UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Vise View Post
    Attachment 245013

You can buy our new pallets for less than $100. Make them for $50.
    How accurately does the moving jaw end repeat side to side? How much does the screw have to rotate between clamp and unclamp? While I am asking questions, 30 or 45 degree dovetail?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

image2.jpgimage.jpg

Here's my home brew pallet changer. Similar to Orange's setup...ironically built on my old unused (unmentionable) 4" double vise body. I modified the jaw carriers into a 45* wedge, matching 45* wedges on the bottom of the pallet. I used pin/diamond pin's for alignment. Easily repeated to .0001". Worked like a champ, until I broke off one of the pins. It was a pretty tight fit and sometimes wouldn't come off easily. I guess I yanked on it wrong too many times and eventually broke the pin off (round not diamond). I successfully used a pair of of these pallets that I made a family of parts on. One pallet running while I swapped parts around on the other one. Ran a couple hundred sets of my parts and haven't gotten around to running any since. I eventually need to figure out how to get that one broken pin out and try again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    How accurately does the moving jaw end repeat side to side? How much does the screw have to rotate between clamp and unclamp? While I am asking questions, 30 or 45 degree dovetail?
    The sliding jaw has a few thou of clearance but all of the X-axis locating is done on the fixed jaw. The sliding jaw is slave to the fixed jaw.

3-4 turns of the screw to clamp/unclamp.

45-degree dovetail.

4. Likes DavidScott, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric U View Post
    image2.jpgimage.jpg

Here's my home brew pallet changer. Similar to Orange's setup...ironically built on my old unused (unmentionable) 4" double vise body. I modified the jaw carriers into a 45* wedge, matching 45* wedges on the bottom of the pallet. I used pin/diamond pin's for alignment. Easily repeated to .0001". Worked like a champ, until I broke off one of the pins. It was a pretty tight fit and sometimes wouldn't come off easily. I guess I yanked on it wrong too many times and eventually broke the pin off (round not diamond). I successfully used a pair of of these pallets that I made a family of parts on. One pallet running while I swapped parts around on the other one. Ran a couple hundred sets of my parts and haven't gotten around to running any since. I eventually need to figure out how to get that one broken pin out and try again.
    Little off topic-
    Assuming your broken pin is in a blind hole. You can drill a small hole (maybe 1/4 - 1/3 the diameter of your broken pin) through the broken pin, fill it with oil, put a pin in the hole that has a good slip fit and give the pin a couple solid shots with a hammer. Then by the power of hydraulics, the broken pin will come right out.

6. Likes Eric U liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spruewell View Post
    Little off topic-
    Assuming your broken pin is in a blind hole. You can drill a small hole (maybe 1/4 - 1/3 the diameter of your broken pin) through the broken pin, fill it with oil, put a pin in the hole that has a good slip fit and give the pin a couple solid shots with a hammer. Then by the power of hydraulics, the broken pin will come right out.
    I’ll give that a try before I run those parts again. Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    HUH?! Please elaborate. I cant imagine how, if the pallet table is aligned properly, this could happen.
    I just saw this, and we recently had an issue with them. This pallet system uses a chain drive with a pin sticking up. When the pin passes by the pallet, it grabs on and drags it on and off the skid.

The chain isn’t exactly rigid, so there’s some wiggle to the pin. If it just so happens the pin doesn’t quite line up when entering the channel on the pallet, the pallet can be released without a stop, thus it falls into the machine. Not a fun time. Those plates are friggin heavy.