What's new
What's new

Holders Question

cmiddl01

Plastic
I have a chance to set up my shop with some good tooling. We have a Hermle C42 (18k spindle 5axis), Hermle (10k spindle C60 5axis), Makino A81 (12k spindle Horz 4 axis), and soon a Starrag STC800 (30k Spindle Horz.5 Axis) My choices are

Heat Shrink

Shunk Tendos

Rego-Fix Power Grip.

What are your guys experience with these for long reach? is the vibration damping of a hydrologic chuck with the cost of the Shunk Tendos?

The Hermle guys are going to try to sell you on the Rego-Fix. I personally have the Schunk hydraulic for my larger tools and the MST monocurve for the small stuff. (Heat Shrink) I have found those to be the perfect combination of reach and rigid enough to do some work.. also I can blow air thru the nose for those hard to reach pockets. PS, this is in a Hermle C42 as well. With the 25k spindle.

I heat shrink everything. Hydraulics are nice, but hard to justify the extra cost unless you are really putting a beating on tools. In many cases the cost of a sleeve for the hydraulic is more than the cost of a new quality shrink holder.

+1 on MST for little tools. The slimlines are a lot easier to source in the US than the monocurve. I use Erickson for big tools, but probably any "high grip" shrink fit would work fine.

I heat shrink everything. Hydraulics are nice, but hard to justify the extra cost unless you are really putting a beating on tools. In many cases the cost of a sleeve for the hydraulic is more than the cost of a new quality shrink holder.

+1 on MST for little tools. The slimlines are a lot easier to source in the US than the monocurve. I use Erickson for big tools, but probably any "high grip" shrink fit would work fine.

What heat shrink are you using? I got a price on a Pioneer heat shrink holder and it was pretty expensive.

On the HSK63: Erickson/kennametal for anything .250 or bigger. MST for everything smaller.

On the CAT40 (dual contact): YG-1 for .250 or bigger. Mix of MST and collet holders for everything smaller.

Erickson is extremely reasonably priced for HSK, but much more expensive for CAT40. YG-1 makes a dual contact CAT40 that seems roughly comparable to the Erickson. MST does not make a dual contact CAT40 (much to my dismay), so I use them sparingly on that machine. Anything from MST will be expensive, but they are the best tool holders I have used.

Back