What's new
What's new

Home made coolant mist system

Kurt6464

Plastic
I've been looking at the Fogbuster system but to me it seems a bit pricey. I'm tinkering with a home made system that works similarly to it. I'm using a water filter canister with 1/4 npt inlet and outlet (Amazon$15), fittings and 1/4" dia hose...32ft(Amazon $16 ), a flexible coolant hose with valve and manifold (Wish.com $13), and regulator ( $14 Amazon again). Has anyone had success making a pressurized system such as this? If so, any advice? Thanks in advance.

I dinked around with a couple setups when I had a hobby mill. I had a koolmist, and also made my own. Theu all worked but very finiky. Any micro particle will clog it, differential pressure changes with changing liquid levels etc. As soon as you get it tuned right. Turn your back and something goes wrong. It doesn't have enough air volume to clear chips, so slotting and drilling doesn't work well. Better to hit everything with a fire hose from a distance where you cant miss (like my Brother S500). I can walk away and not worry about it.

This is only for a smaller knee-type mill with a cnc conversion that sits in my garage. There is no doubt in my mind that coolant is MUCH better, but it sure leaves a mess (wife not happy, so...). Im hoping that I can get this worked out so she (and I) are happy. I may fab an enclosure someday, but for now the mist is the way to go.

This is only for a smaller knee-type mill with a cnc conversion that sits in my garage. There is no doubt in my mind that coolant is MUCH better, but it sure leaves a mess (wife not happy, so...). Im hoping that I can get this worked out so she (and I) are happy. I may fab an enclosure someday, but for now the mist is the way to go.

Try over at the hobby sites, several threads on this.

Back