What's new
What's new

Hollow Sub-spindle lathe a thing?

ARB

Titanium
Is a through style sub-spindle on a lathe a thing? I have some tubes that we are making that need work on both ends. The longest one is 28". A sub-spindle machine would be one solution to making the parts in one go. The OD is 7/8" so I don't need a beast of a machine to run them. In a perfect world it would discharge the finished part right out the back of the sub.

Thanks

Adam

A hollow sub spindle with part ejected from the rear is not uncommon. We just purchased two NLX's and were considering that option, but chose not to. How easy it would be to retrofit an existing machine, I cant say.

Absolutely!

I can run 65mm right through the back door on one of mine, and 25mm through another - if I make the needed changes to the set-up. (yank the part ejector cyl mostly)

Now I have another that is NOT set up to doo such thing, but if the rotary union on the back was changed to some other means to actuate the sub collet - then it too could doo it.

Now - with that said - it is not just as simple as having a through holed spindle.
You need to be able to mount up a "sub-spindle liner", and this is much more involved than the one that you have in your main spindle.
You need the liner to be solid and NOT spin with the machine - since you will be stacking parts in there.
This tube will likely be PVC if possible so that it can spin in the sub w/o siezing. (I before E except after S ?)
This tube will stick out the back of your machine about 2' when the sub is HOME.

THEN you need an outter liner that will start at the back of the machine and stick back at least as far as your inner tube, and back as far as needed to get to your discharge point.
Example, on my 65 machine, the inner liner is prolly 6' long and my parts trays set on top of my 1/2 yard chip hopper 2-3 feet beyond the rear sheet metal.
The inner tube cannot fall out of the outter when it is all the way up to the main spindle.

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Absolutely!

I can run 65mm right through the back door on one of mine, and 25mm through another - if I make the needed changes to the set-up. (yank the part ejector cyl mostly)

Now I have another that is NOT set up to doo such thing, but if the rotary union on the back was changed to some other means to actuate the sub collet - then it too could doo it.

Now - with that said - it is not just as simple as having a through holed spindle.
You need to be able to mount up a "sub-spindle liner", and this is much more involved than the one that you have in your main spindle.
You need the liner to be solid and NOT spin with the machine - since you will be stacking parts in there.
This tube will likely be PVC if possible so that it can spin in the sub w/o siezing. (I before E except after S ?)
This tube will stick out the back of your machine about 2' when the sub is HOME.

THEN you need an outter liner that will start at the back of the machine and stick back at least as far as your inner tube, and back as far as needed to get to your discharge point.
Example, on my 65 machine, the inner liner is prolly 6' long and my parts trays set on top of my 1/2 yard chip hopper 2-3 feet beyond the rear sheet metal.
The inner tube cannot fall out of the outter when it is all the way up to the main spindle.

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Pretty much what I was was thinking about. Thanks

Blasted though your part of the country over the weekend but was a bit too far out of the way to go Easter egg hunting on your farm.

I doubt it.

The 80/90 Service Plaza (rest area?) just inside the state line is served by our town.
I can hear the traffic at night from here.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A hollow sub spindle with part ejected from the rear is not uncommon. We just purchased two NLX's and were considering that option, but chose not to. How easy it would be to retrofit an existing machine, I cant say.

We considered doing the retrofit to our NLX but decided to save the money toward a future machine. Our current chip conveyor would've gotten in the way, and it wouldn't have been worth the expense to replace that as well.

Yeah usually you need an extended chip conveyor or you can always pull the chip conveyor and reinstall the chip pan if the material removal doesn't preclude that. On our Tsugami M08SYs you can get side or rear conveyors and the extended conveyor was an option for the side discharge.

As far as conveyor issues, I have already cut down a standard conveyor to get underneath a gantry unloader.
Kan't slip a 1/2 yard roll-away, nor a 55 gal drum under it, but we have a lower roll-away cart that we use on that.

Just cut 18-24" out of the center section and weld it back together and pull a number of sections out of the belting and you're good.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back