What's new
What's new

Hooo boy. Try to find a 2deg taper x 1.25 reamer on short notice!

DMSentra

Cast Iron
Isn't happening I guess. Talked to XKut and they're out, the only supplier I can find dimensions on big enough to work. 1.22" on the big side of the hole with 2"/ft taper. Anyone have one in their pocket I can stop by and pick up? lol

Assuming the title is correct (2 deg. taper) . . .

Anyone sharpen reamers in Eugene? Wouldn't be cheap but someone with a decent T&C grinder should be able to make you one up from a standard reamer.

I doubt we're talking blacksmith tolerances, but you could grind a taper on the blades of an adjustable reamer and fight it for a hole or two.

What's confusing to me is that the title says two degrees and the body of the question says 2" per foot. I'd think someone would have the 2" per foot taper in stock or be willing to grind something to fit . . .??

Does anyone stock a reamer that size with that TPF? Seems like something that would normally be a special.
Even then I would imagine that it's pretty pricey.

Is there any way you can 3D machine the hole?

I'm on the confused team here.

Is it 2 degrees or 2" per foot?

If it is 2 degrees, is it 2 degrees per side, or 2 degrees included?

Standard taper pins seem to have 1/4" per foot, which works out to about 1.2 degrees included. I assume this isn't for a standard taper pin.

I'm on the confused team here.

Is it 2 degrees or 2" per foot?

If it is 2 degrees, is it 2 degrees per side, or 2 degrees included?

Standard taper pins seem to have 1/4" per foot, which works out to about 1.2 degrees included. I assume this isn't for a standard taper pin.

2"/ft taper per MOOG for a SuoerDuty lower balljoint.

Does anyone stock a reamer that size with that TPF? Seems like something that would normally be a special.
Even then I would imagine that it's pretty pricey.

Is there any way you can 3D machine the hole?

The only source I've found for this one is out of normal stock, yet they still have a current ebay listing for it. So far all the others I've found with the same taper are smaller dia. so won't work.
I've never seen mention of a conical interpolation? We we talking about that last night trying to come up with a solution.

Unless something throws a wrench in the works that's what I decided to do. I have a grinder buddy that said he can fix me up as soon as I can get a 1.25" EM to him.

I will typically buy a tapered endmill and pocket mill the tapered wall. Do it a lot for tapered bushings. 4 deg is pretty common.

I have a straight flute 1.250" carbide tipped reamer you could grind. I'm about 2 hours NW of Eugene.

Are you making Superduty knuckles?

I wonder:

How well would taking a smaller taper reamer with the same taper per foot and use that like an endmill to interpolate the hole?

Might be a bit slappy but should work if you only have a few to do.

If you have a rotary table and a BP you could nod the head and crank the turntable to mill your taper using a standard endmill.

Back