years.

    A couple machines have had the coolant separate after 6-12 months, and the largest machine in the shop (with approx 400 gallons of coolant in it) that we have maintained and topped off for about 5 years with no issues, has started to separate.

    The rest of the mills (we have 10 of them) and all of the lathes have been relatively trouble free. So I don't know if it is something we did, or what the deal is. For the machine with 5 years on it, I guess it is time. But was wondering myself if they changed something... Or a bad batch...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Sounds like what you are describing are industrial soaps build up. This can come from many different things, Hard water, high calcium and the coolant itself can create these soaps.
    Advanced Chemical Solutions, We formulate for hard water and use additives so the machines stay clean and free from these soaps. Our Nano Tech 6800 or 7000 are the cleanest running coolant on the market today. call at 330-283-3965 for information on a free trial.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    19,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    11784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWP064 View Post
    Sounds like what you are describing are industrial soaps build up. This can come from many different things, Hard water, high calcium and the coolant itself can create these soaps.
    Advanced Chemical Solutions, We formulate for hard water and use additives so the machines stay clean and free from these soaps. Our Nano Tech 6800 or 7000 are the cleanest running coolant on the market today. call at 330-283-3965 for information on a free trial.
    Perhaps you've missed it, but Houghton has been very, very successful - historically - at doing all of those things FOR US. "Right out of the drum". Nothing extra needed. Allows their customers to just go make chips.

    Reason I went for their lesser-know 795-MP-RHS is off the back of PM member's experience with it staying sweet over a serious multiple of YEARS. No muss, no fuss. No extra cost or time.

    Something may have changed.

    Or not.

    We might only be gathering a concentration of bad news in one place by statistical accident.

    Houghton was good enough at their craft to have made products we adopted and liked, I'd hope they are still good enough at it to sort the current issue and correct - or come up with a counter to a new set of challenges. Their rice bowl, not mine.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    HI DoogieP123

    We have been running 795 B FOR 10 years and we have been having the same problem as you, and meany other shops. I would like to know if you or anyone has come up with any solution for the problem ? I think i might know whats going on. I would like to know what distributor you and any one else out there was buying their 795 B from our problem started when we switched to a different distributor who was selling it in 5 gallon pails that were not from Houghton .The difference was very noticeable the brown build up rust and stink .

    Please reply
    Thank you
    DANN

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DANMK View Post
    HI DoogieP123

    We have been running 795 B FOR 10 years and we have been having the same problem as you, and meany other shops. I would like to know if you or anyone has come up with any solution for the problem ? I think i might know whats going on. I would like to know what distributor you and any one else out there was buying their 795 B from our problem started when we switched to a different distributor who was selling it in 5 gallon pails that were not from Houghton .The difference was very noticeable the brown build up rust and stink .

    Please reply
    Thank you
    DANN
    I came up with a solution. It's called Trim Microsol 690XT. Far superior in every aspect to 795B. Readily available on Amazon or from Zoro for a very reasonable price. I'm kicking myself for using 795B for so long.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1263
    Likes (Received)
    673

    Default

    At this point ym guess would be the water some poeple are using.
    I'm still using 795B, with pretty much zero issues.
    My Brother mills turn the coolant rapidly and the way it drains there isn't any way for it to sit. These machines are greased, but use a small amount.
    My Takisawa lathes occasionally sit for a day or 2, Vactra #2 for the way lube, again zero issues with the 795B.
    Good luck!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    180
    Likes (Received)
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZfMax View Post
    I came up with a solution. It's called Trim Microsol 690XT. Far superior in every aspect to 795B. Readily available on Amazon or from Zoro for a very reasonable price. I'm kicking myself for using 795B for so long.
    We absolutely hate the Trim 690XT. It foams and evaporates like crazy on our high pressure machine, and makes the whole shop smell like burning coolant. I was super happy for years with Hocut 795B until they changed the formula or something. Switched to Blaser Synergy 735, which smells and looks great, but has really bad performance. We then switched to Trim 690XT. The performance was close to Hocut795B, but again it was absolutely awful to work with.

    We are now using Castrol Hysol MB50. It requires an additive or it foams like crazy with our soft city water. Performance is good otherwise, and the smell is very mild.

    Endlessly searching for something that looks and smells like water but performs like neat oil...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    How long have you been using the Trim Microsol 690 ?

    Thank you very much

    Danmk

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    HI who do you buy your 795B from ?


    Thank you very much
    DANMK

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Hi have you found a solution to the 795 b problem, we are having the same problem the first five years were great and now its junk, Have had our water checked an nothing has changed.

    Thank you

    DANMK

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    742
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    350
    Likes (Received)
    125

    Default

    DANMK, the shop I work in used HOCUT 795 (no B, don't know what the difference is) for many years with no trouble and maybe 5 years ago it started leaving ugly brown residue inside the machines. My boss called (this was before I got there) Houghton and they asked for the date code on the drum, then told him it had a shelf life and it was no good anymore. They only had 2 Haas's back then and used very little coolant. I believe the drum was some years old. Shortly after I got there I had enough of the ugliness and constant cleaning so I tried a couple different synthetic and semi-synthetic coolants I knew were good. The problem is my operator is apparently very sensitive to the smells and didn't like them. She's the best I've ever worked with and I need to keep her happy, so we decided to go back to HOCUT 795 and deal with the cleaning because it has zero odor. I mean none at all.
    Now we get in in 5 gallon pails, it's been maybe a year or two now I guess, and there's been no problem. We get ours from the David Weber Oil Co. in New Jersey.
    The only other thing we're doing different besides using pails and buying less more often, is I carefully measure the concentration. I'm sure you do too since you've used it for so long with no trouble. But, that's my story with it.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •